Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2019 Subaru Forester. Around 80 mph, the hood starts fluttering or bouncing like the hood latch is not secured.
Please, I don't want to hear your complaints about speeding....I live in Southern California and this is normal cruising speed.
Anyway, not a problem but it just seems like a design flaw. My older 2010 Forester never did this.
Still love the car and its got 12,500 miles on it.
Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is not normal. Mines good up over 100. Like others said check the hood stops and adjust.

Edit: Just remembered my 19 has the hood bug deflector installed so maybe that's why my experience has been without issue.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
Not sure about the new '19s but my '17 XT does this as well. All '14 to '18 models do it as well. There is only 1 latch point in the center of my hood with 2 bumpers either side. No amount of adjustment worked. I had some branches fall on the hood requiring replacement and the new hood does the same. The body shop called me to let me know they did anything and everything to adjust it with no cure.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
My '18 does this as well. It's not some dramatic bouncing, but more like a mild flutter, no noise. At 60+ I start to notice. I have a past of autobody experience and I have dug through the assembly and mounts meticulously and the design just seems to "allow it". I wouldn't be too concerned.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Klemmer and Vxss, you both screwed out the stops/bushings/bumpers to their highest position and still have hood flutter?
Try adding a 1" circle of thick felt ,designed for furniture feet, to to top of the stop or the underside of the hood where to stop contacts it.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
Klemmer and Vxss, you both screwed out the stops/bushings/bumpers to their highest position and still have hood flutter?
Try adding a 1" circle of thick felt ,designed for furniture feet, to to top of the stop or the underside of the hood where to stop contacts it.
Yeah, if turned out anymore, it is loose enough to fall out with some vibration. Again, mine is snug, and only has some buffeting "at speed". I considered testing by taping some coins to the underside hood to add a few mm to see what results I got, but in all honesty, it is not a concern of mine. It's a traffic crawling daily, not a track car heh. THAT car is in my garage. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
OK, I now stand corrected. When driving 80 MPH into a strong 20+ MPH head wind the entire hood started flexing up and vibrating like mad. Had this happen a bunch now on this road trip out West with speed limits of 75 MPH or more.

I had my wife drive while watching. My conclusion. This is a design flaw. It appears that so much air is being ramed under the hood that it's pressurizing the underside as the air can't escape between the hood and cowl seals causing the entire hood to flex up and vibrate. It's not just happening at the front but the entire hood is bouncing. Crazy. I just hope the hood latch holds. The one time at 100 MPH into a head wind I thought the hood was going to fly off. OMG. Crazy design Subaru...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,454 Posts
The first time I drove my 17xt ... I was like what the %#%. My 18 does it too, but not as significant

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've got a feeling it has something to do with increasing mpg by reducing mass.
Lighter hood = more flex.
Yes, and the hood is now Aluminum, but it also flexes the hood hinges near the firewall. This isn't just the hood flexing. It's actually bouncing and flexing at the rear hinge points too. This is a design flaw as there's way too much air pressure under the hood at high speed.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,015 Posts
It's not a design flaw. Vehicles are being designed for airflow and it can help with aerodynamics to allow air to flow through and under rather than always forcing it up and over. This may aid in cooling, may aid in the flow of air over the back side of the engine, the transmission and other areas that may not have cooling capabilities.

You can snug "up" the hood support bumpers to make a tighter fit and provide less bouncing. You could add felt pads (like for cabinet doors) to the underside of the hood (where it rests on the support bumpers to hold the make the hood firmer against the hood catch - the part that keeps the hood down when driving. You could add some weather stripping along the lines of the fenders and hood to move air around.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's not a design flaw. Vehicles are being designed for airflow and it can help with aerodynamics to allow air to flow through and under rather than always forcing it up and over. This may aid in cooling, may aid in the flow of air over the back side of the engine, the transmission and other areas that may not have cooling capabilities.

You can snug "up" the hood support bumpers to make a tighter fit and provide less bouncing. You could add felt pads (like for cabinet doors) to the underside of the hood (where it rests on the support bumpers to hold the make the hood firmer against the hood catch - the part that keeps the hood down when driving. You could add some weather stripping along the lines of the fenders and hood to move air around.
Except it's bouncing and flexing as much if not more at the hinges near the firewall (back of the hood). No amount of bumper (front of the hood) fiddling will correct this. My hood sets firmly on the bumpers with zero play.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,015 Posts
Hi PW - go to the dealer and have them check that - it could be an issue on the way your hinges and hood is (are) mounted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts