Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
None None
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am currently shopping for a new car and the Forester is one of my final choices.

I just queried the dealer as to whether you can you lock out the cargo area- as in if the rear hatch is locked and you have to valet the car can someone access the cargo area through those fold down seats or can they be locked out?

He replies that you CANNOT lockout the cargo area in this manner. That seems a bit unbelievable, does anyone have thoughts on this? It seems like a major drawback considering the Forester is made to haul a lot of stuff around.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
518 Posts
You could put in a pet/cargo barrier for honest people, but as long as the rear seats folds down you can get in the back.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,267 Posts
Welcome, @SubaruMickey#64 !

I never thought about this before, but I can't picture that you could do this with any of these types of vehicles. Maybe something truck-based (with an actual frame) where you could weld some custom cage/wall, etc.? Not sure if I'm right, but it seems logical.

Mike

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,136 Posts
..if the rear hatch is locked and you have to valet the car can someone access the cargo area through those fold down seats or can they be locked out? He replies that you CANNOT lockout the cargo area in this manner. That seems a bit unbelievable
Sounds plenty believable to me. Do you know of a vehicle that CAN be 'locked out' in the manner you describe? What's to stop someone from reaching over the seat, sliding the cargo cover back, and grabbing whatever is back there? Or do you know of a rigid locking tonneau cover for the cargo area in similar vehicles?

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
156 Posts
The real issue is if you cage the back off, so long as valet has the key (duh) from inside the car just unlock the door and open the rear hatch.

If you are paranoid get a dash cam that has view into the interior.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
I was amazed that the 95 Honda Civic had a "valet key", but once you are in the car, there's a mechanical "open trunk" latch next to the seat. LOL! There are a few threads on providing a locked storage area, but probably these are for smaller items like camera, gun. A locked roof mount box might be OK depending on your use case.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
158 Posts
Downside of a hatchback or SUV, no way to properly secure any items like a Sedan.

·
Registered
None None
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seems to be the consensus here and with other people I've queried. Good points made above about simply rolling back or getting under that cargo cover, something I had not considered.

My concern was not just a valet scenario but also with anyone managing to break into the passenger cabin and then being able to access the cargo area. But that cover would negate any security.

I guess you take the risk and hope for the best. Appreciate the input!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are there any sedans that don't have a trunk release button in the cabin these days?
Legacy has a valet button in the glove box. Push it and truck won't open, then you lock the glove box.

A lot of owners find out about that button when curious kids press it and don't say anything- ask me how I know :grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts