Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2019 Forester
Discussion Starter #1
Twice in one week of owning the car, I've headed outside to find the power rear lift gate open. I'm assuming that the issue is the button somehow getting mashed in my pocket, and I'll probably start taking the fob out of my pocket when I get home (maybe even putting it inside a Faraday bag?).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there any evidence that it could somehow be something other than the equivalent of butt dialing? I like the access key fob and push button start, so I don't want to have to disable that, but is there a way to disable just the buttons on the remote?

Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
Just hang it up or put it away, a safe distance from the vehicle and forget about it.
It is all explained in the OM!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Registered
'19 2.5i CVT (prev. '17 2.5i CVT, '09 2.5x 5-speed)
I like the access key fob and push button start, so I don't want to have to disable that, but is there a way to disable just the buttons on the remote?
Has anyone discovered a workaround? Like the OP, I too have found the rear gate of my '19 open on a couple of occasions. There are instructions in the owner's manual for "Disabling keyless action function" but near as I can tell that would only disable keyless access which I want to continue using (i.e, being able to open door by grabbing handle when fob is in my pocket) - and besides, I need a solution that would disable buttons just on my remote, not for the vehicle as a whole, because my wife uses the fob buttons all the time.

I'm hoping for a technical solution (e.g. some setting or programming feature I missed in the manual) or a mechanical one (e.g., a hard cover that could slide over the fob the reduce the likelihood of accidental button pressing). Please resist the urge to suggest I replace all my pants and shorts to fix a problem I have never had with any other fob, including ones form Subaru.

Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
It's not a ghost in the machine - it's you setting it off.

There is no way to stop this from happening shy of keeping your fob out of your pocket when you're home. And remember that this is not just some quick tap of the button - this is a long enough tap (a second or 2) that activates the rear lift gate process.

So when you get home, put your keys on the table or hang them on the wall or whatever.

Remember also that the remote DOES have a range limit - I think about 30 or 40 feet.

For @Somainer one solution would be to remove the battery from your remote fob if you don't ever plan on using yours and your wife still being able to use hers...

Or for a less elegant solution, wrap it in tape - so that you can't accidentally push the button for the 1 or 2 seconds it takes to activate the remote lift gate.

Registered
'19 2.5i CVT (prev. '17 2.5i CVT, '09 2.5x 5-speed)
For @Somainer one solution would be to remove the battery from your remote fob if you don't ever plan on using yours and your wife still being able to use hers...
Thanks for the suggestion @FozzieBalou, but unfortunately when I removed the battery, keyless entry no longer worked.

Anyone have good working knowledge of circuitry hardware? For example, can I pop off the white switch with the green arrow pointing to it in this picture? Given the high cost of replacement fobs (dealer quoted me $260 total including fee to re-program vehicle), I am hesitant to experiment...

I also thought of removing the black button with the red arrow pointing to it, but am concerned that since that button (for the rear gate) is physically connected to the black unlock and lock buttons, breaking off the rear gate button might effect the motion of the other buttons, and/or alter the fit quality of the rubber seal (clear thing in picture).

I would welcome any additional ideas!

Registered
2019 Forester Touring
Try fitting a small o-ring snugly around the switch plunger shaft to make it so the button can鈥榯 be depressed without a huge amount of pressure (compression of the o-ring). Reassemble the fob and see if it does what you want. Might be a simple, easy fix, and easily restored to its original function if desired...

Just an idea...

Registered
2020 Forester Premium
I carry my keyfob on a carabiner clip on a belt loop on my pants. No chance of depressing a button since it isn't in my pocket. My Mom had this problem when she got her new car and had the keys in her purse. She found the tailgate up a couple of times. She started hanging them up on a hook when she got home and hasn't had that problem since.

Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
As suggested in post 7 .... buy a cover. it has been 7 years and never had an accidental opening from the fob in my pocket.

Registered
My rear gate opens itself from time to time when away from the car. Found the fob works 50 feet Way, way to far. Dead batteries, once so bad they had to break in fro the window cuz couldn't get hood open to jump. They replaced interior panels, battery and modules. Swift move and many times battery drained or replaced. Pos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts