Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forested Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching before posting this, but I'm at my wits end. I have a 2019 Forested Limited with light leather interior and light fabric headliner.

I also have a Merle Great Dane who is white, black, and gray. I'm able to remove most of the hair from the headliner using a pumice and vacuum, but it's tedious.

Has anyone found a spray that repels hair or makes it easier to remove, or better yet, a headliner cover that protects the ceiling of the cargo space?

Sebastian is about 36 inches standing up and the hair just gets caked into the fabric.
Pictures for reference.
Automotive lighting Rectangle Lamp Sconce Wood Car Dog Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,380 Posts
Strip of duct tape. Stick it to the overhead and pull off.
Repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,631 Posts
Duct tape will work.
Even better - Get one of those lint removal rollers which is basically a roll of wide sticky exposed tape on a handle. .
Roll until it's full of dog hair, pull off the hairy one, and continue with the fresh one.
Works well on furniture too.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,508 Posts
Well my springer's hair gets everywhere, but at least he is not tall enough to rub against the headliner.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have vet shorten dog.
Seriously though, I have similar problem with big black lab. Best option I have found is to use one of those sticky rollers you can find at Walmart, or Ebay. They work "ok" and get about 80% of the hair at any one time, but won't pull any that are imbedded in the liner. They are also cheap

If you have a dog, you have hair in your car. Its just that simple

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
Nothing truer than this -

If you have a dog, you have hair in your car. Its just that simple
I've got 2 dogs (both medium/small) - one black n white, one red-head n white. Both get a bit of hair everywhere. Worse is when I take my mom and her two dogs places with us - both smallish and long hair - a Pekingese and a Shih Tzu... Talk about hair everywhere....

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
808 Posts
an alternative method - dampen a terry washcloth or towel with water, and wipe across all the surfaces. The hair won't all come up onto the rag; it will be more like raking leaves into a pile. Then get your vacuum cleaner and suck up the "piles" of dog hair. This works well on the carpet too. My experience is Golden Retriever, much longer hair, so your results may vary, but you certainly can't hurt anything trying.

·
Registered
Future 2022 Forester Wilderness Owner
316 Posts
Duct tape will work.
Even better - Get one of those lint removal rollers which is basically a roll of wide sticky exposed tape on a handle. .
Roll until it's full of dog hair, pull off the hairy one, and continue with the fresh one.
Works well on furniture too.
If you do this, make sure you get the right one. They are not all created equal. There are ones that are made for pet hair that are WAY stickier.

Also, got to say this will likely be a win for the new Wilderness's Black headliner. It will be the only trim to get that.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
Also, got to say this will likely be a win for the new Wilderness's Black headliner. It will be the only trim to get that.
Except for those of us that do not want a black interior for climate-based reasons.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
808 Posts
Except for those of us that do not want a black interior for climate-based reasons.
black is only hotter if there is radiant (solar) energy striking it - that must be pretty minimal for a headliner. I don't think you'd be bothered by one in a car with overall light color interior at all. (Its looks, another matter I know)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
Indeed - looks are a total other issue.

Ironically, I test drove some Kia models when I bought my Foz many years ago, and one was a blue Sportage with a black interior... the interior felt all to claustrophobic and snug.

But additionally, you won't get a black headliner without a black set of seats.

One other point - I've not been a fan of the black and "java brown" or whatever color the tan/brown interior is.

But yes, a lot is a visual thing too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. I'm hoping ceramic tint can make a big difference in off-setting it. Also the black headliner darkens the interior a good bit.

Indeed - looks are a total other issue.

Ironically, I test drove some Kia models when I bought my Foz many years ago, and one was a blue Sportage with a black interior... the interior felt all to claustrophobic and snug.

But additionally, you won't get a black headliner without a black set of seats.

One other point - I've not been a fan of the black and "java brown" or whatever color the tan/brown interior is.

But yes, a lot is a visual thing too.
Technically the Wilderness seats are grey. Not a very dark grey at that.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
Meh - they're a charcoal grey in reality. It's probably the same "StarTex" vinyl in the Sport which is a shade off of black.

Here's a comparison of the Outback XT and Wilderness vs the Forester Sport and the promo-shots of the Forester Wilderness - it's still all a dark gray almost to the point of being charcoal and will not be friendly in many of the Southern and Southwestern states with lots of sunny days.

Car Photograph Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
316 Posts
@FozzieBalou Yeah, that is what matters. I've even seen reviews of the Wilderness that talked about the seats being sweaty. I hate the heat and this will not be a good situation for the heat. Finally I live in Oklahoma so I get a lot of it. Hopefully I can make it work. I guess worse case scenario I can find a way to do aftermarket cooled seats. Probably have to replace the fabric to accomplish that though.

All that said though, ceramic tint should negate the majority of the problems caused by a black interior.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium CVT
71 Posts
We have cats and getting cat hair out of upholstery is a real pain. Vacuuming alone doesn't do it because the hair actually gets into the upholstery. I imagine getting the fur out of the headliner might be similar. Two things that have worked for me: First using the sticky rollers sold to take hair and lint off of clothing. Downside is: depending on the fabric it can pill it, so if you go this route, try a small area first. Second, I've used a dry microfiber cloth to go over the area in a circular motion, which gets the fur into clumps. Then vacuum those up. Static guard products for upholstery is also available. Wondering if after cleaning the headliner if spraying it with that product might make if easier to keep the fur from sticking. Good luck, I know this problem is a pain.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
15 Posts
I tried searching before posting this, but I'm at my wits end. I have a 2019 Forested Limited with light leather interior and light fabric headliner.

I also have a Merle Great Dane who is white, black, and gray. I'm able to remove most of the hair from the headliner using a pumice and vacuum, but it's tedious.

Has anyone found a spray that repels hair or makes it easier to remove, or better yet, a headliner cover that protects the ceiling of the cargo space?

Sebastian is about 36 inches standing up and the hair just gets caked into the fabric.
Pictures for reference.
View attachment 557823 View attachment 557822
Beautiful baby! We have five dogs, 2 cats - we know about hair lol - I agree - lint rollers will help, but even they don't get every piece of hair. We just started using Bounce Pet Hair Dryer Sheets and it has helped with reducing the pet hair on our clothes - I'm curious if rubbing that all over the head liner - after cleaning it as best you can - would help in keeping the hair from sticking in the first place or at least help? Plus, it smells good :) Let me know if it makes a difference. Our labs don't reach the headliner - thankful our seats are leather and the hair wipes off.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
241 Posts
I wonder if you can buy the removeable plastic (thinking like a cling type they use for factory protection on various items) you could put over the headliner in back? This would keep the hair from getting to the fabric in the first place. Clear wouldn't affect the aesthetics much.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
146 Posts

Pictures for reference.
View attachment 557823 View attachment 557822
rubber brush stop using stone as it damages the fabric of the headliner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts