Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the engine oil + filter last week - mileage 3,548 km (2,218 miles). Yes it it is early but with winter around the corner I thought I will change the oil. I did it myself. The oil drain access cover is easy to remove, the drain plug needs a 14mm socket. Use a new drain plug washer as it is a compression type washer. Love the easy access to the oil filter. I got the oil filter + drain plug from Subaru.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which oil brand did you use marty2019?
I used the Idemitsu brand on my 1st one. Didn't really observe any difference afterwards. Will try the Castrol on my 2nd one soon.
I also installed a Fumoto valve to make the oil change even more easy than it already is.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
348 Posts
I recommend changing the 14 mm drain plug with a 17 mm drain plug. Reduces the chance of stripping out the 14 mm plug.

Some people here will recommend the fumoto valve, but I find the 17 mm drain plug to work just fine. Easy on / easy off.

StanF

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 14mm was easy to remove, but I replaced it w/stahlbus cuz I thought the oil access was too small a hole for the gush of oil coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
827 Posts
My 14mm was easy to remove, but I replaced it w/stahlbus cuz I thought the oil access was too small a hole for the gush of oil coming out

Which model number Stahlbus drain plug did you get? They’re a little pricey but imho, a lot safer than a Fumoto.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
772 Posts
Why do you guys worry so much about the drain plug? My Nissan used a 14mm and never had an issue with it, and my 2011 Forester uses a 19mm which seems overkill but works fine as well. Seems like far more trouble, expense and potential risk with one of those valves vs just removing the plug and reinstalling it when the drain is complete?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
Why do you guys worry so much about the drain plug?
Because there have been numerous problems with the 14mm head reported on this forum. Search for the threads.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
772 Posts
There have been numerous reports of quick lube place making a mess of things, but if you do it yourself and use hand tools, and hand thread the plug when reinstalling there should be no issues. My point was I changed the oil on my other car for the past 7 years with a 14mm, and its as good today as the day it was installed when the car was made. Frankly it would be even easier to overtighten the 19mm, or crossthread it. I don't see what the size of the bolt has to do with it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Confucius say: “Never kill fly with cannon.”

... in other words, don’t use a breaker bar to tighten the bolt. Use the correct-point socket and all is well.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
There have been numerous reports of quick lube place making a mess of things, but if you do it yourself and use hand tools, and hand thread the plug when reinstalling there should be no issues. My point was I changed the oil on my other car for the past 7 years with a 14mm, and its as good today as the day it was installed when the car was made. Frankly it would be even easier to overtighten the 19mm, or crossthread it. I don't see what the size of the bolt has to do with it.
Apparently Nisan makes a better 14mm plug than Subaru. Read some of the horror stories here:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Fumoto valve is the solution for me. Once fitted it makes draining oil so much less of a hassle.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
What Fumoto Valve (model) did you use? I have a 2020 and their website doesn't have one identified.
I installed the F108S. I've done 2-3 oil changes since and I can say that the valve makes it much easier. I can drain the oil directly into empty quart oil containers, shutting the valve when full. I selected the short nipple version because I was concerned about clearance with the plastic cover. I would order the long nipple version if I could do over, since I have had a bit of trouble getting a plastic hose to stay on the short nipple. I have to secure it with a bit of twisted wire. I see on the Fumoto site that they have a plastic adapter that attaches to your hose and snaps over the short nipple for a secure fit. I'll probably order one.

Wow, I just realized that this was my first post. Hey everybody!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6MT
85 Posts

Did you use the copper washer that came with the Stahlbus drain valve or the Subaru OEM crush washer?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
316 Posts
I used the
Did you use the copper washer that came with the Stahlbus drain valve or the Subaru OEM crush washer?
Subaru crush washer with my Stahlbus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts