Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 - Lifting questions?

('19+) 
10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Syncros#10 
#1 ·
Looking for some folks with a lift on a 19' Forester. I have a few questions about tire size, TPMS sensors, and Fuel mileage.

I'm also curious about taking this thing to CO in a week in stock form with just skid plates (Primitive full kit). I wanted to hit a few passes, Imogene, Alpine loop, and some other easier trails. However, I'm watching some Youtube folks struggle with some very basic obstacles. I'm not looking to hit Moab with it. It's was bought more for some light adventure and camping. I do have a 99 Explorer Sport with 33's that I know will do just fine but, I'd like to have the comfort and MPGs of the new Forester.

#2 ·
2019 Sport with 2" ReadyLift and ATK02 tires. Alignment took effort to get just right, matching the specs sent by ReadyLift. If there is a change to gas mileage, I don't see it. Others may claim there is, but the change in the odometer calibration is probably the most of it. The ATK02s change the number 4.6% lower, which increases the warranty period.

While I am very familiar with Moab, Rubicon, etc..., I have no expertise on Colorado trails.

#7 ·
Looks great! I initially wanted the sport but at the last minute switched to the limited. Did you stick with the Ready lift recommended tire size? If so, could you have going bigger?

For the TPMS issue, I'm looking at new rims and have read a couple of reports calibrating the new sensors to the Forester. Looks like you stuck with the stock wheels so it may not be an issue for you.

I'm still trying to figure out just how off roady I can get with this thing. We are planning on hitting some of the Colorado stuff but Moab would be within striking distance from where we will be at and I may not be able to resist hitting it. I know there are some scenic routes out that way too but any recommendations?

#3 ·
As for TPMS, I don't know why a change in tires would matter. I have changed tires on a lot of vehicles with 2 and 4 wheels with TPMS and the function has never been affected.

As for EyeSight, the lift hasn't affected function in any way noticeable. This is with 5,000 miles of experience.

#4 ·
Once the engine area is protected, which functionally means that if you touch a rock the sound will cause you to back up and pick a better line, it is the exhaust that is vulnerable in back. Right where is passes next to the rear differential is can easily be smashed. I'll probably add a motorcycle exhaust heat shield to provide some added security.

Climbing is slow enough that we can reverse and select a better line, if we can hear steel being touched. It is going downhill that always concerns me more because of momentum and the inability to reverse and change a line so many times.

#5 ·
I'll probably add a motorcycle exhaust heat shield to provide some added security.
That is an interesting idea. I have an E-Line carbon fiber pipe guard on my dirtbike exhaust. Let me tell you, that thing can take a serious hit and be no worse for the wear. It does a great job at protecting the pipe from getting smashed against rocks and roots when I take a tumble. Attaches directly to the pipe with radiator style clamps and is unaffected by the heat.

#19 ·
While some prefer a variety of vehicles to choose from, most Forester owners desire a single auto to be a daily driver with the capability to explore.

I'll bet the little bit of extra gasoline I purchase is but a fraction of the cost of owning, maintaining and insuring an extra vehicle.

My now 45,000 miles of experience with a lifted 2019 Forester with wider tires is that there is no gas mileage difference in town, and not much difference at real world highway speeds. There is zero affect on alignment. Zero affect on daily driving. But, there is a BIG difference in ground clearance when it matters when exploring off-road on the relatively easy BLM roads I traverse. Even more so, the approach, departure and break-over angles are greatly improved. The lifted and tough off-road tired Forester has proven to be a GREAT and practical daily driver with reasonable exploration capabilities.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.