Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought two cars from this dealer, a 2016 Outback and a 2019 Forester Limited. And this dealer has performed every significant maintenance interval on them except oil and filter only changes called for on the maintenance schedule. In that time I have NEVER paid more than $500 for a routine service including 30, 45, 60 and 75k services on my Outback. By contrast, my wife's 2018 Nissan Rogue has a $318 30K maintenance coming up. Admittedly unlike my wife, I put about 28 to 30k on a vehicle a year, but I found this to be an outrageous overcharge. The dealer did give me what amounted to a $100 discount, but was still nearly a $800 service and I am completely frustrated with the dealer and I guess Subaru if they consider this a fair charge for this maintenance on a basically new car!

What do you think? I tell everyone that I love my Subaru so much that I say good morning to it when I leave the house and good night when I get home and go in the house. Like I said, I really love my Subie and consider it family. Crazy I know, but it really is an awesome vehicle and I really don't like feeling this way.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,799 Posts
This is insane. Do ONLY the service items that are specifically listed in the owners manual, and do those service items when they are required. NO dealer add-ons like injection cleaning or blinker fluid replacement. Do stuff yourself like cabin filters, which take 5 minutes to replace and cost $20. Every dealer will say that every driver is "severe duty" but if your big miles are freeway there is no way you are in severe duty unless you are driving Uber in a congested city. So do NOT let them sell you the severe duty service intervals.

Also, many dealers will add $300 to "inspect" stuff and much of the stuff you can inspect yourself. Start from ground zero, get the service schedule and look at the required items. Add the oil change, add tire rotation, have the brakes inspected, change filters per the manual, and have the dealer itemize the cost for each of these required services. I get to know my service people and am on great terms with them. I have never and would never pay more than $300 for a service like this; I had an '09 Foz (son now has it) and now have a '17.

Dealers do not make money selling cars, so they need to sell warranties and make a lot of money on service to keep their doors open.

Good luck,
George

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 CVT
22 Posts
Jon,

Before I jump on the bandwagon, could you share the specific line items of service included in the package? It probably is outrageous, but you may be able to negotiate a reasonable and "customized" 30k service package.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
146 Posts
Jenkins Subaru in Bridgeport, West Virginia charges $195 for the 30K service. This includes Full Synthetic Oil/Filter, Rotate and Inspect Tires, Replace Engine Air Filter, Brake Fluid Drain and Fill, and Multi-Point Inspections. (The 90K is $347 and also includes front and rear differential drain and fill.)

The 60K mile service is $509 (6-Cylinders are $651) and adds Cabin Filter and Spark Plugs.

So, if you ask me, "No," it's not reasonable. Waaayyyyy too expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
461 Posts
Jenkins Subaru in Bridgeport, West Virginia charges $195 for the 30K service. This includes Full Synthetic Oil/Filter, Rotate and Inspect Tires, Replace Engine Air Filter, Brake Fluid Drain and Fill, and Multi-Point Inspections. ..............
+1. IMO that is very reasonable for 30k service. Around here the brake fill is about $120. Oil change is about $60. Both air filters are $60+ combined. (They really rip on the cabin filter) A twenty-something point inspection is always free. I always do filters myself and let them do fluids so I don't have to keep track of receipts. :)

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
998 Posts
I dunno, if they're doing front and rear differentials, oil change, brake fluid flush, air filter change, cabin filter change, new wipers, replace bulbs, it can certainly be up to the $800 range. If you're not going to keep up on this stuff yourself, you pay.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
747 Posts
Way to expansive...
Ask them itemized estimate and it will be bunch of unnecessary stuff.
For 30k service, I did oil/tire rotation/brake fluid flush for about $250 at dealer. I change both air filters by myself (super easy).
From my perspective, newer Subaru is very cheap to maintain and dealer prices are actually reasonable (at least around Chicago) as long as they don't add things that are not required ("tuneups", valve "cleanings", unnecessary differential or CVT oil flush) and you change both air filters by yourself.
Other then regular oil/tire rotation/air filters, all you need to do is brake fluid flush at 30k and brake fluid flush/spark plug at 60k. All other things are to be inspected.
Always check dealer website for coupons, it really brings the cost down, I doubt that good local mechanic can be much cheaper than Chicagoland dealers.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring Jasper Green
54 Posts
So what do they do when they examine the cvt fluid? See if it looks dirty and if so replace? How is it supposed to look?

That's the only part of the maintenance I'm a little unsure of because I cant easily check it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 forester limited. I do not us the dealer for service. I live in Montana and the closest dealer is a 2 hour drive. I use Amsoil products. When I have a local service provider (Amsoil dealer) do work, I record it in the online app. I bought winter tires and recorded it online. I change oil and filter every 6K and rotate at the same time. I do a lot of interstate driving in mountains and the dealers does not recommend changing CVT fluid. Sooooo I do not understand the huge dealer billing.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
378 Posts
So what do they do when they examine the cvt fluid? See if it looks dirty and if so replace? How is it supposed to look?

That's the only part of the maintenance I'm a little unsure of because I cant easily check it myself.
This, from a different thread might answer your question about CVTF inspection.

The service manual (2019) defines it, but it's not what you might think. Under "inspection" they only discuss fill level. Then, under "removal", they list the following table. View attachment 528945

The corrective action column implies you put the fluid back in if none of the conditions exist. So the "replacement" section is also an inspection.

My take away is if you're going to have the dealership inspect the fluid, you should ask if the inspection is simply a check of the fluid level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dealer just told me my next service, 30,000 mile would be $450. This includes front & rear differential fluid change, brake fluid change and oil & filter change.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,396 Posts
I strongly suggest you read the owners manual for the factory RECOMMENDED services. You do NOT need differential changes or CVT fluid changes. Just plain old simple maintenance like oil & filter change; tire rotate; brake fluid (if it hasn't been done yet); inspections of various components; engine and cabin air filter and I think that about does it. All can be done for well under $200 and, I agree, the engine and cabin filters are super easy to replace and cost about $20 each so don't let the dealer charge you $50 each just for that. I have 37K on my 2019 Sport. My 30K service was an oil change, rotate, brake fluid change at the dealer was $180. I replace all of my own filters.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,292 Posts
If you look at what actually NEEDS to be done (defined in the maintenance requirements) , most of the 30K "work" are inspections that are already performed by most dealers at an oil change. As other have pointed out, there is no requirement to have your vehicle serviced at a dealer, and actually, the opposite is true.
Dealers count on owner ignorance, and they have a steady supply of new customers via their sales, so why not charge customers for services they don't really need.
The customer can (and should) say no.
It also helps to shop around.
The brake fluid change, for example, can be had at many places for a lot less than a dealer charge, and the end result is the same. Get an estimate and compare prices.
If you are willing to get gouged, that's great, but there are viable alternatives, and the most cost effective is doing maintenance yourself, or at least part of it.
There are some very easy to do maintenance items yourself which can add up to huge savings over the life of the car.
Like what was said above, dealers are great for warranty repairs.. well there isn't another option... but for ongoing maintenance, the primary advantage of letting the dealer do everything for you is enriching their wallet at the expense of yours if their prices are not competitive in your area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts