Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that the JDM Forester SK LED Fog lights (H4517SJ000) work in the USDM models? If the vehicle is already equipped with fog lamps and relay (Sport, Limited, Touring), would the JDM version be a simple (albeit expensive) plug and play option? Anyone on the forum installed these yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
2 Posts
I’m wondering the same thing. Where do these plug into? The fog light itself is the same as the US model it seems, but where do the extra set of lights plug into? Is it a different fog light harness on the Japanese model? Is it a DRL?

JDM part diagrams or a shop manual would help if anyone has it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,172 Posts
Is there a particular reason for going with the JDM fog light units over the US? Is it just because they're LED?

OK. I see ... there is a small LED strip at the top of the housing but still the same rectangular fog light...

Automotive parking light Grille Car Vehicle Hood

Judging from one I saw on eBay (for $550 ...! holy hell! another is 670 bucks!) the fog light would be the same, but the LED strop above is "new" ... there looked to be a simple 2-wire connector on it that probably would need a specific connector on the headlight wiring harness or some other source of the juice...

Auto part Plastic Gas Carbon Composite material

Seems like an expensive (and yet minor) upgrade.

Here's a JDM cover without the LED for about a hundred bucks (on eBay)

Glasses Goggles Vision care Automotive lighting Sunglasses

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,172 Posts
Looking at a few other places, I can see that the Limited model (that you both have) uses a round fog light and not the square. But the Sport uses a square model - so it may be much cheaper just to buy the fogs for a Sport model and swap them out and add some chrome trim to them (if you're wanting that shiny trim).

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
293 Posts
Wow that is a very expensive upgrade for fog lights! They do look sharp though. That top light on the fog housing could probably be wired to either the ignition, DRLs or the fog light circuit. That way you could choose how you want them to look. If they were wired to the DRLs though they would probably dim when the headlights turned on (like the boomerang lights do) so that might not be what you want. I wonder if that top bar has any useful light output or if it's just for show?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
2 Posts
I have the Limited and have already swapped in the LED fog lights from a Sport/Touring. I’d like the look of the added LED strip, but not if it isn’t mainly plug-and-play like the LED fogs were. It’s costly and pointless and cool.

They come in both silver/chrome and in gloss black to match either trim style.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,172 Posts
You could easily mimic the look with just a simple LED light strip and install in that space on the USDM housing. You may have to drill a small hole for the wiring, but then connect the LED leads to whatever power source you want - even the fogs.

For example, for the previous SJ gen XT, there is an insert for the side "smile" in the fog light area that can be filled with an LED strip, which I believe was an option on JDM Forester XT models.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts