Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal: My trusted old Ipod is not supported in my 2019, so I transferred all my music on an usb mass storage. It work fine alone, but If I connect my Iphone on the second usb port to have apple carplay, the usb key is not accessible. It's the company phone so I'm not allowed to store music on it before anyone ask. I'd like to be able to listen to my music when mapquest is running... Any idea/way to correct this?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
109 Posts
@UGCspawn There isn’t one from what I’ve heard. I’ve tried to get answers from Subaru and apple. Only one USB port at a time can be active. Subaru has to change something it appears for both to be active

·
Registered
2019 Forester
107 Posts
@UGCspawn Had this same issue - I've had a couple of cars with Carplay and this is the only one that disables the USB ports (other than charging) when phone plugged in. I never used to keep music on my phone but now have to. Very annoying. Also the only car I've had that only connects 1 bluetooth at a time - others connected but you could only use 1 bluetooth connection - so my iPhones trying to do the DND if bluetooth connected only works with the last phone used (when wife and I are both in car). Previous cars could connect multiple bluetooth devices and used which one wanted to be in use

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
77 Posts
@UGCspawn Pretty sure I've played music off a USB flash drive while using Google Maps on Android Auto. Haven't tried it with Carplay since I don't have an iPhone. The stereo can only read drives formated FAT16 or 32. Drives larger than 32GB are usually formatted exFAT, which it can't read.

Try a different cable. Sometimes it can be finicky and won't see your phone.

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@UGCspawn Pretty sure I've played music off a USB flash drive while using Google Maps on Android Auto. Haven't tried it with Carplay since I don't have an iPhone. The stereo can only read drives formated FAT16 or 32. Drives larger than 32GB are usually formatted exFAT, which it can't read.

Try a different cable. Sometimes it can be finicky and won't see your phone.
The radio can read the files on the usb key(connected directly in the port, no cable). I can see the usb drive in the media section on the touchscreen, but as soon as I plug in the phone and carplay link itself, the usb key dessapear from the media menu.
The old nano can also work if I connect it through the old composite jack, but it won't charge since it,s not connected to usb.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
446 Posts
@UGCspawn I use both USB's more than 50% of the time. Samsung s10e is connected for Waze/Google maps all the time. Most of the time I listen to my loaded up thumb drive for music. No issues with either. Might be an apple thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on the mood. Sometime I can see both, sometimes I get just the music on my iphone, sometimes I get neither. This car is a box of chocolates, you never know what will work. When I asked at the dealer, I got a long "duh I don't know" answer. Hopefully if enough people post maybe Subaru will notice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts