Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Li
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
Have fitted an LED light bar to my new MY19 Forrester. As yet I haven’t been able to find a high beam trigger wire. Has anyone else had any success in activating the aftermarket lights using the high beam circuit. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2019 Forester Li
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wondering if anyone has wired in their auxiliary lights into their high beam and found the wires that trigger the high beam - running a fob button is painful and somewhat illegal?

Thanks
Steve

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,427 Posts
I don't have diagrams nor am I familiar with the implementation of DRLs in 2019. So this is just based on my general background of how Subaru does things.

A common way to get something to come on when a headlight is on is to wire the coil of a relay across the headlight, and then use the relay's contacts to control the device. However, this scheme won't work if Subaru continues to use high beams as DRLs, as this would fool the relay. But if you have a LED array as DRL, then it could be the answer, as high beams would only be on in their primary role as high beams. I have heard that some model levels are using LEDs for DRL, but I don't now the details.

If this fails, then deep surgery into the headlight switch? Or, if it's driven directly from the headlight and not from a module, a relay across the high beam indicator? Don't mess with modules! They fry very easily

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
237 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has wired in their auxiliary lights into their high beam and found the wires that trigger the high beam - running a fob button is painful and somewhat illegal?
Wouldn’t using the high beam trigger be just as illegal? (Not knowing your states laws) In most states “auxiliary” means just that, especially if it is a light meant just for “off road use only”. Besides, I think you will find the wiring on these new cars is far more difficult than it would just running it separately off of your own switch.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Li
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have diagrams nor am I familiar with the implementation of DRLs in 2019. So this is just based on my general background of how Subaru does things.

A common way to get something to come on when a headlight is on is to wire the coil of a relay across the headlight, and then use the relay's contacts to control the device. However, this scheme won't work if Subaru continues to use high beams as DRLs, as this would fool the relay. But if you have a LED array as DRL, then it could be the answer, as high beams would only be on in their primary role as high beams. I have heard that some model levels are using LEDs for DRL, but I don't now the details.

If this fails, then deep surgery into the headlight switch? Or, if it's driven directly from the headlight and not from a module, a relay across the high beam indicator? Don't mess with modules! They fry very easily
Thanks for your reply.

The last couple of cars I've had I've done just that. Using a relay connected to the high beam power supply switching wire. Unfortunately Subarus fancy LED directional headlights and negative earthing system makes finding a trigger wire incredibly difficult.. It appears they may be even computer controlled with a can bus system.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Li
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn’t using the high beam trigger be just as illegal? (Not knowing your states laws) In most states “auxiliary” means just that, especially if it is a light meant just for “off road use only”. Besides, I think you will find the wiring on these new cars is far more difficult than it would just running it separately off of your own switch.
Fortunately, in Australia, aux lighting e.g. spotlights, driving lights etc are not illegal but they must operate off the high beam circuit. They are certainly essential component of safe driving in country roads at night. And make sporting kangaroos and wombats more easy. I think you may be right. Locating the wiring is proving rather difficult.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
926 Posts
Is this light bar meant to be used as a high beam?

If not it will probably flood your near distance area with tons of light, making your high-beams less effective for seeing distant objects since your irisis will contract to accommodate the brighter near-distance light making everything further away darker and less distinct ...

I can see how having this setup might be convenient for dark country roads: but probably would not be ideal for highway driving at higher speeds, when being able to identify distant objects is more important.

Ah - nevermind: just re-read your last post and see that triggering aux lighting via high-beam is required by law. If it were me I would probably wire in an additional switch that allowed me to disable it for highway use I suppose.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
39 Posts
There's a guy that posted on the NASIOC Ultimate Auxiliary Lighting and Mount thread, post #6937 that pulled a trigger from the high beam fuse in the under hood fusebox. He stated he had bi-LED's on a 2018 WRX? Possibly your car is similar? Also remember that a negative wire could be used to trigger a relay, positive could be any ignition-on source.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice. Just what i was looking for as well. Im gona be doing some digging with a dmm tmw with the wife. Ill see what i can find, if any

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,485 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,485 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry, i do have a 2019 for the wife.:) thanks for checking up on me about that tho!

I just checked to see if there were any tapturn type units via canbus. Not yet..

·
Registered
275 Posts
so after a while, and finally finding this thread again, thats a no go on the canm8. They said even their austrailian vendors arent having success with the canm8 on the 2019 subarus. Trying to return the product, but at a standstill, as they are still trying to figure out a loop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking for a solution to this, because I want to maintain the auto-high beam functionality on my 2020 Forester. I used your posts to help guide me to a solution, so wanted to share what I think should be the workaround that will allow us to auto-trigger driving lights on high beam...

You can get the high beam trigger off the lack of power to the fog lights. Not the high beam wire we want, but it works the same with a bit of programming and a Skene controller:

"Thank you for your interest in our IQ-275 intelligent dimmer.

You are correct that the 275’s yellow wire can store a brightness setting for three states (disconnected, 12 volts, grounded). So if you connect the yellow wire to a fog light wire that has 12 volts with low beams and no power with high beam you would have two settings that you can program for anything from 0 to 100% in 10% increments (e.g. 30% & 70%, 30% & 100%, 40% & 80%, etc..).

If the 275’s white wire has 12 volts then it will override the yellow wire and turn on the lights at 100%. The white wire is used for programming so attaching it to a separate switch would make adjusting brightness levels easy and enable a third brightness level with this set up. Note the yellow wire settings are programmable but the white wire is always 100% with 12 volts.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts