Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. There’s some tiny adhesive residue left on the black trim above the center touchscreen in my new 19 Forester. Assuming it’s from the film covering used to protect the touchscreen prior to purchase. Any recommendations on what to use in order to remove the residue? Want to be careful in what I use to clean this part of the vehicle due to sensitivity and proximity of touchscreen. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wax and Grease remover on a microfiber towel. Soak a small part of the towel, lay it over the offending section, apply pressure for 10-15 seconds, gently "buff" the area with very little pressure. It should lift adhesive without marring the plastic. If it doesn't work the first time, repeat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
6 Posts
I had a similar problem with glue residue being left on the rear armrest cupholder when I removed the factory plastic protection. (which was missed by the prep crew). Since it's a piano black finish, I worried about a chemical solution. What worked was the repeated application of simple scotch tape to pull the adhesive off the shiny black surface. Took a bit, but it removed all the adhesive without marring the plastic surface. Might want to try this before the chemicals.

Rich

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1 Posts
"Soft Scrub" or "Zud" cream cleanser

"Soft Scrub" or "Zud" cream cleanser with a wet paper towel - then wipe or wash off residue. I used them to remove glass furniture stickers residue glue and no harm was done to finish. - Test first on and inconspicuous area.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,802 Posts
Are you people crazy? Soft Scrub is an ABRASIVE....do not let this stuff near shiny plastic. Plastic is not glass.

As for the chemicals--alcohol, Goo Gone, wax and grease remover, all can destroy plastic and I would avoid them near the piano black stuff "just in case"...using Scotch Tape to lift residue is the least harmful approach and would work fine. Another approach might be to use Vaseline aka petroleum jelly to soften the goo, and wipe up with a soft towel.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts