Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 19 forester limited that was built in October. I live in a very hilly area and my lights are set too low most of the time. I reached out to Suburu after I found out about the change in the steering responsive headlights to foresters built after January that gave it a better rating On the headlights by the IIHS. They told me it was a software upgrade that made the adjustment. I asked if I could update the software and they said “Vehicles built after January received a design change or an enhancement to the auto levelizer unit. This change cannot be put in vehicles built prior“. I am kinda disappointed that I have a 2019 that is not as good as other 2019’s built later on. Anyways I went to the dealer and asked them to adjust and they made it seem like they did but I can’t tell the difference and they were not wanting to tell me how to do it myself . I understand they don’t want you To adjust to high and blind people, but I am a do it my self kinda person and would like to know how to adjust. Anybody know how?............

From another post...
they upgraded the 2019 Forester with steering responsive LED headlights (Touring and Limited) to TSP+ though does say "applies only to vehicles built after January 2019".
https://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobileratings/tsps https://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobileratings/subaru/forester-4-door-suv/2019

·
Registered
2019 Forester
16 Posts
My Forester does not have the steering responsive headlights so I can’t go look at mine. But I would look for a Phillips headed screw, Torx, or maybe even an Allen. Usually takes a pretty long Phillips screwdriver to reach the mechanism.

The steering responsive headlights may not even be adjustable which why the dealer “told” you they did it.

I would suggest you return the vehicle to the dealer for the adjustment. If things go sideways with the adjustment, the dealer will know you messed with it. Dealerships typically give a survey for customers who bring their vehicles in for service. These surveys are taking seriously at the dealers I have worked at. If you received one it may be a good way to bring some attention to your issue you are experiencing with your Forester.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Forester does not have the steering responsive headlights so I can’t go look at mine. But I would look for a Phillips headed screw, Torx, or maybe even an Allen. Usually takes a pretty long Phillips screwdriver to reach the mechanism.

The steering responsive headlights may not even be adjustable which why the dealer “told” you they did it.

I would suggest you return the vehicle to the dealer for the adjustment. If things go sideways with the adjustment, the dealer will know you messed with it. Dealerships typically give a survey for customers who bring their vehicles in for service. These surveys are taking seriously at the dealers I have worked at. If you received one it may be a good way to bring some attention to your issue you are experiencing with your Forester.
Thanks, I have been looking for a adjustment screw but only have a plastic dial at the end of a long tube that seems like it’s the right spot, ..but that dial does not seem to change anything .

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
315 Posts
This may help:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...-2019-forester-789253/index3.html#post7469737

I bought a base Forester in October. Does not have the responsive (or whatever the terminology is) headlights, but the adjustment may be the same or similar.

My headlights were aimed way too low to where I could only see about 50 feet ahead and 3 feet up from the ground with low beams. Pitch black above that cutoff line. The dealer adjusted them up - first all the way (TOO high!) and then backed down a little (just right). The adjustment instructions are in my post above.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may help:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...-2019-forester-789253/index3.html#post7469737

I bought a base Forester in October. Does not have the responsive (or whatever the terminology is) headlights, but the adjustment may be the same or similar.

My headlights were aimed way too low to where I could only see about 50 feet ahead and 3 feet up from the ground with low beams. Pitch black above that cutoff line. The dealer adjusted them up - first all the way (TOO high!) and then backed down a little (just right). The adjustment instructions are in my post above.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I actually read that first before posting. And I can located everything but it seems a little differentI on the steering headlight models. Seems like it doesn’t adjust anything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts