Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring paddled CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '19 Touring with GPS Nav and Satellite subscription and was wondering if anybody has an informed opinion on how well the Subaru GPS Nav re-routes in real time around traffic tie ups? And for that matter, how it compares to Google Maps or Waze in that regard?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
145 Posts
Don't know about the comparisons to other GPS, but the TOM TOM software installed in the '19 sucks. It is useless for traffic re-route (and much other stuff too)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited CVT
31 Posts
Yes, the '2020 also. Not as good as my previous '2017 probably using the Garmin. Don't know why the change.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
225 Posts
It can't possibly be as good as Gmaps or Waze. Think about it, every android phone or iOS phone running those apps is a crowd-sourcing data point. It doesn't get any better than that, unless you can predict the future.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,048 Posts
And you just cant beat the “high tech CB radio” speed trap reports with Waze.
When I drive from NJ to our winter home in Naples Fla Im able to put my wifes supercharged F-Pace cruise control on 92 MPH on route 81.
I dont bother with onboard nav anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a '19 Touring with GPS Nav and Satellite subscription and was wondering if anybody has an informed opinion on how well the Subaru GPS Nav re-routes in real time around traffic tie ups? And for that matter, how it compares to Google Maps or Waze in that regard?
I have the 2020 Forester and it recalculates almost instantly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
And you just cant beat the “high tech CB radio” speed trap reports with Waze.
When I drive from NJ to our winter home in Naples Fla Im able to put my wifes supercharged F-Pace cruise control on 92 MPH on route 81.
I dont bother with onboard nav anymore.

You can't do that with a 2019 Forester. Max cruise control speed is 90MPH. Don't ask.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use it all the time here in Los Angeles and love it. 9 months and 11k miles later, no issues or problems

Pros: Waypoints are my favorite feature; it doesn't require data; traffic is updated via satellite (SXM) not cellular; accuracy is better than cell phone (e.g., roof antenna; I notice it when making turns or going into parking garages); traffic info is pretty accurate; map accuracy is pretty good.

Cons: Some locations are less up-to-date than Google or Apple Maps; voice search isn't as "smart"

Anecdotally, I've learned to trust the rerouting for my trips, the directions are often sound. When I first started using it, I was driving the 210 freeway, it told me to get off the freeway (?) while the freeway didn't seem busy. I had the time so I decided to trust it so I followed it. It had me drive about 5mi via city driving, then get back on the freeway. I got back on the freeway and it was bloody empty....no cars going eastbound. I got on the freeway, and in the rearview I could see the CHP had started letting traffic through (e.g., accident). After that, I've trusted the traffic reroutes for my long commutes. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,048 Posts
Correct RD.
I think, Juan was under the impression the positioning data was cell based ?
Ill take the cell based crowd sourcing info on traffic though. Thats hard to beat imo.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
960 Posts
To be fair, some devices with "assisted GPS" also use cell towers and wifi nodes to refine their positioning accuracy. This can be particularly useful in big cities where buildings can block GPS satellite reception.

Crowdsourcing can produce useful traffic data, sure. It's interesting that this doesn't really require participation from members of the crowd; Google and others use the location data of all the phones in all those cars to generate real-time traffic-density information. Hundreds of phones not moving on I95 are a traffic jam, and this is a case where their cellular and wifi connections do contribute a lot to our navigation environment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cell phones use built in GPS for navigation.

Correct. The lat/long are A-GPS but the map data is downloaded/cached via the cell network. Ex. When the cell network is spotty, I would often get just a Cartesian plane rather than a map.

My point was the roof antenna is a lot more accurate than a phone antenna inside a vehicle. If CarPlay doesn't download or otherwise receive the GPS data from the vehicle's HU (optional for OEMs), you're stuck with the handset A-GPS for location data.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts