Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
998 Posts
My dealer just told me my next service, 30,000 mile would be $450. This includes front & rear differential fluid change, brake fluid change and oil & filter change.
Wow, that is a great price if they're actually doing changes and not "inspections". A front and rear diff change alone at my dealer comes in at $260.

If you have ever seen the metal that comes out of the diffs during the first change, yes, they need to be changed at 30,000 mi. After that I think they can be pushed much longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did read the Maintenance schedule and your right , it says inspect the differential fluids and cvt. They told me they never change the CVT oil but recommend changing the differential fluid. My dilemma is its under warranty and if something goes wrong and I refused the fluid change I would imagine they wont cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
490 Posts
Warranty coverage cannot be legally denied if you follow the manufacturer’s recommended service specifications. The warranty is provided by the manufacturer, not the dealership.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,776 Posts
I did read the Maintenance schedule and your right , it says inspect the differential fluids and cvt. They told me they never change the CVT oil but recommend changing the differential fluid. My dilemma is its under warranty and if something goes wrong and I refused the fluid change I would imagine they wont cover it under warranty.
They "Stealership" pitch everything they can. It's up to you to decline the superfluous services. That's where the money is at.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
490 Posts
Ask your dealer for a Subaru factory sponsored maintenance brochure for the plans offered on new vehicles, good for service at any Subaru dealership.

You can then see what items/services Subaru would reimburse the dealership for doing.

I’m betting the only covered services you will see will be inspection services listed for the 30 K mile service point and no differential fluid replacement at that mileage point. I’m absolutely positive there isn’t any CVT replacement at that mileage point covered under the plan.

If that’s indeed what you find, do you think the dealership would replace those fluids if you had purchased a maintenance contract when you purchased the vehicle when it was new?

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 5 spd manual
22 Posts
I have bought two cars from this dealer, a 2016 Outback and a 2019 Forester Limited. And this dealer has performed every significant maintenance interval on them except oil and filter only changes called for on the maintenance schedule. In that time I have NEVER paid more than $500 for a routine service including 30, 45, 60 and 75k services on my Outback. By contrast, my wife's 2018 Nissan Rogue has a $318 30K maintenance coming up. Admittedly unlike my wife, I put about 28 to 30k on a vehicle a year, but I found this to be an outrageous overcharge. The dealer did give me what amounted to a $100 discount, but was still nearly a $800 service and I am completely frustrated with the dealer and I guess Subaru if they consider this a fair charge for this maintenance on a basically new car!

What do you think? I tell everyone that I love my Subaru so much that I say good morning to it when I leave the house and good night when I get home and go in the house. Like I said, I really love my Subie and consider it family. Crazy I know, but it really is an awesome vehicle and I really don't like feeling this way.

Thanks, Jon
Especially with a new car, most things are negotiable and to prove my point, here is my brothers story.

My brother bought a 10 year old ( that's right 10 years old ) RAM 3500 diesel truck last year for $38,000 with 87,000 miles on the clock from Lithia motors in Oregon and got them to agree to LIFETIME oil, oil filter and air filter changes at their dealership in writing! Mind you, this was a USED truck on their lot that was a trade in. The value of the oil, oil filter and air filter service on that diesel is about $300.00 each time. He has it done per their recommended guideline every 3500 miles. No BS man, this a true story.

Look, dealers are in the business to sell cars. You have money and they want it. Play hard ball! Trust me, they make enough money off the sale of a NEW car to at least give up 2 or 3 years worth of oil and filter changes.
The LAST thing they want to see is a deal breaker on the sale of a new car for the sake of a few oil changes. When you get up out of that chair and start to walk out the door with your money because they're trying to be cheap, see how quickly they change their tune! They're not the only car dealer in the world you know, be a tough negotiator!

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 5 spd manual
22 Posts
Especially with a new car, most things are negotiable and to prove my point, here is my brothers story.

My brother bought a 10 year old ( that's right 10 years old ) RAM 3500 diesel truck last year for $38,000 with 87,000 miles on the clock from Lithia motors in Oregon and got them to agree to LIFETIME oil, oil filter and air filter changes at their dealership in writing! Mind you, this was a USED truck on their lot that was a trade in. The value of the oil, oil filter and air filter service on that diesel is about $300.00 each time. He has it done per their recommended guideline every 3500 miles. No BS man, this a true story.

Look, dealers are in the business to sell cars. You have money and they want it. Play hard ball! Trust me, they make enough money off the sale of a NEW car to at least give up 2 or 3 years worth of oil and filter changes.
The LAST thing they want to see is a deal breaker on the sale of a new car for the sake of a few oil changes. When you get up out of that chair and start to walk out the door with your money because they're trying to be cheap, see how quickly they change their tune! They're not the only car dealer in the world you know, be a tough negotiator!
Edit: Sorry, the air filter is changed every third oil change or as needed.

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
74 Posts
Jenkins Subaru in Bridgeport, West Virginia charges $195 for the 30K service. This includes Full Synthetic Oil/Filter, Rotate and Inspect Tires, Replace Engine Air Filter, Brake Fluid Drain and Fill, and Multi-Point Inspections. (The 90K is $347 and also includes front and rear differential drain and fill.)
That seems too reasonable a price.
A brake fluid flush, fill, and bleed runs at least $125 for labor and parts at a dealer.

Are you sure that the $195 you quote is parts and labor?
I suspect it's labor only, parts extra.

·
Registered
2014 Forester limited Cvt
1 Posts
Change the oil and filter! It's the easiest car ever to do if you have a way to get rid of the oil! why do anything else? It's a Japanese car! Still made in Japan! Don't let people mess with it! Your brakes have indicators that will sound when they are bad. Check the levels you can see and keep peoples hands off of it. All else.......just drive it! All i've ever done! On the other hand, Soooooo many things wrong with my Alabama made Honda Pilot! 45 years of owning many different cars (american and Japanese) tells me things are just made different in Japan...... Then again maybe it's just me? JMHO

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
146 Posts
That seems too reasonable a price.
A brake fluid flush, fill, and bleed runs at least $125 for labor and parts at a dealer.

Are you sure that the $195 you quote is parts and labor?
I suspect it's labor only, parts extra.

Good question - I saw some fine print at the bottom that says "plus supplies, taxes, hazardous waste, and doc fees", so I called. It does include the oil/brake fluid/gaskets/etc. The total with the 30K service (including tax) would be about $215.

When I stopped by there a couple of weeks ago, the service department was full of cars and the waiting room was full. When I go to our local dealer (who is MUCH more expensive!), not as busy. I think the first dealer figured out they need to compete price-wise with local shops or their lifts are going to sit empty.

Lucky for me, Jenkins Subaru is only about 45 minutes away, and it's on the way to the West Virginia Veterans' National Cemetery where my folks are buried, so I'm going by there 2-3x a month. Handy. .

21 - 30 of 30 Posts