Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Subie Cult LOL
have 19 sport, and the rear speakers have quit working, tried the setting menu to no avail. Any ideas? Where is the amp? Harmon Kardon 9 speaker, 576 watt stereo. Thanks
Mark.

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT Ice Silver Metallic
43 Posts
HK amp is under front passenger seat.

A couple of things to try:
  1. hard reset of the infotainment head unit - press volume button for ~20 seconds. Unit will turn off after 8-10 seconds, then restart.
  2. if hard reset doesn't solve, you can interrupt power to the amp for at least a minute by either:

• Disconnecting the positive (+) cable from the battery or,
  • disconnecting the power connection to the amp. The power plug is the plug closest to the passenger door (it is the smaller of the 2 plugs). You can see and access the amp's plugs from front of the passenger seat. A little easier to access if the passenger seat is pushed back as far as it will go.
Please see this thread that I started 3 months ago when I had same issue:

Dealer first replaced the amp thinking that was the problem. When that didn't help, they replaced the 2 rear speakers and the problem was solved. And still working fine now.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,742 Posts
New to the Subie Cult LOL
have 19 sport, and the rear speakers have quit working, tried the setting menu to no avail. Any ideas? Where is the amp? Harmon Kardon 9 speaker, 576 watt stereo. Thanks
Mark.
I have a 19 Forester Touring. The left rear speaker stopped working after roughly a year. The dealer replaced the speaker...problem resolved.

According to the Service advisor, several 19’s came with defective speakers and there’s a TSB about replacing them. However, I did not see the TSB, but since the new speaker resolved my problem, I saw no need to investigate further...

·
Registered
2019 Forester
18 Posts
I also have problems with rear speakers. First of all died speaker from passenger side. Dealer changed it, but same day “died” rear speaker on driver side... in few days “dead” speaker started play sound again, but it was like a lottery - some days it works perfect, some days it “dead”... and after few month, speaker on passenger side also become dead... again...
So, I think HK have some problems with speakers, ang changing speaker resolve problem only for some time, and then speakers die again :(

·
Registered
2019 Touring Forester CVT
45 Posts
This happened to me this year. I just got 36k miles and they still fixed it under warranty. I have the 2019 Touring. First they said it was the amplifier under the seat. The replacement blew out before they got it out of the shop. They then said it was the head unit, so they replaced that and the rear speakers still didn't work. Finally, they replaced the rear speakers and now everything works.... sort of. I noticed that now in order for the USB media drive with my music on it to play, I have to unplug my iPhone. It only recognizes the USB drive if the phone is unplugged. Is there a setting I'm missing that would enable me to charge the phone and play from the USB drive at the same time?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
395 Posts
That same issue happening to me. It ended up being the HK unit. When I opened the HK AMP unit several components where burned/shorted. The amp was replaced under warranty, and it solved the problem,

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
138 Posts
Same '19 Touring. Both rear speakers went out, asynchronously. Replaced both speakers under warranty. 🤷‍♂️ No other issues, so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same '19 Touring. Both rear speakers went out, asynchronously. Replaced both speakers under warranty. 🤷‍♂️ No other issues, so far.
I just noticed mine not working in the back only after 2 years of having it (sound is too good in front to notice). So i decided to mess arround with sound position today and when putting it to rear everything quites down...gonna have to restart Head unit and see what else can be done. Last thing i want is dealer ripping off panels to replace speakers then ends up causing rattles because they didnt put enough effort to put all in as it should be. Most dealers you know how it is - causes more harm to the car then good.

·
Registered
Subaru Forester Touring 2019 AWD
7 Posts
I just noticed mine not working in the back only after 2 years of having it (sound is too good in front to notice). So i decided to mess arround with sound position today and when putting it to rear everything quites down...gonna have to restart Head unit and see what else can be done. Last thing i want is dealer ripping off panels to replace speakers then ends up causing rattles because they didnt put enough effort to put all in as it should be. Most dealers you know how it is - causes more harm to the car then good.
Did you end up doing anything to yours? I'm no longer under warranty, just realized a few weeks ago. Subaru sent me $350 coupon and I took the car in today and they said they'd have to change the amp and want to charge an extra $400.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you end up doing anything to yours? I'm no longer under warranty, just realized a few weeks ago. Subaru sent me $350 coupon and I took the car in today and they said they'd have to change the amp and want to charge an extra $400.00.
Had to take in couple times, first they ordered new amp...then once thats installed..then ordered speakers. So speakers were bad and also got new amp with it. Was still under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts