Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have purchased a used 2019 impreza 8inch unit head unit to replace my 6.5 inch.
I took it to a local Subaru dealer for the swap. Everything works fine but the car USB port(apple car play USB one) rapidly connects to my phone on and off didn't stay on connected.

Yes, I have tried with other cables and other iPhones and it all had the same problem. Reset my phone and head unit and it still didn't fix the problem.
Went into the dealer again and they tried to update the firmware but the USB port keeps rejecting the USB for some reason.
They were kind enough to replace USB cable to the headunit and also tried with a different USB port for the phone connector.

But the problem has not fixed. Iam really lost from here, the unit wasn't damaged at all and all other functions are working fine.
The funny thing is when they connected android phones it worked fine!

Do you think I just picked up the wrong replacement unit or there's something else I can do about it?

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
174 Posts
Which iPhone models and which iOS versions may help also which cables usb are you using.
Have you tried just Bluetooth although it may not do CarPlay depending on the head unit.
I realize the frustration. This way some of us could offer suggestions. Is the HU newer and kudos to the dealer.
lou cioccio

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which iPhone models and which iOS versions may help also which cables usb are you using.
Have you tried just Bluetooth although it may not do CarPlay depending on the head unit.
I realize the frustration. This way some of us could offer suggestions. Is the HU newer and kudos to the dealer.
lou cioccio
mine is 6s and dealer ones were 10 and 12 with latest iOS but they all having same problem :/
Connecting by Bluetooth works fine. My forester is 2019 build as well. I heard impreza, XV and Forester shares exact same HU?

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
688 Posts
tried with a different USB port for the phone connector.
Do you mean they changed the USB port part that plugs into the back of the head unit? If so, then it seems the unit’s just not liking CarPlay. Don’t know enough about it, but the fact it works with Android Auto I’m not sure if it means CarPlay should work too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mean they changed the USB port part that plugs into the back of the head unit? If so, then it seems the unit’s just not liking CarPlay. Don’t know enough about it, but the fact it works with Android Auto I’m not sure if it means CarPlay should work too.
that is correct, the apple car play works as it shows apple car play connection option between on and off connection

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everything works fine but the car USB port(apple car play USB one) rapidly connects to my phone on and off didn't stay on connected.

Yes, I have tried with other cables and other iPhones and it all had the same problem. Reset my phone and head unit and it still didn't fix the problem.
Went into the dealer again and they tried to update the firmware but the USB port keeps rejecting the USB for some reason.
They were kind enough to replace USB cable to the headunit and also tried with a different USB port for the phone connector.
I have the same issue. I had it with my 2019 Forester, and I have it with my new 2021 Forester. It's incredibly annoying. The dealer started by updating the software, which didn't solve the problem. then they did it again and it still didn't solve the problem. They finally swapped out the head, and the problem actually got worse. I have the same problem with bluetooth, which is equally annoying. If I want to use the phone in the car, I need to disconnect from everything as it will try to reconnect and turn bluetooth off on my phone. Otherwise it goes on for 4 minutes 20 seconds before disconnecting the first time, then connects for 4 seconds and disconnects. Reconnects automatically and disconnects after 4 seconds. It's intermittent and really frustrating. Calling subaru was a waste of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same issue. I had it with my 2019 Forester, and I have it with my new 2021 Forester. It's incredibly annoying. The dealer started by updating the software, which didn't solve the problem. then they did it again and it still didn't solve the problem. They finally swapped out the head, and the problem actually got worse. I have the same problem with bluetooth, which is equally annoying. If I want to use the phone in the car, I need to disconnect from everything as it will try to reconnect and turn bluetooth off on my phone. Otherwise it goes on for 4 minutes 20 seconds before disconnecting the first time, then connects for 4 seconds and disconnects. Reconnects automatically and disconnects after 4 seconds. It's intermittent and really frustrating. Calling subaru was a waste of time.
That sux, Bluetooth worked fine for mine but just the cable connection had problem since it's a 2019 HU I might ask for the replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sux, Bluetooth worked fine for mine but just the cable connection had problem since it's a 2019 HU I might ask for the replacement under warranty.
They've replaced the head on mine under warranty. Subaru is telling the dealer to replace it again. If it works I'll be stunned--I think it's some sort of handshake problem between the phone and the audio regardless of whether it's a bluetooth or wired connection. And it does seem pretty widespread, the dealer by me says he's had a fair number of complaints about the issue.

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
688 Posts
And it does seem pretty widespread, the dealer by me says he's had a fair number of complaints about the issue.
That may be a promising sign. More widespread means maybe a better chance of getting this covered and remedied. But aren't we talking three years worth of models already?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,223 Posts
FWIW, I’ve owned a 19 Touring since it was new, and I’ve never had a single Bluetooth issue with an iPhone X or iPhone 12 Pro. No dropped connections or anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts