Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took delivery on our 2019 Forester. Absolutely love it!! I do have a question about the heated steering wheel, it appears to only heat up the bottom of the steering wheel. Is that the norm?

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
186 Posts
Our '17 Touring heats primarily at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions, and less at the bottom. I'd compare yours with another '19.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
Ditto - good heat at 2 and 10 positions. Since I mainly grip there, can't comment on bottom heat. Seems like yours is reverse

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
My sister's 2017 Forester limited heats between the 2-4 o'clock & 8-10 o'clock positions. I believe it states that in her owner's manual.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.51 Tourin
85 Posts
I just checked my 2017 Touring & mine's the same as Rusty Jake's sister's: the 8-10 o'clock & 2-4 o'clock positions. (I don't get much chilly enough weather here in Tucson to enjoy the heated steering wheel & seats!)

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,533 Posts
the 17-18 heated wheels are among the worst out there for distribution and output.

Hopefully they improved

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,625 Posts
Zero heat at the top. Such a dumb choice. I want my steering wheel nice and warm when the vehicle is cold. When it's cold I'm navigating lots of tight turns getting out of neighborhoods, parking lots, etc and get to go from warm part of the wheel to cold part of the wheel as I'm turning. My other vehicles with heated steering wheels didn't skimp and are much nicer.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,293 Posts
Agreed.
Piss poor heated wheel.
I mean do it right and dont do it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring AWD
22 Posts
I have a new 2019 Touring and the steering wheel heats at the bottom and both side sections but not the top section. I’m reading here this seems normal (but odd). Has anyone added a steering/spinner knob? That’s why I was wondering about that top section, especially around the 2 o’clock position.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
10 Posts
We just pickup up our '19 Forester Limited last week and the heated steering wheel is not what we expected. It's heated at the bottom and as high as the 2 and 10 o'clock positions but not at the top. The dealer told us they stopped heating the top because when the air bag deploys, it could result in broken fingers. Not sure I agree, but at least the '19 engine does NOT shut off after remote starting and any door is opened. That is the dumbest feature and one I have to live with on my leased '17 Forester Premium for another year.

Also...., I called Stamford Subaru to order a Subaru Gold 10/100K zero deductible warranty from Luke and was told he left for another Subaru dealer as of Monday. Luke is a good guy to the Forum members so I decided to wait until we all find out where Luke went and check their price. Stamford Subaru still offers it for $1750. which is the best price I have found after calling several dealers. My dealer quoted me $2175 and won't discount. I bought the car for $3285 off list ($31,800 cost / $35,085 list) or about 9.5% off, plus tax, etc.

Al

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
138 Posts
Every car I researched when trying to decide on a vehicle only heated 2-4 and 8-10 positions. I wish my 2019 Forester Sport had a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
We just pickup up our '19 Forester Limited last week and the heated steering wheel is not what we expected. It's heated at the bottom and as high as the 2 and 10 o'clock positions but not at the top. The dealer told us they stopped heating the top because when the air bag deploys, it could result in broken fingers. Not sure I agree, but at least the '19 engine does NOT shut off after remote starting and any door is opened. That is the dumbest feature and one I have to live with on my leased '17 Forester Premium for another year.

Also...., I called Stamford Subaru to order a Subaru Gold 10/100K zero deductible warranty from Luke and was told he left for another Subaru dealer as of Monday. Luke is a good guy to the Forum members so I decided to wait until we all find out where Luke went and check their price. Stamford Subaru still offers it for $1750. which is the best price I have found after calling several dealers. My dealer quoted me $2175 and won't discount. I bought the car for $3285 off list ($31,800 cost / $35,085 list) or about 9.5% off, plus tax, etc.

Al
Holding the steering wheel at the top is dangerous, deadly and improper. Subaru pushes safety. Users have less control of vehicle and yes, airbag deployment can cause additional injury when you are operating the vehicle improperly.
If its that big of a deal, plenty of manufacturers that don’t push safety as much as Subaru might have something you are after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
138 Posts
Yeah. They don’t even recommend 10&2 anymore they say it’s safest to hold 9&3 with airbag deployment.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
220 Posts
The 2019 manual shows that the top of the steering wheel between the 10:00 and 2:00 position is not heated. Like others have mentioned here, my 2019 gets the warmest at the 10&2 positions where the grip 'humps' are. The lower half of the steering wheel gets warm, but nowhere near as warm as the 10&2 humps. So I guess that's 'normal'.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
186 Posts
The 2019 manual shows that the top of the steering wheel between the 10:00 and 2:00 position is not heated. Like others have mentioned here, my 2019 gets the warmest at the 10&2 positions where the grip 'humps' are. The lower half of the steering wheel gets warm, but nowhere near as warm as the 10&2 humps. So I guess that's 'normal'.
That is my experience as well with my 2020 Touring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts