Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed but I’m too freaked out to look. I lost my fob key and the valet key. I am using the spare. Subaru wants $400+ for a new fob key and $200 for a non-fob key. I have called a locksmith and am waiting for their estimate. I’m sick to my stomach. Why so much? What might the locksmith charge? UPDATE: The locksmith says its "too new" and I have to go to the dealer. True?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Your dealer is "stealing" from you. Punch your vin in to see how much it would actually be. There usually are 3 prices that dealers adhere to. Their cost (to buy from Subaru), the MSRP and their marked up price. The 3rd one is usually the MSRP plus a certain percentage. Some dealers sell at combination between MSRP and the marked up pricing. Once you have your vin punched in on that site, it should tell you the MSRP pricing and you can take that to the dealer and tell them that's what Subaru is charging. They usually match that.

Some locksmiths unfortunately do not have access to the latest and greatest tools needed to program the keys hence their answer "it's too new". You can try a different locksmith if you want.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
660 Posts
Yeah, find another dealer. I got a third key for my 12 (Combined fob & key) out the door from my dealer for about $100. I got a third Push to Start fob for my ‘19 out the door from my dealer for like $165. Parts, cutting and programming.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
+1 on possibly sourcing the item yourself and finding another dealer. I'm sure that price included programming and cutting of the new key, but that's $300 over the cost of the FOB itself.

If you want more details on what's required, you might hit up SubaruOnlineParts.com who is a vendor here. They also give out discount codes for member to save on the price, free shipping, etc.:

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
660 Posts
Yeah, find another dealer. I got a third key for my 12 (Combined fob & key) out the door from my dealer for about $100. I got a third Push to Start fob for my ‘19 out the door from my dealer for like $165. Parts, cutting and programming.
Just looked up the actual numbers. Seattle WA USA

Spare all-in-one key fob for the 2012 - $65 from dealer parts counter + $25 for Service to cut & program (was done in early 2013)
Spare push-to-start fob for the 2019 - $95 from dealer parts counter + $45 for Service to program (cut the e-key would have been $45 more) (was done summer 2019)

Note in both cases I brought in all other keys with me as it is required they be programmed as a set

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I guess my dealer needs a new yacht. I'll do some calling around. I'm not good at negotiating but my husband is, maybe I'll ask him to give the dealer a "second chance". Appreciate your help..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bestbuysubaru.com is the Colorado Springs dealer. Their parts are dirt cheap compared to any other Subaru part seller out there -- dealership or otherwise. I buy from them every time.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Your dealer is "stealing" from you. Punch your vin in to see how much it would actually be. There usually are 3 prices that dealers adhere to. Their cost (to buy from Subaru), the MSRP and their marked up price. The 3rd one is usually the MSRP plus a certain percentage. Some dealers sell at combination between MSRP and the marked up pricing. Once you have your vin punched in on that site, it should tell you the MSRP pricing and you can take that to the dealer and tell them that's what Subaru is charging. They usually match that.

Some locksmiths unfortunately do not have access to the latest and greatest tools needed to program the keys hence their answer "it's too new". You can try a different locksmith if you want.
I can't find keys.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called a
Bestbuysubaru.com is the Colorado Springs dealer. Their parts are dirt cheap compared to any other Subaru part seller out there -- dealership or otherwise. I buy from them every time.
I called my dealer and asked for the part number and they refused to give it to me. Is that typical? The parts places I call need the part number. So I'm screwed either way.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
847 Posts
If you’re dealing with a dealer parts department, all you should need to do is give them the VIN and tell them what you’re wanting.

Of course, that is making the assumption the parts guy isn’t an orangutan...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Of course, that is making the assumption the parts guy isn’t an orangutan...
We all know too well how it goes lol.

Me: I need wiper blades for my 2000 Subaru Forester.
Orangutan: Is that awd or 2wd? Is that manual or automatic?

Joking aside, there are genuinely good parts guys, but of course you also have stupid ones.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester X Limited 4spd Auto
29 Posts
@hogtownrocketsled, if you have it, could you post the part number for the 2012 combined key&fob? I didn’t realize that was an option for MY 2012 Forester. I have the 2.5 Touring and it came with two pairs of separate key and fob, and one of the fob no longer works (the lock button broke and tried a new battery already).

Sorry, don’t mean to distract from the main topic here re:2019 key fob.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
660 Posts
@hogtownrocketsled, if you have it, could you post the part number for the 2012 combined key&fob? I didn’t realize that was an option for MY 2012 Forester. I have the 2.5 Touring and it came with two pairs of separate key and fob, and one of the fob no longer works (the lock button broke and tried a new battery already).

Sorry, don’t mean to distract from the main topic here re:2019 key fob.

I had to go digging but found the email from my dealers parts department with the part number -
Subaru 57497AJ10A
This is an integrated fob & key which worked and continues to work perfectly with my '12 Forester.
Make sure you bring all your keys with you when you have it programmed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Hogtownrocketsled and Quuadraria10. That part number does not show up as a fit for my car. Looks like I will need to by a replacement transmitter/fob, (part number 88036FG030), to use with my existing key instead of a key&fob combo. It seems available online for about $30 (new oem or ‘lightly used’ on eBay and northcoastkeyless.com). Will need to look up how to program it, assuming it can be done by the average owner.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
660 Posts
Thanks Hogtownrocketsled and Quuadraria10. That part number does not show up as a fit for my car. Looks like I will need to by a replacement transmitter/fob, (part number 88036FG030), to use with my existing key instead of a key&fob combo. It seems available online for about $30 (new oem or ‘lightly used’ on eBay and northcoastkeyless.com). Will need to look up how to program it, assuming it can be done by the average owner.
Subaru 57497AJ10A will not show up as a fit for your '12 Forester. That's why I had to do research to find a integrated key/fob that would work with the '12. It will work perfectly, as mine has for 7+ years. That's why these groups are a benefit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Subaru 57497AJ10A will not show up as a fit for your '12 Forester. That's why I had to do research to find a integrated key/fob that would work with the '12. It will work perfectly, as mine has for 7+ years. That's why these groups are a benefit.
Cool, that’s good to know. Will look into this option as well in that case. So I take it that you have both the separate key & fob set and this combined unit and no issues/conflict if switching back/forth between various keys?

Yeah these boards are great!

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
660 Posts
Cool, that’s good to know. Will look into this option as well in that case. So I take it that you have both the separate key & fob set and this combined unit and no issues/conflict if switching back/forth between various keys?

Yeah these boards are great!
Yes. I have the 2 original keys & fobs + the vallet key. (I purchased the car new.) Everything works perfectly as if the integrated fob/key came with the car. That’s why you need to bring all your other keys with you when they code the new one. I primarily use the integrated fob/key as it’s with my other keys, but use one of the original separate key & fob when I need to take the car in for service and leave the keys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts