Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had the Forester for almost a week now and I love it more than ever! Lots of plans for this Subie. We have already gotten a few mods and plan on many more.
Last night our Yakima Off-Grid roof basket finally arrived and we got it installed. Adding a lot of pictures of it because I couldn't find good pictures of one on a Forester anywhere on the web and wanted people to get a good idea what it looks like on a Forester.

Overall very happy with the look. It's slightly more aerodynamic than our old Yakima Load Warrior and fits the vehicles lines better.
I am very impressed with the road noise associated with this rack. There really is barely any. Even with the sunroof open it is not noticeable. Before we got the basket on we had our kayak rack up there and it actually made much more noise than the basket.
Other mods on the way this week are a license plate led light bar.

We ordered it from Amazon for 19.00. Our neighbor has one on his Crosstrek and we liked the look.
We ordered two seven inch led round lights to mount on it. I am concerned they may be a bit large but luckily they too came from Amazon and can easily be returned if they dont look good.

They were 36.00 for the set. If they look good I am hoping to remove the trim and paint it to match the burnt orange sport trim. Will add pictures when they arrive and we get them mounted.
Other mods in the near future include:
  • Window tinting next Monday
  • LED light bar mounted in front of the Yakima basket
  • Oh and my SubaruForester.com sticker
Future Mods include:
  • 2" lift
  • BFG 255/55 off road tires
  • Skid plates
  • Rubber rear bumper guard
  • Subaru Adventure license plate frame
  • Rear seat back protectors
  • Rear tow hook painted to match trim
  • Interior rack system to hold adventure gear
  • Rally Sport Mud flaps black and orange
So that's the plan so far. I'm sure as we get to know the Forester better the list will change and grow. But for now we are thrilled to have bought the Forester and look forward to many adventures in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please do keep us updated on how the build progresses and how the various components work and workout.

I am also curious how you will do the wiring and the switches for the various lights and electronic components.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily my husband is an electrician. Here is a picture of our last build, a 2007 FJ Cruiser. It was with us for 11 years but unfortunately couldn't tow the trailer we wanted so we found it a good home.

He did all the mods himself. Even built the front bumper. The lights he wired into switches that were blank areas where optional switches weren't being used, if you understand that statement at all. :rolleyes:
I assume he will do the same with these lights. I can guarantee when he does there will be a post with step by step pictures included.
We will definitely keep everyone up to date on the build as it progresses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please do keep us updated on how the build progresses and how the various components work and workout.

I am also curious how you will do the wiring and the switches for the various lights and electronic components.
See post above. I forgot to quote you...

·
Registered
22 Posts
We've had the Forester for almost a week now and I love it more than ever! Lots of plans for this Subie. We have already gotten a few mods and plan on many more.
Last night our Yakima Off-Grid roof basket finally arrived and we got it installed. Adding a lot of pictures of it because I couldn't find good pictures of one on a Forester anywhere on the web and wanted people to get a good idea what it looks like on a Forester.
View attachment 523568 View attachment 523569 View attachment 523570 View attachment 523571 View attachment 523572 View attachment 523573
Overall very happy with the look. It's slightly more aerodynamic than our old Yakima Load Warrior and fits the vehicles lines better.
I am very impressed with the road noise associated with this rack. There really is barely any. Even with the sunroof open it is not noticeable. Before we got the basket on we had our kayak rack up there and it actually made much more noise than the basket.
Other mods on the way this week are a license plate led light bar. View attachment 523574 View attachment 523575
We ordered it from Amazon for 19.00. Our neighbor has one on his Crosstrek and we liked the look.
We ordered two seven inch led round lights to mount on it. I am concerned they may be a bit large but luckily they too came from Amazon and can easily be returned if they dont look good. View attachment 523576
They were 36.00 for the set. If they look good I am hoping to remove the trim and paint it to match the burnt orange sport trim. Will add pictures when they arrive and we get them mounted.
Other mods in the near future include:
  • Window tinting next Monday
  • LED light bar mounted in front of the Yakima basket
  • Oh and my SubaruForester.com sticker
Future Mods include:
  • 2" lift
  • BFG 255/55 off road tires
  • Skid plates
  • Rubber rear bumper guard
  • Subaru Adventure license plate frame
  • Rear seat back protectors
  • Rear tow hook painted to match trim
  • Interior rack system to hold adventure gear
  • Rally Sport Mud flaps black and orange
So that's the plan so far. I'm sure as we get to know the Forester better the list will change and grow. But for now we are thrilled to have bought the Forester and look forward to many adventures in it.
Very nice!! Can't wait to see all the mods!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New license plate light bar and off road lights arrived today. Very happy with the look. Would eventually like to go with the LP Adventure bumper guard but until then this was a nice inexpensive mod that added a nice look to the front and will be nice to help light up those campsites on dark nights.

The bar is the Senlips black bull bar front plate mounting bracket. It is aluminum and very lightweight. It costs $17.80 on Amazon.
The lights are the 7" round Oedro 51 watt off road lights. They cost $39.99 on Amazon for the pair. Right now they are offering 5% off. I am very impressed with the quality of these lights.
We haven't installed everything securely yet. The bar definitely needs to be bolted onto the car, not simply screwed into the plastic of the bumper and we need to wire in the lights and order a switch to fill in one of the blank switch areas in the dash.
I will add a detailed post showing how we bolted the bully bar on and how we wire in the lights as soon as we get them installed properly.
We've had the Forester a week tonight and absolutely love having a vehicle that we can build up for future adventures in Idaho when we move there to retire in 18 months and one that will allow us to easily get around in the lo g snowy winters that are common in Idaho.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windows darkened today. Did the two front windows in Ceramic film 42% and the sunroof at 18%. Kept the rear windows at factory tint. It really made the rear passenger windows and especially the back window appear much darker.

Didn't get a picture of the sunroof yet but 18% ceramic film keeps a lot of the heat from coming through and keeps the glare down but still allows a nice view out the sunroof. I felt limo tint would just be too dark to enjoy the purpose of the sunroof.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Subaruforester.org stickers came today and I found the perfect place for the long thin Subaruforester.org one. I placed it on the new light bar on the front and it really filled in an otherwise very long blank space.

I also ordered an off-road adventure compass sticker in an orange-red color. It really matched the sport trim nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm totally mechanically challenged, and would love to see how you rigged the license plate bar lights into the vehicle. Thank you!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
Armanius
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing