Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the engine oil + filter last week - mileage 3,548 km (2,218 miles). Yes it it is early but with winter around the corner I thought I will change the oil. I did it myself. The oil drain access cover is easy to remove, the drain plug needs a 14mm socket. Use a new drain plug washer as it is a compression type washer. Love the easy access to the oil filter. I got the oil filter + drain plug from Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
17 Posts
Which oil brand did you use marty2019?
I used the Idemitsu brand on my 1st one. Didn't really observe any difference afterwards. Will try the Castrol on my 2nd one soon.
I also installed a Fumoto valve to make the oil change even more easy than it already is.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,681 Posts
Why do you guys worry so much about the drain plug? My Nissan used a 14mm and never had an issue with it, and my 2011 Forester uses a 19mm which seems overkill but works fine as well. Seems like far more trouble, expense and potential risk with one of those valves vs just removing the plug and reinstalling it when the drain is complete?

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,681 Posts
There have been numerous reports of quick lube place making a mess of things, but if you do it yourself and use hand tools, and hand thread the plug when reinstalling there should be no issues. My point was I changed the oil on my other car for the past 7 years with a 14mm, and its as good today as the day it was installed when the car was made. Frankly it would be even easier to overtighten the 19mm, or crossthread it. I don't see what the size of the bolt has to do with it.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,045 Posts
There have been numerous reports of quick lube place making a mess of things, but if you do it yourself and use hand tools, and hand thread the plug when reinstalling there should be no issues. My point was I changed the oil on my other car for the past 7 years with a 14mm, and its as good today as the day it was installed when the car was made. Frankly it would be even easier to overtighten the 19mm, or crossthread it. I don't see what the size of the bolt has to do with it.
Apparently Nisan makes a better 14mm plug than Subaru. Read some of the horror stories here:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Fumoto valve is the solution for me. Once fitted it makes draining oil so much less of a hassle.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
What Fumoto Valve (model) did you use? I have a 2020 and their website doesn't have one identified.
I installed the F108S. I've done 2-3 oil changes since and I can say that the valve makes it much easier. I can drain the oil directly into empty quart oil containers, shutting the valve when full. I selected the short nipple version because I was concerned about clearance with the plastic cover. I would order the long nipple version if I could do over, since I have had a bit of trouble getting a plastic hose to stay on the short nipple. I have to secure it with a bit of twisted wire. I see on the Fumoto site that they have a plastic adapter that attaches to your hose and snaps over the short nipple for a secure fit. I'll probably order one.

Wow, I just realized that this was my first post. Hey everybody!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts