Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
288 Posts
We drove out to the Southwest last year in our '19 Forester (base) and noticed the hood fluttering up and down very noticeably on 2-lane roads when a truck approaches and passes going in the opposite direction. The back of the hood appeared to move up and down perhaps an inch. Very disconcerting. Neither of our Kia Souls ('13 and '20 models) has done this.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,218 Posts
When you adjust the hood bumpers, know that there is a perfect spot... it you go too high, the hood can be difficult to latch and can sit a bit higher with bigger gaps between the front fenders and also the grill and headlamps. Too low and the hood may not rest on the bumper and can bounce around...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got a feeling it has something to do with increasing mpg by reducing mass.
Lighter hood = more flex.
Yes, and the hood is now Aluminum, but it also flexes the hood hinges near the firewall. This isn't just the hood flexing. It's actually bouncing and flexing at the rear hinge points too. This is a design flaw as there's way too much air pressure under the hood at high speed.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,218 Posts
It's not a design flaw. Vehicles are being designed for airflow and it can help with aerodynamics to allow air to flow through and under rather than always forcing it up and over. This may aid in cooling, may aid in the flow of air over the back side of the engine, the transmission and other areas that may not have cooling capabilities.

You can snug "up" the hood support bumpers to make a tighter fit and provide less bouncing. You could add felt pads (like for cabinet doors) to the underside of the hood (where it rests on the support bumpers to hold the make the hood firmer against the hood catch - the part that keeps the hood down when driving. You could add some weather stripping along the lines of the fenders and hood to move air around.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's not a design flaw. Vehicles are being designed for airflow and it can help with aerodynamics to allow air to flow through and under rather than always forcing it up and over. This may aid in cooling, may aid in the flow of air over the back side of the engine, the transmission and other areas that may not have cooling capabilities.

You can snug "up" the hood support bumpers to make a tighter fit and provide less bouncing. You could add felt pads (like for cabinet doors) to the underside of the hood (where it rests on the support bumpers to hold the make the hood firmer against the hood catch - the part that keeps the hood down when driving. You could add some weather stripping along the lines of the fenders and hood to move air around.
Except it's bouncing and flexing as much if not more at the hinges near the firewall (back of the hood). No amount of bumper (front of the hood) fiddling will correct this. My hood sets firmly on the bumpers with zero play.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,218 Posts
Hi PW - go to the dealer and have them check that - it could be an issue on the way your hinges and hood is (are) mounted.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
567 Posts
FWIW Low Fruit.

I got the idea of washing the car right before a hard cold snap. Then opened the hood to check oil before heading N. the inner latch froze open. The outer, that you release at the front, still operated. Off I go. Yeah. scary looked fine until about 70mph.

I parked in sun at a rest area, the heat from the engine helped thaw it. Sprayed the daylights with WD-40 later.

So check your latches.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
935 Posts
Bouncing at the hinges is very odd.

For what it’s worth, I’ve watched for this bouncing hood behavior in my 2019 under all sorts of speeds and conditions (passing trucks, heavy crosswinds). The hood is rock solid. I’m not discounting the experience of others, but not all Foresters exhibit this behavior. My car is stock.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bouncing at the hinges is very odd.

For what it’s worth, I’ve watched for this bouncing hood behavior in my 2019 under all sorts of speeds and conditions (passing trucks, heavy crosswinds). The hood is rock solid. I’m not discounting the experience of others, but not all Foresters exhibit this behavior. My car is stock.
I said the same thing as you just posted until seeing in winds of about 100MPH. 85 MPH into a 20MPH head wind. My guess is many will never see this issue. Mine is also rock solid at 65MPH. I also wonder if the variable air shutters under the grill need to be open?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 Forester Sport. Like 1400 miles and noticed this driving from AZ to California. In high winds, it was concerning. Will record and report it to the dealer. See what they say. They'll probably suggest not speeding...

·
Administrator
15,982 Posts
G'day & Welcome @flat_earth
Will be interesting to see what they have to say!

BTW
Could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least, thanks:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that any thread your create could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2020 is going in for it;;s first service next week. I took it in for this issue immediately after buying it last year and was told it's adjusted fine. This time, I'm going to be more specific - tell them to take it on the interstate, run it up to 75 then find an 18 wheeler, draft it and pass it while watching the hood. You can't miss it!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts