Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not sure if it just my equipment but I cannot get playback to work through bluetooth without music skipping, pausing etc..I've never had any issues with apple car play thru bluetooth on any other vehicles but this Forester is complete junk. This infotainment system is by far the worse stereo system I've ever owned, and its to a point now that unless I use a USB cable you cannot play back music through BT. Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checked mine this morning and it worked great.

Both with USB and with Bluetooth.

my CarPlay gives me issues with the cable connected and leaving the Browser on screen. Until I minimize the browser it does not like to play music. Maps just fine. Amazon just fine. Browser a no go.

Bluetooth no skips pauses or anything. actually may start using it rather than CP in town As I forget to minimize the browser a lot

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
454 Posts
Make sure you have a good quality cable. I had an issue with an old Walmart cable early on and a new cable fixed it. Also check that your software is current.

@QMaze, your describing a problem that was fixed in one of the software updates. Make sure you’re current.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I am having zero issues using the cable, it's bluetooth. I can check the software but the unit also doesn't connect to any wifi, I can't even get the clock to automatically update, have to keep manually changing it and its also set to auto. Just really frustrated at this point, my first Subaru and there are somethings that you can live with and others you can't. But let me give the firmware here to determine if I'm updared or not, its never updated since buying new in July 2019, so whether there has been an update since then. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
454 Posts
Regarding the cable comment- that was for @Milton, in the post immediately preceding to mine.

Assuming your iPhone OS is current and you're not sporting an old iPhone 5, I'd say it's time to see the dealer for a new head unit. I have a 2019 of similar manufacture date (w/ 8" Harmon Kardon) and Bluetooth and ApplePlay both perform as advertised with an iPhone 8. The number of TSB's related to the HK head unit is quite large, but seems to have tapered off the last few months.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
128 Posts
carplay is not supported via bluetooth on SUBARU - very few cars (BMW) support wireless CarPlay - CarPlay data transmission needs exceed what regular bluetooth supports - there is a whole thread on this

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you, I am having zero issues using the cable, it's bluetooth. I can check the software but the unit also doesn't connect to any wifi, I can't even get the clock to automatically update, have to keep manually changing it and its also set to auto. Just really frustrated at this point, my first Subaru and there are somethings that you can live with and others you can't. But let me give the firmware here to determine if I'm updared or not, its never updated since buying new in July 2019, so whether there has been an update since then. Thanks.
There are software updates. I'm unable to get updates on my 2019 Forester which I bought in July. I've exhausted all suggestions provided by Xfinity and forums. I going to have to drive 40 min to a dealer to my STARLINK updated. I'm very frustrated.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel your pain I'm about 1-2 hours away from the closest dealer, and they don't do work on Saturday, so I would have to lose a days pay just to update, if it comes to that. Cheaper to buy a Rav4 Offroad, lol at least the dealership is local.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No you are right MaineJon, my problem was stated incorrectly, I meant playing through bluetooth with my iphone is crap. It stammers, speeds up, skips but when on the USB cord works perfect, when it connects, it isn't always recognized.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel your pain I'm about 1-2 hours away from the closest dealer, and they don't do work on Saturday, so I would have to lose a days pay just to update, if it comes to that. Cheaper to buy a Rav4 Offroad, lol at least the dealership is local.
I'm thinking seriously of trading my car in this summer. I purchased the car for its safety features instead of what is best for me. My dealership is open on Sat morning. I'm taking my car to the dealer on Wed afternoon. I called Subaru's 800 # and was advised to do so.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mbubala what version of software is on yours? I contacted Subaru Canada and they too told me to contact the dealership for help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mbubala what version of software is on yours? I contacted Subaru Canada and they too told me to contact the dealership for help.
I don't know. Whatever was on the car in July 2019. I haven't been able to update it. Would the version make a difference?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes software upgrades can solve issues, A member posted here about my issues should have been addressed in an update. Go to Settings, System Information, it will give you the current firmware.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
454 Posts
carplay is not supported via bluetooth on SUBARU - very few cars (BMW) support wireless CarPlay - CarPlay data transmission needs exceed what regular bluetooth supports - there is a whole thread on this
I knew that. Thanks for correcting/clarifying. That's what I get for trying to address two concerns in a single post.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So my dealership got back to me and told me there was an upgrade avaialble at the end of December. So now to make arrangements.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
143 Posts
For issues with music skipping over CarPlay see this thread. This is old but it may help some owners. I also notice that if I have the Wi-Fi turned on to connect to my home Wi-Fi it causes Bluetooth audio to skip. I do not use the Wi-Fi connection so I turned this off and now Bluetooth plays fine. Also for folks that have the 8" Nav unit go here to register for online updates that can be downloaded and installed to a USB thumb drive then used to update the head unit.

Rel U1.18.38.50 Navi Database Version
It appears that you have Nav so follow the link above and register for the update. There is a downloader app that you will need to install and hopefully when installed it will allow you to download the latest version for the Nav HU.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I ended up getting a service appointment with a US dealer who was closer in a few weeks to do the Infotainment update. Hopefully it fixes the issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts