Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Touring - Draw Tite #76271 2" hitch and Thule T2 Classic bike rack install.

Even though I'm an avid DIYer, I elected to purchase and have the hitch installed by U-Haul since I did not have a good way to raise the car. The price was the same as elsewhere and they only charged $30 for installation and gave it a lifetime guarantee. With tax and installation, I paid $185. I bought the bike rack online.

Very happy with the results and with the rigidity and stability of the bikes going down the road. I cut 1/2" off the top of the front-most plastic bike wheel cup since it touched the bumper when the bike rack is folded up.

With or without bikes loaded, I still have a usable but reduced view from the rear camera. As for the Reverse Automatic Braking system, it detects the obstruction and disables itself while bikes are loaded or the rack is stowed vertically. When the bike rack is removed, it operates normally again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here is my 2019 Sport. DrawTite Hitch.

Did not have to raise the vehicle to install. Have to cut heat shield but that's easy.

Install in 90 minutes without help. I already owned the exhaust hanger removal tool so the install was very easy. With 2 people, I think 30-45 minutes is doable.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drawtite Hitch with a 1-Up single tray rack.

I installed the hitch by myself. It definitely would have been easier with help, but I was able to use my floor jack to lift it into place while I bolted it on. I also think in retrospect it would have been easier to just remove and reinstall the muffler - would have made accessibility much easier, and it's only 2 bolts to remove.

The bike rack doesn't impede the backup camera at all, but it does set off the reverse sensors and disable the automatic braking. The 1-Up racks are super easy to install/remove, so I plan on keeping it off the car when not in use. I also noticed that, with a large mountain bike on the rack, the blind spot detectors would occasionally be tripped.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
264 Posts
I think the Torklift Eco Hidden Hitch looks best for the Forester. Although the install might be more difficult seeing you need to remove the rear bumper cover.
I hate seeing the tow hitch bars hang lie these do.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring Auto-CVT
285 Posts
I think the Torklift Eco Hidden Hitch looks best for the Forester. Although the install might be more difficult seeing you need to remove the rear bumper cover.
I hate seeing the tow hitch bars hang lie these do.
Meh, I have the Drawtite and it barely shows. YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I don't think it's bad, especially with the black bumper trim. If I wanted it to be less visible I could remove the stickers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts