Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a 2019 Forester Sport and am looking to do a 2" lift and run 225/65r17 tires. These tires are 1" larger diameter over the factory tires so the spare would be longer be safe to run. I have a few questions...

Does anyone know the size of the factory temporary spare?

Does anyone know what a suitable size for a temporary spare would be? I'm having trouble finding something that is a 28.5" diameter.

I don't want to run a full size spare. Just looking for a larger diameter donut to match the larger tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
40 Posts
The wheel is to narrow. It will be difficult to go to a taller tire without going to a wider wheel.
I just went to a full sized spare 2 days ago. I bought a stock 17" Forester wheel off of eBay for $70 with free shipping and a used Yokahama 225/60-17 tire from Les Schwab for $74 which is the same size as the Continental AT's I am running. I went with a stock Subaru alloy wheel so I can use my stock lugnuts. With after market wheels you may need extra lugnuts to match the spare. You will have to ditch all of the foam that surrounds the donut now. I notched a 2X4 to span the rear of the opening for support and the spare tire is slightly above the bottom of the floor behind the back seat but not enough to be a problem. A wider or taller tire will not fit easily without more modification.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try to run a 165/90R17 temp spare on the factory spare tire rim. I'd really like to keep the storage room above the spare tire area. They have a 28.7" diameter and the tires I'm going to run are 28.5".

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing a little more digging this is what I found:

- The factory tire is a 225/60 R17 which has a 27.6" diameter.

- The factory spare is a 145/80 R17 which has a 26.1" diameter and a 5.7" width.

- The difference in diameter between the two is 5.7%. Now I know I just need to be within 5.7% of my 225/65 R17 tires to be "safe".

Here's my new plan...

- My tires are 225/65 R17 which is a 28.5" diameter

- The spare I found is 155/90 R17 which is 28" diameter and 6.1" wide

- That puts the difference in diameter at 1.8% which is well within the "safe" range and is only 0.4" wider than the factory spare.

It sounds like the diameter of the spare isn't the concern so I'm hoping that 0.4" increase will still fit like the factory spare. Maybe with just a little trim of the foam.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hoping someone has a good alternative. I know Subaru tells you in the Manual to never install the spare on the front. I'd like to avoid having to change two wheels on the side of the road so a matching spare would be nice.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,506 Posts
There are alternatives, not just good ones.
Roof mount.
Rear hatch mount.
Swing out mount.
The setup that @nikfuL did looked pretty good. Not much (any?) loss of space.
Why Subaru didn't make the well big enough in the first place is up there on the list stupid things I don't like about a Subaru.
My Kia Rio a (MUCH) smaller car had a spare well large enough for a full size tire.
Maybe time for a design change?

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is a bummer as my wifes 1st Forester (2003, 1st out of 4) came with a Matching full sized spare. Only interested in something that can go in the stock storage spot. With the more common 114.3 bolt pattern, it should be easier to find something from a different car that will be closer to the OEM Diameter. I wonder what the Outback has since it's tires are taller than ours.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport and 2019 Forester Touring
58 Posts
I have a 225/60-18 in my 20 sport. I had to remove the foam jack holder of course. this spare still made the floor sit up too high so I also deflated the tire and all is good now. I have a viaair 88p pump that I carry along with a tire plug kit. works great for me.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
56 Posts
I have a 225/60-18 in my 20 sport. I had to remove the foam jack holder of course. this spare still made the floor sit up too high so I also deflated the tire and all is good now. I have a viaair 88p pump that I carry along with a tire plug kit. works great for me.
Good to know. I also have 225/60 tires and want my spare to be the same. I may have to consider going this route. Either that, or raise the floor just enough to clear everything.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did the 215/65/17 option allow the floor to sit flush? What width rim did you mount it on. Thx!
Yes, the floor sits flush but I removed the factory foam piece that would be installed over the original spare. In it's place, I have 3 U-channel pieces fitted to provide support when the hatch area is loaded. The rim width I have 7".

·
Registered
2021 Forester iS ES
12 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased a 2019 Forester Sport and am looking to do a 2" lift and run 225/65r17 tires. These tires are 1" larger diameter over the factory tires so the spare would be longer be safe to run. I have a few questions...

Does anyone know the size of the factory temporary spare?

Does anyone know what a suitable size for a temporary spare would be? I'm having trouble finding something that is a 28.5" diameter.

I don't want to run a full size spare. Just looking for a larger diameter donut to match the larger tires.

Thanks!
My understanding is that this model has 225/60R17 tires as standard and if it has a skinny spare it is a 185/65R17. The Subaru spec is such that no one wheel may be less that 1/4 in or about 6mm less in circumference (or 1/32" tread depth) than any other. Running on a spare is dangerous not because of the width of the tire but because of the impact it will have on the drive train and diff if the tires don't have the same circumference . You will break them if you drive at speed or for long distances - guaranteed!.

I have the 2021 Forester with the same wheels. The skinny spare provided is out of spec (circumference -105mm vs -6mm) from the word go.

The Outback skinny spare with a 215/60R17 is in fact a better fit (-38mm vs -6mm), but still out of spec - you can fit a full 225 on the 7J rim if you want to..

Given that AWD, and in particular Subaru due to the tight specs, cannot have different sized tires in circumference, I have a full spare and the Outback spare. The full spare will be safe for the first 20-30000 km and the Outback spare from about 50-80000 km. Rule of thumb is 1mm tread loss per 12-15000km

Check out
It shows why mismatched tires will ruin your Subi

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
4 Posts
Yes, the floor sits flush but I removed the factory foam piece that would be installed over the original spare. In it's place, I have 3 U-channel pieces fitted to provide support when the hatch area is loaded. The rim width I have 7".

Hi , Im new to the subie community. I found your thread even tho I know its an old thread. I have a 2020 Forester Limited. Im getting ready to do some mods but really struggling with where to put the full size spare tire. Im installing LP 2" lifts with 225/65/17 Toyo Open Country AT3's. I cannot find anyone's thread that has discussed this it detail. Im eventually getting a roof top tent so throwing the spare on a roof rack doesn't work for me nor does storing it in the back of the car. I will have my frig and containers back there. I know i can always go with a swing tire carrier from RigD, Wilco or dirtcom but with my bike rack attached to the swing arm, im sticking out 3 ft or more in the back , plus they are pricey . Any suggestions? Im holding off on my mods until I can find a solution. Did the 225/65/R17 really fit in your spare tire well? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport and 2019 Forester Touring
58 Posts
I have a 225/60-18 in my spare well but had to deflate it a good bit to fit. Also that size is slightly bigger in diameter than the 225/65-17. Take the styrofoam tray out and my viaair 88p pump sits in the wheel along with my roadside kit. Works great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts