Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the car on June 26th and have taken it in for service, once and will take it in, again, tomorrow for another inspection. Problem is when backing out of the driveway and when I reach the foot of the driveway (which is pretty vertical) and turn the steering wheel to the left there is a loud grinding sound. I then proceed to put it in Drive and drive up the driveway a short distance then put it back in reverse, and down the driveway I go, again. It doesn’t happen when I’m at the bottom of the driveway and turn the steering wheel to the right. I spent 2 hrs yesterday at the dealership only to be informed there were no issues. They took for a test drive and couldn’t find any problems. The problem(s) is still there because the grinding sound popped up, again, twice, today. I Would appreciate any advice on what could be the problem(s). Thank you.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,901 Posts
Since you say the foot of your driveway is pretty vertical could something be bottoming out, like the lower part of the front bumper or splash shield? Might want to have someone outside the car look closely at the lower part of your vehicle when you back out and turn the steering wheel to the left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We took your suggestion and my husband stood outside of the car while I backed down the driveway. Took both soft and hard turns but nothing happened. No dragging of the front bumper. We’re disappointed because the car is new and I’m hope buying this car wasn’t a mistake. We appreciate your suggestion and we thank you.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,007 Posts
It would also help if you could record video of your experience. Not just so you can show the dealership what's happening, but also to show everyone here. (inside of the car, and outisde too, if you can hear the noise outside of the car)
(it also helps people take you seriously. It's amazing how many people won't believe you unless they see/hear evidence)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great suggestion. I think the dealership is puzzled because they don’t have a clue what it is. But we’ll record it and give it to them. Thx for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Are you moving when this happens or at a standstill when turning the wheel? It could be part of the abs/stability control sensing something weird when turning that one direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m moving slowly down to the foot of the driveway. It only happens when I turn the steering wheel left. When the grinding sounds the EAM yellow light illuminates. It hasn’t happen today and I’m scheduled to take it in on Friday. The last two days We were ready to video record the experience but nothing has happened. Thx for your email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts