Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our two Foresters are out in the rain. It has been at least two months since I applied the coating to my Forester. I have the unlimited pass at the local carwash, the kind of wash with with the rotating "soft" pads, and go at least twice a week. Here is a simple comparison.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
I think he meant, applied for two months AFTER twice weekly car wash with brushes (it's the car wash that has the brushes--not that he applied the product with a car wash brush)... but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
963 Posts
I doubt any of these coating are going to prevent the damage brush car washes can and often do to paint. But then I'm not convinced they do that much anyway.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My point is that these easy spray on ceramic coatings seem to work and last. I didn't believe something so easy could be worth it. Well, does indeed appear to work. I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
447 Posts
You will have to apply again in 3 to 4 years. I got it applied when the car was new. Now, most of the coating is gone.

As for carwash, most assume that everyone has access to a hose at their home. Most apartment dwellers can't even wash their vehicles. Many places do not have DIY carwashes nearby. You are not left with many options then.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
43 Posts
Keep in mind, the automatic drive-thru car wash is spraying a "wax" protection on your car that is very similar to the Hydro Silex you applied. It's not uncommon for a tunnel wash car to bead water like a beast! The illusion that you have great protection on your paint is false, IMHO. The outcome of a scratched and swirled paint is the real question for me.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
963 Posts
I'll keep using it
Fine, but if there is a brushless carwash anywhere near I urge you to use that instead of your current one. Those brushes pick up grit like a iron filings to a magnet and sandpaper your car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car wash yesterday. I have the basic exterior pass so no wax applied, which is obvious if it is because of the separate application zone.

It was interesting to watch as the final deionized spray bead up, like the rain photo, before hitting the 7 blowers.

As for touchless, that isn't an option right by my house. 15 years of the same spinning pad car washing on my previous car was fine. I'm experimenting with this dark gray to see how it goes. So far so good.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
211 Posts
I'll try to get a good picture soon, but a full polish and Collinite 845 Insulator Wax provided the same beading as in the pictures above.

Wash+Clay+IronX+Degreaser+Polish+Double Wax and the results are fantastic. Don't think it will last as long as Ceramic Coating, but I have a rotary so reapplying every 6 months is just part of life.

And truthfully you shouldn't be using any high powered car wash, with or without brushless. But I know there are many that don't have the capability to do a good job at home.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many here take far better care of their paint than I do. I explore off-road which offers "pinstriping" from bushes and trees. The convenience of the unlimited carwash pass makes it a snap to wash off dust or mud without effort.

I do appreciate the effort many put into keeping their finishes pristine.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
52 Posts
Just so you know... Hydro Silex isn't a ceramic coating. It's a silica-based spray sealant, nothing more. Going through any car wash with brushes is going to do a ton of damage very quickly, and there's no shot that a sealant that's rated for 1-2 months is lasting anywhere near that time with that wash strategy.

Some tips from someone who details professionally:
-HydroSilex is a great product for maintenance washes, but does not replace a proper ceramic coating. It will give you added protection for a short period of time, and is usually best re-applied after every hand wash. It does not protect from any scratching or abrasion at all.
-Avoid "brush" washes like the plague. As previously stated, the brushes themselves are very harsh on any surface, and the dirt and grit they pick up from other vehicles is transferred directly to your paint finish for a ton of scratching.
-If you want a real ceramic coating or any "next level" of protection for your paint, a paint correction must be done before hand. Every time you visit a brushed wash, you add more damage, which means more work for whoever has to correct the paint further on down the line. Remember, you only have factory paint once, and it's only so thick.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Ironman
303 Posts
This is paint correction then 2 coats Cquartz UK 3.0 and Reload, poop is amazing. Water literally cannot stay on it and it stays a bit cleaner during a rainfall aftermath. But it still needs constant maintenance with the proper products.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Sport utility vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
52 Posts
For comparison's sake, here's what my '17 Forester looked like after I got done with the 20+ hour paint correction and a ceramic coating. It's wearing one coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, two coats of Gtechniq EXO V4, and a pass of Gtechniq C2v3.

It only had 15k miles on it when this was done this past June, and the previous owner drove it through the brushed carwash a grand total of 5 times. Every single panel had marring and scratching that required multiple stages of correction, and a ton of work to get "right".

Here's a GIF comparison of what a corrected panel looks like against a panel that's seen 5 brushed car washes.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
214 Posts
I use a sealant called Rejex, with P21S over the top for depth. The P21S will only last a month, but the rejex will last for months. I also go to a car wash (unlimited outside 😁).

My last car was an 06 Acura TL, that I bought new, 14 years later and people still thought it was new.

Also shouldn't a ceramic coating shed water and not bead? Ceramic are new to me. I usually clay, then sealant and wax.

Qmaze, nice shine on the black forester, black is a tough color.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
Very interesting thread. For those that posted, would love to know how long your process takes. Seems some require a large amount of time and tools/materials. The results are great, though.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,627 Posts
For me it takes a full day

Wash
Clay
Decontam/paint
Alcohol/clean
2 coats of CQUK
1 coat reload

Tire dressings

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
@hoshie I’m guessing you do the last steps in a garage. Four hours in my driveway and my vehicles get all kinds of miscellaneous airborne debris on them that would get rubbed back into the paint.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts