Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Premium Forester which I received two days ago. I am having the following problem.
After shifting to reverse or drive the low beam headlights come on. There is no way to turn them off until the engine is stopped. It does not matter what the setting is: AUTO or any other setting.

I took this to the dealer. To make a long story short the service manager and the salesman eventually agreed. They had no answer.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
To build off of what @bbottomley said, in anything other than the Limited and Touring, the main headlight also serves as the DRL. In the Limited and Touring they use the "C Light" or "boomerang" for DRL. This is discussed in this thread.

·
Registered
209 Posts
An easy way to verify that indeed the lights are just DRL, look at the tail lights, not on when headlights are off.

·
Super Moderator
17,701 Posts
Everything sounds like DRLs, but for the unknowing reaction from the service manager.

Subaru's procedure has always been that DRLs come on when the engine is running, parking brake is off, and (if automatic transmission) is not in Park. They have swapped around a bit between using low beams or high beams, always running at less than full brilliance, and in recent years have switched to fancy LEDs in some of the higher priced models—not yours or mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Head lights won't turn off 2

I posted the following post previously:

I have a 2019 Premium Forester which I received two days ago. I am having the following problem.
After shifting to reverse or drive the low beam headlights come on. There is no way to turn them off until the engine is stopped. It does not matter what the setting is: AUTO or any other setting.

I took this to the dealer. To make a long story short the service manager and the salesman eventually agreed. They had no answer.

Thanks

I received answers such as DSL.

Common sense tells me those LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS should not come on when shifting to reverse or drive. Why have the sensor that turns your headlights on at dusk if they are already on.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Read both of your posts. If I understand your question,
I agree with the folks who suggested it’s the DRL’s. They are always on when car is not in park.

To check, have someone put car in gear and look at your headlamps. If the bulbs on the inner part of the headlamp are on, these are the DRLs. The actual headlights are the outer bulbs.
The headlights are brighter than the DRLs. When you turn on the headlights, the DRLs go off.

·
Super Moderator
17,701 Posts
I have merged your new thread with the original one to keep things together.

DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) are to help other cars see you in daytime. On most Subarus they aren't a separate set of lights but a special usage of the headlights. They light up one set of headlights at less than full brilliance. Just the headlights. No taillights or anything else.

'Turning on' the headlights lights them up at full brilliance, enables use of both high and low beams, and also lights up tail lights and a few others. For nighttime driving or periods of low visibility.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I posted the following post previously:

Thanks

I received answers such as DSL.

Common sense tells me those LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS should not come on when shifting to reverse or drive. Why have the sensor that turns your headlights on at dusk if they are already on.

Careful throwing out the common sense bit. Sounds like you haven't owned a modern vehicle. Common Sense would be to take the time to read the owners manual.

·
Registered
370 Posts
How about the simple approach?

Go to the dealership and see what happens with the other models the dealership has on its lot like the one you own...

I’m betting on the DRL answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Headlights won't turn off # 3

I previously posted the following message:

Thanks

I received answers such as DRL.

Another suggestion was to turn the lights on when in park and then compare them to the lights that are on when in drive. I did that. There is no difference. The outside LED and the inside yellow lights are both on. I said above that the service manager and the salesman did not have an answer. That was a long story short. I will expand that story more. For the first several minutes they thought I simply did not understand how the lights worked. The service manager told me they were on because we were inside and it was somewhat dark. I said that didn't matter and let's take it outside. We took it outside and the low beam headlights still came on. The service manager got inside the car and fooled around with stuff. I don't know what. The service manager then agreed with me. He had no answer and said he would try to find out something. He has not called.

Bottom line: they come on when shifted into reverse or drive; they will not turn off until the car is shifted into park.

I think there is a defect with something. It is going to be a warranty issue and I am not looking forward to it. I think it will be a battle. Hopefully not.

·
Super Moderator
17,701 Posts
Once again I have merged your threads. Please do not start new threads to continue an already established discussion. We have a strong policy here of keeping everything together for future reference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nonsense. I am 68 years old. I have owned plenty of modern cars. I have looked in the manual, a lot. No answer. That manual is by far the worst manual I have ever had.

·
Super Moderator
17,701 Posts
Another suggestion was to turn the lights on when in park and then compare them to the lights that are on when in drive. I did that. There is no difference.
I think you might have misunderstood the suggestion. I can see how some of it might have been a bit confusing.

Try this:

- Start the car, make sure the hand brake is OFF, make sure that all the lights are switched OFF, put it in Park, and observe. DRLs should be OFF. There should be no light anywhere up front.

- Then put it in Neutral or any other gear that would be safe while the engine is running, and observe. DRLs should be ON.

- Then keep it in Neutral and put the hand brake ON. DRLs should be OFF.

- Then turn the headlights ON with the normal switch. They should behave normally, high beam and low beam, whether in Park or another gear, with or without hand brake.

And one quick question - While you are in this 'headlights are on' state that you describe, are they responsive to high/low beam settings? Or do they just sit there the same, all the time? This could be a significant differentiator between DRLs and true headlights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's called Daylight Running Lights, and it probably can get you a cut in your insurance rates. It's a good thing, not a defect.

·
Foz Addict
121 Posts
Here's an interesting phenomenon I noticed on my '11 (after a friend told me), have yet to try it with the '18...

When I pull the E-Brake handle, the sensor to tell me the brake is applied ALSO shuts off the DRL on the car... if I want to "sneak" into my driveway at night (to keep the lights from shining into the windows) I turn off the lights (which still turns on the DRL) and then pull the hand brake up one click (or just below that click) and the running lights turn off. (Learned that trick from a friend in Law Enforcement whos agency had a Foz as an undercover car...)

I suspect that (because the new lights are better than the older ones) the DRL on your headlights is much brighter than they used to be...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you might have misunderstood the suggestion. I can see how some of it might have been a bit confusing.

Try this:

- Start the car, make sure the hand brake is OFF, make sure that all the lights are switched OFF, put it in Park, and observe. DRLs should be OFF. There should be no light anywhere up front.

- Then put it in Neutral or any other gear that would be safe while the engine is running, and observe. DRLs should be ON.

- Then keep it in Neutral and put the hand brake ON. DRLs should be OFF.

- Then turn the headlights ON with the normal switch. They should behave normally, high beam and low beam, whether in Park or another gear, with or without hand brake.

And one quick question - While you are in this 'headlights are on' state that you describe, are they responsive to high/low beam settings? Or do they just sit there the same, all the time? This could be a significant differentiator between DRLs and true headlights.
Another thing to look at is the dashboard. There's a headlight indicator light (see the attached snapshot from the manual). This light does not turn on when the DRLs are on but illuminates when the low-beam or high-beam headlights are on. So if you're seeing lights on at the front of the car, but this icon does not appear on the dashboard, then you're looking at DRLs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts