Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running, doing wet sports, or just not wanting to carry the big and expensive key FOB, I finally figured out how to lock the car and get back in without setting off the alarm in '19 Forester w/ keyless entry. Using the tailgate code entry button is OK but noisy and anyone listening can hear what your code is.

1. Remove emergency key from keyless key FOB.
2. With only the driver in the car and all doors shut, deactivate the key FOB (hold lock button while pressing unlock button twice). This will also lock all doors.
3. Leave key FOB in the car. Open door handle and get out of car (this also deactivates the alarm)
4. Use emergency key to lock driver's door. Car is locked but no alarm.
5. When you return, use emergency key to unlock driver's door. Press any button on key FOB to activate it.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
249 Posts
There has got to be a better way that is more user friendly. I have the same problem but with water. I do a lot of diving, some remote and need a way to secure the/a key or devise so I can go underwater and not have to worry about the security of my car.

The electronic key fob seems to be my only real objection to the Subaru. It's my first and I really enjoy most of it's features.

·
Registered
2017 base model manual 6 speed
1,259 Posts
Hi guys,
If I were you IMHO, I will go to a locksmith and make just a plain duplicate of the key without any chip and take it with me all the time.
Having the alarm sounding if the door is open, could be discouraging to anybody trying to break in, since people near by will look in that direction seeing a person in the car with no intention of turning off the alarm. With not alarm going off, the thief can rummage without being disturbed by onlooker eyes.
Hide the key with the chip in a secured locked box in the spare tire area.
When you leave your car, just push the lock switch and the doors will lock and the alarm will set.
When you return, open the door and insert the key in the ignition and turn it to stop alarm.
Car will not start since it has no chip, you will need the “good one” to drive away.
Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
168 Posts
Well, I am not sure this will work as the OP has push button start and I think part of the idea was to avoid setting off the alarm on return. I think the idea is simple as long as you do not mind not having the alarm on while away from the vehicle. The other issue with the push button start is the fact that to leave the FOB in the vehicle it must be disabled as there is a safety measure to prevent you from locking it in the car. I think a good fix would be to have an option to disable the beeps when using the button on the rear gate.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
249 Posts
@SEÑOR SUBARU Can the FOB be locked in the car? I didn't think it could...
My Forester does not have an ignition that I can insert a key. I must be missing something or don't understand your solution.

·
Registered
168 Posts
See my post just prior to this. You are correct in thinking that the FOB can not be locked in the vehicle. I think the response assumes the standard key with the security chip in the key.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
249 Posts
So back to the original problem, How do I / we lock a 2019 Forester or leave the car unlocked, but keep the key FOB secure while away without a place to lock it up.? This seems to be a problem of the start button and not having a key.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you want to leave the FOB in the car but leave the alarm off follow the steps in the original post.

If you want to leave the FOB in the car but have the alarm armed replace step 4

> 4. Use emergency key to lock driver's door. Car is locked but no alarm.

with

> 4. Use the lock controls on the door panel before closing the driver door. Car is locked and the alarm is armed.

then to enter you can use the emergency key which will set off the alarm or use the push button control on the rear lift gate.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
249 Posts
The above, from the user manual is very cumbersome. I guess I was hoping that someone had come up with a simpler solution that was a bit more practical. But thanks for the summery....

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am a bit confused as I do not see this as cumbersome. The process takes just a few seconds and you are on your way. I personally do not have a need for this but the process is quick and easy. My concern would be leaving the key behind in an unattended car over the concern of using this procedure. Not trying to argue but just want to understand as I have considered doing this when traveling by air to avoid bringing the key FOB. My thoughts are to bring the emergency key plus have my phone to the use the remote unlock when I get back to my car.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
324 Posts
Me too, so I put it in a small snack size zip-lock and inside the dry bag. But never had a leak in the dry bag. And I've tested it numerous times.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,381 Posts
I know this wont help us with the Foz but Jaguar has a very cool solution to this.
Its a waterproof wrist band transmitter. You lock just lock your keys in your car and go swimming or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
The easiest way is to buy a cheap RFID bag, large enough so the keyfob fits inside.
Presto! You can lock car and use phone to unlock.
This is how I do it. Keep it in the center console.
I’m sure there’s other means but this works for me.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
249 Posts
The easiest way is to buy a cheap RFID bag, large enough so the keyfob fits inside.
Presto! You can lock car and use phone to unlock.
This is how I do it. Keep it in the center console.
I’m sure there’s other means but this works for me.
But then you must keep the phone with you and keep it waterproof...why not then just carry the key fob ?

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
I crafted my own RFID bag but for other purposes. I wrapped my spare FOB in aluminum foil and have it hidden in the interior. In the event I lose my key, I can use my phone to unlock, or unlock with the pin code at the rear hatch. Still trying to find a local locksmith to make a copy of the emergency key (need to find out where to get the right blank)

I would stash the emergency key somewhere on the exterior for the highly unlikely case where I lose my primary key FOB and the battery is dead. Would then use the emergency key to easily get into the vehicle and get a jump start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a scuba diver and have not yet found a dry container that will be guaranteed by the manufacturer to withstand the pressures of deep diving below 20 metres depth so my solution with a 2019 Forester is to use a portable key storage safe clipped to the chain anchors associated with the towbar kit (see the type of device I mean at Sandleford 150 x 60 x 45mm Portable Key Storage Safe).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts