Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019, 2.0i-S. Similar to US Touring model.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I would like to investigate if I can install my two amps INTO the back of the rear seats so that when I fold down the seats, the amps would not protrude above the seat back when loading stuff. (Of course I would be covering it with clear acrylic and then cover that with something else to prevent scratching the acrylic).

In order to figure out if that idea would work, I need to figure out how to remove the seat back carpeting. Does anyone know how to do that? Pics would be great too ! TIA.
PS - It's two beautiful white old school Zapco amps that I'd like to show when I want - and I'd hate to hide them below the front seats.. lol...

Automotive design Font Audio equipment Gas Bumper

Automotive lighting Grille Bumper Automotive tire Rim

·
Registered
2023 ordered
61 Posts
So ive done stuff like this in show vehicles and I can tell you that heat dissipation is a HUGE problem in these types of installs, even if your acrylic panels have holes in them for airflow the amp being surrounded by material will choke it out. Its something that looks good but often doesnt work well. Also it does make most seats pretty much unusable after for passengers as the material gets way to thin to actually still be a usable seat.

·
Registered
2019, 2.0i-S. Similar to US Touring model.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that... I recognize that if I do go that route, I'd need to have fans cooling... And as well, I don't plan on removing material from the seat cushioning to degrade the comfort of the seats... For now - I know it is a wild idea - but I would still at least like to look behind it to see if it could at be possible..

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,001 Posts
There may not be enough padding in the seat left once you scrape out foam to fit the fans and the amps, plus a channel or tunnel for the wiring in and out and ... Even if there is, there is probably going to be some metal framework inside that keeps the foam "in shape" when somebody sits in the back seat.

Short of cutting a seat apart, I'm not sure you going to be able to

I believe the rear seat panel (the carpeted part that is "up" when the back is down) is held on by clips. Or it could be some screws hidden at the bottom that are covered by the carpet "flap" that covers the space between the folded seat backs and the rear cargo floor.

OR it could be that the entire cover comes off (like a glove or mitten) and the carpet is sewn to the cloth/vinyl/leather of the seat face - which means it may be held in place (internally) with hog-rings to the metal frame work.

Organism Font Event Monochrome Map

Looking at this picture (below) my guess about the rear cover being a single piece (carpet sewn to leather/vinyl/cloth) and slipping over like a sleeve or a glove, would appear correct and looks to have a "reverse zipper" (inside sipper head) on the side "wings" (the vertical line)

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture

1 - 4 of 4 Posts