Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal: My trusted old Ipod is not supported in my 2019, so I transferred all my music on an usb mass storage. It work fine alone, but If I connect my Iphone on the second usb port to have apple carplay, the usb key is not accessible. It's the company phone so I'm not allowed to store music on it before anyone ask. I'd like to be able to listen to my music when mapquest is running... Any idea/way to correct this?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
109 Posts
@UGCspawn There isn’t one from what I’ve heard. I’ve tried to get answers from Subaru and apple. Only one USB port at a time can be active. Subaru has to change something it appears for both to be active

·
Registered
2019 Forester
118 Posts
@UGCspawn Had this same issue - I've had a couple of cars with Carplay and this is the only one that disables the USB ports (other than charging) when phone plugged in. I never used to keep music on my phone but now have to. Very annoying. Also the only car I've had that only connects 1 bluetooth at a time - others connected but you could only use 1 bluetooth connection - so my iPhones trying to do the DND if bluetooth connected only works with the last phone used (when wife and I are both in car). Previous cars could connect multiple bluetooth devices and used which one wanted to be in use

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
94 Posts
@UGCspawn Pretty sure I've played music off a USB flash drive while using Google Maps on Android Auto. Haven't tried it with Carplay since I don't have an iPhone. The stereo can only read drives formated FAT16 or 32. Drives larger than 32GB are usually formatted exFAT, which it can't read.

Try a different cable. Sometimes it can be finicky and won't see your phone.

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@UGCspawn Pretty sure I've played music off a USB flash drive while using Google Maps on Android Auto. Haven't tried it with Carplay since I don't have an iPhone. The stereo can only read drives formated FAT16 or 32. Drives larger than 32GB are usually formatted exFAT, which it can't read.

The radio can read the files on the usb key(connected directly in the port, no cable). I can see the usb drive in the media section on the touchscreen, but as soon as I plug in the phone and carplay link itself, the usb key dessapear from the media menu.
The old nano can also work if I connect it through the old composite jack, but it won't charge since it,s not connected to usb.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
460 Posts
@UGCspawn I use both USB's more than 50% of the time. Samsung s10e is connected for Waze/Google maps all the time. Most of the time I listen to my loaded up thumb drive for music. No issues with either. Might be an apple thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on the mood. Sometime I can see both, sometimes I get just the music on my iphone, sometimes I get neither. This car is a box of chocolates, you never know what will work. When I asked at the dealer, I got a long "duh I don't know" answer. Hopefully if enough people post maybe Subaru will notice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, here's the deal: My trusted old Ipod is not supported in my 2019, so I transferred all my music on an usb mass storage. It work fine alone, but If I connect my Iphone on the second usb port to have apple carplay, the usb key is not accessible. It's the company phone so I'm not allowed to store music on it before anyone ask. I'd like to be able to listen to my music when mapquest is running... Any idea/way to correct this?
OK this is a fix for your issue on a Forester.
My wife has a new Forester 2019 and had the same problem you are having, after some trail and error this is your fix. If you use a cable to connect your phone your USB with music on it will not work at all your iPhone or Android will connect by way of Blue Tooth without using a cable, the only time you will use a cable is to charge your phone and this must done using the charge point in the centre console this will not effect you USB and every thing will be ok. I hope you understand this.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,349 Posts

Can't use Apple Play and thumb drive on my '19 Crosstrek. But yea try original apple cables.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe an adapter like this. 2 in 1 USB OTG and Charging Adapter
Plug the adapter into your phone, then plug USB drive into the adapter, then plug your iPhone cable to the adapter and your cars USB port.
I don't know that this will work. My theory is it will trick the car into seeing the combined iPhone and USB dtorage device as a single device and be able to play music and use Apple Carplay with your navigation simultaneously.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
98 Posts
Can't use Apple Play and thumb drive on my '19 Crosstrek. But yea try original apple cables.
I use Android Auto, and have a 128GB thumb drive with music also. They both work, but there are limitations that I suspect might apply to Carplay also.

With only the thumb drive connected, the head unit built in media player works fine, as well as voice commands using the steering wheel voice button. "play (song/artist/album/Playlist" etc.

The problem is that when I connect my phone, Android Auto takes over and all voice commands get routed to Google Assistant instead. Google Assistant can see the music stored on the phone, but not the music on the thumb drive connected to the head unit. I suspect the same thing happens with Siri and Carplay.

With my phone connected and Android Auto running, I can still go back to the head unit main menu and select the built in Media player and select the thumb drive music on the screen. I just can't access them via voice commands. Fortunately, I can jump to the media player screen to queue up an album or Playlist while Android Auto is running Google Maps for example and then return to the Google Maps display without issue.

You might try that approach if the same thing is happening with Carplay.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
55 Posts
Turn off CarPlay, the iPhone goes into iPod Mode; you can plug in two (or more) devices, it will recognize them all.

My 2nd biggest gripe against CarPlay is how it monopolizes the whole system—voice control, USB, etc are all 2nd fiddle until you unplug the phone.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
118 Posts
My prior car with CarPlay didn't monopolize the whole system. I could use CarPlay and other USB port etc. for music. I think this is a Subaru / HK issue. Similarly, my prior cars more than 1 phone could be connected via bluetooth at the same time so whichever phone got a call was used - in my Subaru I have to actually change the BT connection to the phone I want when wife and I are in car - makes things like Do Not Disturb nor work at you'd like it to.
So I don't think some of these issues are CarPlay they are the way Subaru and its vendors have implemented things.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
232 Posts
My experience is that any inserted USB drive will be ignored if a cell phone is plugged into the other USB socket. I keep access to my music by loading it onto my iPhone, which has 256 GB of storage. I’m able to get access to as much music as the phone will hold, and am not limited to the 32 GB USB drive, which is the largest volume the Subaru head unit can read.
I appreciate that buying a $1000 iPhone is not a great solution just to get your music available, but in my case, it worked out nicely. I had the phone before I bought the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar but related issue. I use Android Auto and my wife uses Apple Car Play. We were driving with Android Auto activated and working fine. She then plugged here iPhone in to the second USB slot to charge her phone. My 2019 Forrester Touring immediately switched to Car Play and disconnected Android Auto. I tried switching USB slots (thinking that the top slot had higher priority over the bottom) but the same thing kept happening. It seems that Subaru prioritizes Car Play over Android Auto.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
98 Posts
My experience is that any inserted USB drive will be ignored if a cell phone is plugged into the other USB socket.
2019 Touring - Mine can play music from the USB drive while my phone is connected and running Android Auto. Voice commands will go to the phone, but the built in Media screen can still access the USB drive.
32 GB USB drive, which is the largest volume the Subaru head unit can read.
I have a 128 GB USB drive. I suspect the newer head units now support larger drives.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
98 Posts
I have a similar but related issue. I use Android Auto and my wife uses Apple Car Play. We were driving with Android Auto activated and working fine. She then plugged here iPhone in to the second USB slot to charge her phone. My 2019 Forrester Touring immediately switched to Car Play and disconnected Android Auto. I tried switching USB slots (thinking that the top slot had higher priority over the bottom) but the same thing kept happening. It seems that Subaru prioritizes Car Play over Android Auto.
Or maybe it just switches to the last inserted phone. I had the same thing happen, but resolved by plugging in the wife's IPhone in the USB jack at the back of the center arm rest instead.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
94 Posts
I’m able to get access to as much music as the phone will hold, and am not limited to the 32 GB USB drive, which is the largest volume the Subaru head unit can read.
FAT32 is limited to 32GB when you're formatting the drive in Windows 10, but there are tools you can download to format drives larger the 32GB in FAT32. Anything larger than 32GB is formatted exFAT, which the Subaru head unit can't read. Found this out when I tired using a 64GB flash drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts