Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Seems you've got a really bright light source from above. I can see a glint on the very edge of the glass at the top where the long line starts. Is that the source that it causing the refraction of light in the display?

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
395 Posts
Perhaps you need to make a hood to prevent the glare. I certainly could use one on my Forester SJ. Sometimes, I can see the back up screen!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see a glint on the very edge of the glass at the top where the long line starts. Is that the source that it causing the refraction of light in the display?
Excellent observation. I will check next time.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Try wiping your finger over the area to see if perhaps there is some residue on the surface. The second picture does appear that way. If it's on the inside, maybe there is a problem.

I would also look at it with a flashlight at different angles. Maybe I'll do that with my wife's car when she gets home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try wiping your finger over the area to see if perhaps there is some residue on the surface
Tried. It's still there. There was no residue on the surface.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If that's a new HU, there shouldn't be any residue between the outer glass/layer and the digitizer, etc. unless there is some kind of QA issue.

I'll try to remember to check my wife's car to see if I can replicate the issue.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
258 Posts
Just a crazy idea - you know how they put thin plastic covers on phones and other electronics to protect them during shipping? Could the replacement unit have had a protective cover on the screen and they forgot to peel it off before installing?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Just a crazy idea - you know how they put thin plastic covers on phones and other electronics to protect them during shipping? Could the replacement unit have had a protective cover on the screen and they forgot to peel it off before installing?
That's definitely worth looking into. Just be careful if you pick at anything OP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that's a new HU, there shouldn't be any residue between the outer glass/layer and the digitizer, etc. unless there is some kind of QA issue.
Mine was replace under warranty. I never had this 'type' of glare on new equipment. This looks like some refurbishment unit. It will be a pain to now prove this with dealer. I will contact Subaru Canada and see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will ask dealer to check in my next appointment.

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
225 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to echo what other said. The tech probably didn't pull the film before installing it. I'm guessing that panel surrounding it will need to be removed before it can be done.

1 - 13 of 12 Posts