Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also ended up getting the Ecohitch, and installed it the other day. Went slow, and took about 3 hours overall. The most difficult part was removing/detaching/reattaching the muffler support, which took some amount of grunting and judicious use of four-letter words. And even with the muffler lowered, it is awkward to work in the cramped space between it and the frame. Overall, very satisfied with the end result though, and would recommend this product!

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
5 Posts
I'm new to this forum after spending years on the XV forum. I have had 2 VXs, my kids now drive. Decided I need more room and liked the redesign of the Forester so I picked up the 2019 Sport in December.

First thing it need was a hitch and this thread with the fact my dealer only had the 1.25" available and wanted $900+ for the hitch installed, sold me on the 2" EchoHitch. My install took 3.25 hours to install with one issue. The nuts would not grab the studs with all the washers installed. There was a gap between the hitch plate and the body. I think the hitch was slightly over bend (reduced radius). Also could not snake the bolt into the driver side until the back bolts were tight. Took a little pattern torquing and loosening to draw the hitch to the body.

The end result looks and works great. Much better than the Curt I installed on my XVs. But I was able to get 2 Curts for the price of one EchoHitch.

When I went to order the hitch the picture on EchoHitch website didn't match the one shown on this thread. I asked for the installation instructions and low and behold THEY ARE IN COLOR. Real easy to see what needs done. Hope the attached helps anyone with their installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have concerns about removing the rear bumper cross member and using the eco hitch in its place? From what I can tell from the installation instructions, the rear bumper bar is permanently removed after installing the 2019 eco hitch. Would this be a problem in a rear end collision?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
312 Posts
Does anyone have concerns about removing the rear bumper cross member and using the eco hitch in its place? From what I can tell from the installation instructions, the rear bumper bar is permanently removed after installing the 2019 eco hitch. Would this be a problem in a rear end collision?
Won’t be an issue. The receivers cross bar is much stronger than the original cross member.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Raw,

What is your photography background? And what are you shooting with? Love your composition.

The one in the tall grass is awesome and makes me laugh too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Nope, just take a lot of photos. Blind squirrel get the nut, as I have a huge SD card. Sony with 1" sensor. RX100

Cellphone for the simple quick shots.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh nothing, just the Sony RX100 which has been the best P and S for years. I know a few pros that use it for unobtrusive candids thanks to the flip out viewer.

I own one too. Got tired of carrying the camera bag and 3 lenses during family vacations. Love just slipping it in my pocket and going.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
4 Posts
Just finished installing this yesterday.
Newbie here and took me longer than expected.. about 4-5 hours. But mostly because of lack of tools, I rant to the store no less than 3 times :lol:. Looks great installed. I think if I had more familiarity and all of the tools, could've knocked this out in about 2.5 hours or so.

Things that I needed in addition to what was listed on the front page:
- ended up needing a socket extension - 5" at least. My torque wrench was too bulky to fit between the cross bar and the actual bolt. So needed an extension to help break it as well as torque it appropriately.
- Needed a 19mm deep socket for the bottom bolt. The bolt adjacent to the muffler was not fun. You can certainly get it done, but wouldve been much easier just to take the muffler off.

Ultimately the thing that took me the longest was because of the above - just difficulty getting the bolts/cross bar off and then difficulty getting it torqued appropriately. Everything else was a breeze.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did the install of the Ecohitch on my 2019 touring today. Because of all the great info on this thread it went like a breeze. I bought the 2" version as my bike rack and stuff are all 2". I highly recommend the Ecohitch and doing the install yourself, l saved a ton cash doing it myself. Bought some cross bars and had the front door windows tinted, which add to the look. Its great, I'm enjoying my forester.

Oh, meant to tell you guys, easiest way to remove muffler mounts is with wd40 and a piece of wood, like the end of a hammer handle, just push & pry, comes off so easy.
Regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
89 Posts
Why wreck to look of your Forester with a big honking hitch?

https://***************.com/select-ecohitch-size

All you see is the hitch receiver. The heavy duty hitch frame replaces the wimpy bumper support.

$315.99 delivered.

2" Euro Curt ball with 2 3/4" rise. 3,500 pound hitch and Euro ball.

Nice tires. I can make out that they’re BF Goodrich, but what size and do they fit on a stock setup without rub.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT 5MT
33 Posts
5. The crosspiece support is held on with four 14mm bolts and two nuts. This piece is not reused but I saved it for any future accident. Removal exposed the car frame that the hitch fits into.
What do you mean by "saved it for any future accident"?

Thanks for the detailed install info!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
173 Posts
Anyone know if the this particular hitch install affect the rear auto braking feature?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
414 Posts
No it will not. I have actually used this feature after install and can confirm. In fact, the sensors are in the bumper cover and not affected by installation at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
a question, comment, and Thanks to the OP for this thread!

Q: if the main use of hitch is for light recovery point, can the 1 1/4" size be put to use? (saving weight & $$$)

WD40 should Not be used with rubber/ similar material. use pure silicone or dishwashing detergent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
29 Posts
I used a Rockwell F80 Oscillation Multi-Tool to cut the notch in the bumper cover. Made for a quick, clean and accurate job.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
36 Posts
It looks like the rear recovery point is built into the bumper beam that gets removed when the ecohitch is installed. Does anyone know if the hitch can be used as a recovery point instead? If not, any suggestions how to rig recovery straps on the back if needed?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts