Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken this job on yet or have photos of steps to take to install a signal processor/amp to factory head unit. Main thing i need is the colors of the speaker wires in wiring harness. Thanks in advance. Brett

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
646 Posts
I am also interested. I also have the Sport with HK system. I am having a sub installed. I hope to have it done tmo. The shop wired the JL audio amp to the exisiting harness for the HK amp under the passenger seat. They did a nice job of solder splicing the wires, but it was wrapped back up and difficult to see. It seems that they spliced in RCA jacks to the input side of the amp.

I tried to remove the HK 8" monitor, but could not do it. I did not try to hard. I was able to remove the AC controls. Grab from beneath and pull. This is held in with 4 or 6 clip connectors. I was able to run some orange LED accent lighting by tapping into the exisiting blue LED lamp wiring which illuminates the USB port area.

I hope someone beats me to it, but I will likely be exploring some options for stereo upgrades.

Do you have the HK system? It actually sounds pretty damn awesome. Lots of front end bass. I was shocked.

The speaker grills for the dash speakers pop straight up, then slide the grill cover towards you. Nice 2 way 3" speakers located here. I think i am going to replace them. I tried installing some critical mass 3" speakers, but they require lots of power and when I installed just one and compared the sound ot the rightr HK speaker, it was about 1/3 the volume. So, I think the amp power is probably around 30 watts from the HK amp. Just a guess. I may tray someHybrid Audio Unity U3 speakers. These things look pretty awesome for a direct replacement speaker and run on low power.

I will report back in a couple days. I hope you get some more responders. i really want to explore behind the head unit.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
646 Posts
Nope, not me. I am going to upgrade the sound system though. Decided to go with JL Audio amps and Hybrid audio speakers. I started a thread that details the mods and the stereo will be upgraded in sections.

·
Registered
2019 forester base
178 Posts
Took the 2019 base to best buy as they will reinstall the OEM for free when its time to trade/sell.
However, Best Buy does not even have specs to do the job, so they will only do a custom job which I have to pay more for, wires spliced vs. connectors, and I would have to agree not to hole Best Buy responsible if any issues, and they will not replace with OEM until they have info in their data base.
Another downside of buying a brand new model.....live and learn!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which Hybrid Audio speakers are you planning on getting? I was going to install my HAT Clarus components in my 18 Foz, but the speakers were too deep and required cutting. I ended up changing up my speaker choices all together, but I think the HAT Imagine line should fit ok.

I loved the HAT speakers, but they're hard to find with dealers and custom installers. Besides my Clarus and the Imagine lines, I have yet to hear any others in person.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
646 Posts
I am going with the Unity 6x9s for the Front doors and Unity U3 for the dash. Unity is Level III and between the Imagine and Clarus lines. I bought a set of used Legatia for the rear doors, 6.5" for less than anything new from HAT. But, one speaker had a frozen voicecoil. It was risky, so I am just going to buy new. I don't need a nice set for the rear doors, so I will likely go with the Imagine series. I luckily have a local dealer that caries these. Some are in stock, but not all models.

I'll let you know how the fit is.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
646 Posts
So I bought another set of Legatia Carbon SE speakers for $200. This time they are new, but still on ebay. Still pretty cheap compared to a new Unity set which comes with a tweeter combo and I do not need tweeters for twice the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took the 2019 base to best buy as they will reinstall the OEM for free when its time to trade/sell.
However, Best Buy does not even have specs to do the job, so they will only do a custom job which I have to pay more for, wires spliced vs. connectors, and I would have to agree not to hole Best Buy responsible if any issues, and they will not replace with OEM until they have info in their data base.
Another downside of buying a brand new model.....live and learn!
Thanks for saving me a phone call. I think I'll wait until specs are released, then tackle it on my own.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
50 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2019 Limited non-Nav Forester. I definitely will be upgrading the audio. Thank you #sdcerreta for your great info, Unity looks like a good company.

For my general knowledge I'd love to get some more information about the design of the 6 speakers. I'm not clear about the dash corner speakers and door speakers and how they are wired. Does the HU have an internal crossover and send highs (or highs & mids) to the corner dash speakers, and everything below the crossover point to the front door speakers? What's the crossover frequency?

And what about the rear door speakers. Are these full-range drives? (no crossover)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
646 Posts
Well, I do have a few answers to share.

First off, not all the sound systems are the same. I can only speak to the HK upgrade. All the systems are different. So, this information only pertains to the HK supgrade system. Honestly, it is a very good system and I think it is worth the money and most people will love it and not need anything more.

The HK dash speakers contain a 3" midrange and top mounted tweeter. The input wires are contain only two wires. The tweeter hass a passive crossover attached. So, 4 wires come out of the connector to each speaker (mid and tweeter). Not sure where this crossover is set but I imagine the mid is around 2000 and the passive is around 5k.

The front HK 6x9 is a cone only. No other top mounted speaker. Seems to have a bandpass running around 100Hz to 3000 Hz. It is very punchy and I had to work hard tuning my new HAT system to get this punch back. I love it.

The rear door speakers are running full range, but I think there may be a high pass filter on there around 125Hz. These do not get teh same punch as the 6x9s.

Again, the HK amp is very sophisticated and does way more than amplify the car signal. There is a canbus in there too, so many wires and things are happening that is why the shop could not bypass it, but instead used a Rockford 3-Sixty interface DSP module to make everything work correctly and retain all the factory controls. Which was important to me.

I am attaching a wiring diagram for the HK amp. Only the identified wires are on this sheet. There are other wires in the connectors that the shop guys said is part of the canbus and does not affect the sound system directly. If you want more details on my system, I just finished tuning it today. So, you can see some more details on my modz page: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/my-2019-subaru-forester-sport-let-modz-begin-792005/

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
Well I successfully installed an aftermarket radio in my forester without losing any functions and gained a ton of audio eq and audio quality settings. The vehicle settings that were in the radio were duplicates of the ones I could change from the speedometer screen. Heres a link to pictures of the finished product. If anyone is interested in parts I used, hit me up.

https://imgur.com/a/ZU2cug4

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
11 Posts
Definitely looking to replace the 6.5" HU in my premium. Functionality wise I am worried about losing the vehicle settings. Are these all accessible via the speedometer menu as well?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am very interested in which head unit you used as well as which dash kit(your install looks clean) and any add ons needed to keep steering wheel/back up camera use. I tried to go the route of an Audio Control DQ-61 processor with a 5 channel amp and while i was able to get it all wired up the stock head unit does not give a clean enough signal to tune it to acceptable levels(even with all gain off on processor and amp), I get clipping in speakers at a relatively low level. If i can keep most of my steering controls with a aftermarket head unit i will.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
646 Posts
Do you happen to have a link to get these diagrams? I am interested in the 8" LCD HU with HK system.

I am not sure that AC DQ-61 is good enough. I think you may need the unit that comes with PC software. They offer this with the integrated amp. I am using the Fosgate 3.Sixty processor with PC software. In the setup portion it provides instructions for setting the HU input gains. The auto mode does not does work very well. When I use auto-mode it starts to clip at a volume of 15. My local shop told me that this is as high as I should turn up the volume before audible distortion is detected. After playing around with teh unit for a couple weeks, I discovered that you can manually adjust these input levels. So, all I did was turn the volume up to 30 (max is 38) then I played the test track and dialed down the input levels so that there was no red clipping lights for each of the channels. I was then able to turn the volume to 30 before clipping and I also had much more usable control of the volume overall.

Does the DQ-61 provide a test track CD and any clipping lights for you to do the tuning? If so, what is the max volume you can use before detectable distortion is heard.

AC tech support is pretty good from what I hear. You can porbably call them to get advice on the equipment you should purchase for your car and its unique probelms. I started off with the less expensive Fosgate processor and it did not have the feature pack to meet my needs.

I will also add that if you retain the OEM stuff, adding an aftermarket integration system should allow you to retain all the SW controls and other functions.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts