Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Subaru Forester Premium came with LED lights in the map lights already, but for some reason Subaru didn't think to upgrade the middle and cargo area lights with the LED versions as well.

I've searched and searched and only find one lighting kit, and even wrote a couple retailers (one online only retailer and one dealer) and came up blank there too.

My question is... the part# H461SFL100 seems to be the LED upgrade kit. But ALL the listings seem to indicate this is just for the front map lights and MAYBE for the dome (room) light. But not the cargo area.

Has anyone upgraded these lights in a 2019, and if so, what did you use?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,146 Posts
There are direct LED replacements available for just about every known incandescent bulb. No kit, no harness, just a plug and play replacement. Try Diode Dynamics, Super Bright LEDs, eBay, Amazon, and the like.

The nomenclature for your bulb should be in the Bulb Chart in the back of the owners manual.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
160 Posts
Yup, got this from Amazon, should replace the majority of your non led bulbs around the car including the license place and under door lights.

Yorkim 194 LED Bulbs Xenon White 6000k Super Bright Newest 5th Generation, T10 LED Bulbs, 168 LED Bulb, LED Bulbs for Car Interior Dome Map Door Courtesy License Plate Lights W5W 2825, Pack of 10

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2019 Touring had the popluar package 3 which included the LED upgrade, but that was just apparently only the dome light/map lights. The rear cargo was incandescent. I went out and bought a Sylvania/OSRam Zevo 921/912 bulb for the cargo area (6000K). It matches the other LED's perfectly. I popped out the dome and it's an OSRAM as well, probaby the zevo series too. I plan on doing the door lights and license bulbs as well.

I only was able to buy the zevo in a 2 pack, so I have a spare one left.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
247 Posts
Yup, got this from Amazon, should replace the majority of your non led bulbs around the car including the license place and under door lights.

Yorkim 194 LED Bulbs Xenon White 6000k Super Bright Newest 5th Generation, T10 LED Bulbs, 168 LED Bulb, LED Bulbs for Car Interior Dome Map Door Courtesy License Plate Lights W5W 2825, Pack of 10
I bought the same set of LEDs, and have replaced the cargo area light and front door puddle lights. The cargo area light assembly was easy to pop out, but getting the bulb into the socket was a pain because of the minimum clearance afforded by the plastic "cage" surrounding the lamp. Or maybe I just have big, non-Japanese hands.

I'd like to replace the license plate lights, but I can't figure out how to get to them. I suspect I have to remove the liner of the lift gate/door, and I am hesitant to do that. I'm famous for getting things like that taken apart and then not being able to get them back together again.

Given the low cost of the LEDs (the package of ten was about $10), I don't know why Subaru doesn't go with LEDs throughout. They consume less power, produce less heat, and emit a whiter, "cleaner" light.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
302 Posts
The license plate lights are removed by sliding the enclosure. Each toward the center of the vehicle. They are tight. The manual addresses this.

·
Registered
2015 2015 2.5i Touring CVT
118 Posts
Suggest you be very careful buying bulbs on eBay or Amazon because there is a lot of cheap Chinese crap on offer there that might cause problems for you. On recommendations from others on this List, I got mine from the very reputable Diode Dynamics. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
168 Posts
I ended up using a non marring flat pry tool to get a lift as it would not budge as in the manual’s description. Once I got the little lift it slid out as described.

Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2015 Forester Ltd cvt
354 Posts
I just unwittingly swapped out the oems in our '15 with Sylvania ZEVO LED replacements and all I can say is save your money. It's dark in there!

The topic needs a bit of research on bulb output before spending money. I might swap back at this point.

Also after reading about CanBus systems I'm not sure the LEDs are allowed to draw any less current than the incandescents that were in there so the specs may be the same (with regard to battery draw). Just shooting from the hip because I haven't looked deeper yet.

Anyone study the various bulb outputs?

·
Registered
2015 Forester Ltd cvt
354 Posts
My 2019 Touring had the popluar package 3 which included the LED upgrade, but that was just apparently only the dome light/map lights. The rear cargo was incandescent. I went out and bought a Sylvania/OSRam Zevo 921/912 bulb for the cargo area (6000K). It matches the other LED's perfectly. I popped out the dome and it's an OSRAM as well, probaby the zevo series too. I plan on doing the door lights and license bulbs as well.

I only was able to buy the zevo in a 2 pack, so I have a spare one left.
My recent experience with the Zevos was less light than the regular oems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My recent experience with the Zevos was less light than the regular oems.
Yeah in the doors, the zevos were worse, but the Yorkim's are good! For the rear cargo area I used the Zevo 912/921, NOT the 194/168 and it seems brighter than stock to me!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Base Ice Silver Metallic
73 Posts
For the Yorkim 194 LED Bulbs Xenon White 6000k Super Bright Newest 5th Generation, T10 LED Bulbs, 168 LED Bulb, LED Bulbs for Car Interior Dome Map Door Courtesy License Plate Lights W5W 2825, Pack of 10 bulbs on Amazon...

Did you buy the T-10 White for $10.99 or the T-10 Canbus-White for $12.99? I tried reading the descriptions on Amazon, but not sure I understand the difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
66 Posts
Ok, I'm stumped, my 2019 Forester manual has no info for the Dome lite Bulb No. The incandescent (OEM) bulb says 12V 8W AL 87 (Toshiba), I'm not finding an LED replacement. The Yorkim bulbs work fine in the Cargo compartment and under door lights. Any suggestions for the Dome light?

I have the LED upgrade but it only affected the front Map lights.

Dave

·
Registered
2019 Forester limited Auto CVT
8 Posts
Omg!!! It’s really not that hard. Pull the bulb u want to replace. See what kind it is.
Go to amazon buy LED replacement.

·
Registered
2019 Forester limited Auto CVT
8 Posts
Just in case anybody was wondering. Replacing license plate lights on a 2019 Subaru Forrester Limited, The light cover must be slid into the center of the vehicle. The manual states they must be slid out words. I guess Subaru didn’t proofread their manual very well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
10 Posts
My 2019 Subaru Forester Premium came with LED lights in the map lights already, but for some reason Subaru didn't think to upgrade the middle and cargo area lights with the LED versions as well.
My 2019 Forester Premium came with the same thing and noticed that too. But I’m not liking them. I prefer the soft white as the middle and cargo lights area.
The bright bluish color from the LED is kinda hard on my eyes.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
10 Posts

Thank you for this, I bought the Yorkim bulbs and replaced all my internal bulbs. What a difference. My old eyes really appreciate the difference.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
9 Posts

I've searched and searched and only find one lighting kit, and even wrote a couple retailers (one online only retailer and one dealer) and came up blank there too.

My question is... the part# H461SFL100 seems to be the LED upgrade kit. But ALL the listings seem to indicate this is just for the front map lights and MAYBE for the dome (room) light. But not the cargo area.

Has anyone upgraded these lights in a 2019, and if so, what did you use?
I had a similar problem with my 2019 Forester Touring which the front and mid domes were replaced but not the cargo dome. I went back an question the dealer which wasnt sure. They stated this is installed when it arrives into port. In my case they did replace the cargo dome with an LED. I did speak with Subaru, Atlanta zone FSR which said the kit is designed with three LED bulbs not four? This does not make sense. However there are many choices out in the aftermarket world and if you wanted it to be from Subaru I would use - https://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/ - which I purchased my accessories from at a 30% discount and free shipping.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On our 2019 Touring I replaced the cargo dome light and the under door entry lighting with these.
Yorkim 194 LED Bulbs Xenon White 6000k Super Bright Newest 5th Generation, T10 LED Bulbs

But the back seat dome light was a different bulb so I replaced with:
YITAMOTOR 10 Pcs 31mm 1.25 Inch 3528 12SMD 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs
I had to bend the tabs a bit to fit this bulb since the tip shape is different than OEM. Not a big deal.

I highly recommend NOT using any "CANBUS" bulbs as they have a resistor and heat sink to mimic the current draw of an incandescent bulb. They get hot as hell and don't save energy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
@PearlWhite

What size is the festoon bulb in the dome light? Is it actually 31mm?

And we're saying that it's a 921 bulb in the rear cargo area? I want to change those two things out...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts