Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Much more varied in
Answered My own question. Turns out that I had a bad USB drive. The drive would authenticate and let me start the install but then shows a black screen and flashing hard buttons. I switched to a different USB drive in the install was a success. When it’s installing you were supposed to get status updates if everything is working well. Many thanks to the OP!
I'm glad you solved it. I was scared for you. Sounded like the black screen of death, but I think Subaru anticipates us to be idiots.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Question. Does Harman Kardon make all of the head units for the 2018 Foresters? From reading the Forester sales brochure I was under the impression that HK only made the optional 8-speaker head unit but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Okay, so the 2018 line-up is more varied. Clarion, Harman and DT made head units depending on the model and display.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined the forum to say thanks Sdcerreta for taking the time to post the update for our cars.

Worked perfectly. Just got a new Forester Sport and was bummed about the lost address book bug.

Lets hope this solved it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sdcerreta - thanks so much! These files are very, very helpful to the forum members and save us so much time to avoid a dealer visit. I am very appreciative that you shared with the community!

·
Registered
100 Posts
In 2019, Harman made all the head unit models except for the 2019 BRZ 6.2" display which is made by Clarion.

This is according to the service bulletin.
Sorry but I am confused with the listings for the Forester. The item 86201SJ630 is listed for the Touring however the description and image do not indicate that this is a Navigation HU. Where as item 86271SJ600 does indicate that it is a Navigation System and shows the "MAP" button.

And if you search the Subaru part number 86271SJ600 on https://parts.subaru.com it even indicates that the Premium trim level gets Navigation.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be trying this later tonight.

FYI from the service manual:

"If an attempt is made to install the wrong “grade” file into the wrong grade head unit (EXAMPLE: “Base” update file into a “Base Plus or Mid” or “High” head unit), the USB Authentication error screen below will be displayed."

Gives some peace of mind if we happen to grab the wrong file.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey folks, not sure if you are all aware, but there was a new software update released last week. You can follow the instructions on the bulletin to download the file from Subarunet.com. Appendix A details all the updates for this software version.

Be sure to download the correct file. There is one for Gen 3.1 Base (4 speaker), Mid (Premium 6 speaker) and High (HK 9 speaker).

I downloaded tonight and will upload and try it out in the morning.

Attaching bulletin.
How awesome! Thanks for the links and files on your dropbox. I have the 'High' version ('19 Forester Touring) and it worked flawlessly.

I did not lose any of my nav settings, favorites, contacts or programmed radio channels. Android Auto works same as before. Contrary to the instructions, I had updated the maps in my nav last week and it did NOT include the software update, only the maps. So, everything went perfectly.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curious if anyone with the 19.01.70 or 19.17.70 revisions installed this update? The documentation says there's no need for it if you're on one of these revisions on a vehicle other than '19 OB/Legacy. My head unit is running 19.01.70.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the mid option with the six speaker larger screen and I can say that I was slightly surprised to have improved low-volume listening. I have the fosgate update, it at times was a little bass heavy for real low volume before the update I don't recall reading about a change in this, but it absolutely sounds like they tweaked something. It still sounds great at mid to high volume, no change. 6spkr w/ the Rockford update.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm curious if anyone with the 19.01.70 or 19.17.70 revisions installed this update? The documentation says there's no need for it if you're on one of these revisions on a vehicle other than '19 OB/Legacy. My head unit is running 19.01.70.
I had 19.01.70 and did this update. I have the NAV unit so there was also a map update as part of this. Plus 19.01.70 was pulled by SOA so when the new version came out I wanted to update to eliminate any issues however based on the docs posted here the Forester was not involved with switch functionality issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A question gentlemen, I have a 2019 Touring. Will the system update itself? I ask because I remember seeing automatic update being an option.

TIA

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had 19.01.70 and did this update. I have the NAV unit so there was also a map update as part of this. Plus 19.01.70 was pulled by SOA so when the new version came out I wanted to update to eliminate any issues however based on the docs posted here the Forester was not involved with switch functionality issue.
Thanks. I went ahead and updated it. Success!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
28 Participants
FelineFreddie
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing