Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
383 Posts
Thanks FelineFreddie. Yes, as it turns out, I had to reinstall the update and it seems to be working properly since the reinstall was completed. I just hope it won't require periodic reinstallations.

But thanks again for following up on it.:)
Excellent!

·
Registered
2019 Forester
1 Posts
I just did this update to my 2019 Forester Premium. Worked great performing it exactly as in this post. Thanks a bunch - it will be nice to not have my radio presets disappearing anymore.....
Great job by the original poster bringing us this info....

·
Registered
2019 Base w/EyeSight CVT
36 Posts
In Canada here. I did a drive to the dealership this morning for HK update 19.25.70. Turns out there is no such firmware on the Canada Subaru Service server yet. It confirms that my 18.38.50 version as the current firmware for 2019 Forester. The tech explained it was normal for Canada to get the firmware late and keep checking.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
34 Posts
In Canada here. I did a drive to the dealership this morning for HK update 19.25.70. Turns out there is no such firmware on the Canada Subaru Service server yet. It confirms that my 18.38.50 version as the current firmware for 2019 Forester. The tech explained it was normal for Canada to get the firmware late and keep checking.

I am in Canada and installed the update listed from Post #14...no problem here :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Appreciate the instructions and files posted. Performed the update on Saturday with no issues and the nagging issue i had been experiencing was indeed covered by this update. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
339 Posts
Installed, worked great. Thanks for the advice, now I don't have to wait ~4 months until my next service appointment and don't have to make a special trip.

The waiting for 3 minutes in between cylces was annoying.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Turbo XT
5 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instruction although they did not work for me. Kept getting "USB Authentication was unsuccessful". I checked that the MID grade should match my Canadian imported 2019 sport model but to no avail. Wondering if the update is for North-America only?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
107 Posts
My sport was in for service yesterday at dealer (first free service) I had asked them to do this which they did. They hadn't done it before and had to download etc. Hard to believe that they don't update for any software available for cars - I would think they'd update cars to match latest and avoid problems but ...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
339 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instruction although they did not work for me. Kept getting "USB Authentication was unsuccessful". I checked that the MID grade should match my Canadian imported 2019 sport model but to no avail. Wondering if the update is for North-America only?
maybe try to format the usb drive to fat32 if it’s something else?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My sport was in for service yesterday at dealer (first free service) I had asked them to do this which they did. They hadn't done it before and had to download etc. Hard to believe that they don't update for any software available for cars - I would think they'd update cars to match latest and avoid problems but ...
They won't even offer to do an upgrade unless the customer is complaining or requesting it. Like, any business, they are lazy. They are not going to make more work for themselves during a routine visit. They will do the minimum and address customer concerns. I am often the first at my dealership to report and request complaints/concerns. I read the bulletins too, so I am sure I annoy them. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
309 Posts
@manou What OS or MacOS are you using? Reason I ask is that I first failed at downloading due to exFat for Mac not being recognized by the Headunit. So I used MS-DOS (FAT32) and it worked like a charm. Also make doubly sure you have the correct Firmware Revision file.

Once downloaded, open or unZip the file and only transfer the folder named “update”. install will fail if otherwise as I understand it.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Turbo XT
5 Posts
Yep, I formatted to NTFS per instructions and the error encountered means the SW was successfully accessed but does not match aa an update to the installed version (at least according to my understanding of the PDF). Regarding the version, I used the dropbox one for 8” Forester sport w/o Nav. So looks like I’m stuck for now on previous version.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
34 Posts
Yep, I formatted to NTFS per instructions and the error encountered means the SW was successfully accessed but does not match aa an update to the installed version (at least according to my understanding of the PDF). Regarding the version, I used the dropbox one for 8” Forester sport w/o Nav. So looks like I’m stuck for now on previous version.

Did you download the MID version from Post #14? That is the version I loaded for my Canadian Sports model.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
107 Posts
They won't even offer to do an upgrade unless the customer is complaining or requesting it. Like, any business, they are lazy. They are not going to make more work for themselves during a routine visit. They will do the minimum and address customer concerns. I am often the first at my dealership to report and request complaints/concerns. I read the bulletins too, so I am sure I annoy them. :)
i certainly understand that, to an extent, but at first they seemed totally unaware that a fix even existed. Oh well no one is perfect other than us on this forum

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
84 Posts
@Sdcerreta I got all kinds of nowhere trying to get this. My passwords for My Subaru, Starlink and Subaru maps won't work. When I use forgot password I get an error and contact administrator. Very frustrating. I must be on the no-fly list.
This is Subaru employee login information... They put all the update files behind the Subaru employee login early 2017. See my 2016 head-unit update thread here.

i certainly understand that, to an extent, but at first they seemed totally unaware that a fix even existed. Oh well no one is perfect other than us on this forum
No point in a dealership wasting time on software for something nobody requests unless they see it on this forum. Their POV is that it is such a small portion of the Subaru Forester population that does the research so why waste time on it when they could be doing other work? It's more the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" idea. I'm guessing this is why Subaru Corporate put the update files behind the employee login. So that it would be more hoops for the average Forester owner to find out about (and consequently make things more time-efficient at the dealerships). Remember that dealerships profit based on techs doing the rated jobs in less time than they are allotted (i.e. a "30 minute cabin air filter replacement" done in 1 minute).

61 - 80 of 92 Posts