Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a hot summer but I didn't expect this. Any experience with this?
Facing the back with the tailgate open, it's on the left-hand side.

Vehicle Hood Airplane Automotive tire Window

(Still under factory warranty + extended SOA warranty)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
409 Posts
There is a clip behind than panel. Did you have any warranty work done recently? The module for the rear power gate is behind that panel. The dealer bent and twisted that panel and failed to attached the clips properly when replacing the PRG module in my 19.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@supasta I had the PRG done a few months ago when I got the recall letter but that's all. Thanks for the tip, I'll show them on my next oil change.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
310 Posts
I would be so mad if that was actually melting/deformed. @supasta had a great point that if you had service on your gate module the dealer may not have installed the panel correctly. Quick question though you have a touring and your rear windows aren't factory tinted? 🤔

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
409 Posts
@JuanGuapo I would bet that’s the issue. The panel wasn’t reinstalled correctly.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
999 Posts
When I bought my 2018 I had the trailer wiring installed by the dealer. They did not reinstall any of the cargo area interior panels properly, and I also found some of the plastic snap rivet things in the cargo area. They are very careless. Also when I complained about GPS inaccuracy, they claimed they replaced the GPS antenna under the dashboard, and they damaged some dashboard interior panels (that I made them replace). I really hope they did not touch the shark fin antenna on the roof, because I don't want water leaks or rust or similar problems, caused by their incompetence and carelessness.

And it's not just the Subaru dealerships (I've had problems with a few). The Lexus dealership causes the same problems on my wife's car. The dealerships can't even install the seatback protectors properly.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester
82 Posts
When I bought my 2018 I had the trailer wiring installed by the dealer. They did not reinstall any of the cargo area interior panels properly, and I also found some of the plastic snap rivet things in the cargo area. They are very careless. Also when I complained about GPS inaccuracy, they claimed they replaced the GPS antenna under the dashboard, and they damaged some dashboard interior panels (that I made them replace). I really hope they did not touch the shark fin antenna on the roof, because I don't want water leaks or rust or similar problems, caused by their incompetence and carelessness.

And it's not just the Subaru dealerships (I've had problems with a few). The Lexus dealership causes the same problems on my wife's car. The dealerships can't even install the seatback protectors properly.
Which dealerships? Trailer wiring is a plug 'n play, how did they mess that up?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
999 Posts
Which dealerships? Trailer wiring is a plug 'n play, how did they mess that up?
The trailer wiring for the Forester works (it's plug and play) but the plastic panels on the inside of the cargo area were not reinstalled correctly, and the long plastic panel with the hole in it that the latch goes through was not installed correctly. These panels were crooked and when you moved them or pushed them parts would snap into holes, so these all had to be removed, positioned correctly, and snapped in. There were also plastic snap rivet things rolling around in the spare tire well.

The RX350 trailer wiring has never been used, but it probably works.

In both cars, we bought the rubber seatbacks for the rear seats. In both cases, the dealerships threw them into the cargo area thinking they'd magically install themselves. When you look at the installation instructions, it's not difficult to install these things, you have to line up the child seat anchors, wrap some bungees around things, etc, but it wasn't done correctly.

A friend and I had been doing the timing belt on my Civic, but we had to put it all back together and I took it to the dealership to do because we couldn't get one bolt off. We had bent some tools blocking the crank from turning, and split a socket on the bolt head. We called a service dept and asked if it was reverse threaded, and they said no. Anyway, the dealership got it done, and when I got the car back, the clutch wasn't working right. I just took the car back and told them the clutch isn't right, and they all rolled their eyes, oh here's another armchair mechanic who wants to blame something on us. The service advisor or manager or whoever, got into the car and pressed the pedal, and said it's working fine. I wonder if they even knew how to drive manual. I wasn't leaving. Eventually the mechanic came out and asked what was going on and I told him, and he looked under the hood, took a few minutes and fixed it and said sorry, he forgot to retighten the anchor point for the clutch cable jacket. After he did that, the clutch worked correctly.

I have several other stories about poor workmanship etc from dealership service departments. I won't name them publicly, but they are all in the Vancouver regional district. Subaru of Canada made one of them pay me $500 to spend as I please, because they had screwed something up that caused my family and me to be stranded at the side of a highway (search through my posts to find the story).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts