Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, not sure if you are all aware, but there was a new software update released last week. You can follow the instructions on the bulletin to download the file from Subarunet.com. Appendix A details all the updates for this software version.

Be sure to download the correct file. There is one for Gen 3.1 Base (4 speaker), Mid (Premium 6 speaker) and High (HK 9 speaker).

I downloaded tonight and will upload and try it out in the morning.

Attaching bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
@Sdcerreta I got all kinds of nowhere trying to get this. My passwords for My Subaru, Starlink and Subaru maps won't work. When I use forgot password I get an error and contact administrator. Very frustrating. I must be on the no-fly list.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously I am an idiot. I have the HK system so naturally I assumed I had the HIGH system. Luckily, I kept getting the "USB Authentification was Unsuccessful" error message. Subaru was smart not to trust me and built in a saftey feature. No black screen of death from installing the wrong version, even though I tried to do it about 10 times.

I am still trying to get this uploaded. Once done I will report back and share some additional details to help out others download and install the correct file type.

Once somebody figures out how to create an account on subaru.net, please share it! I thought for sure you could create and use the account details from mysubaru.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
@Sdcerreta I got all kinds of nowhere trying to get this. My passwords for My Subaru, Starlink and Subaru maps won't work. When I use forgot password I get an error and contact administrator. Very frustrating. I must be on the no-fly list.
Same here. I'll have to request the update on my next service visit.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, it worked. Here is a quick summary of the upload. I followed instructions exactly. I did not have any of the errors described in Steps 5-8. It all went smooth.

Once the correct file was used on the flash drive I received this message.

This is my favorite. I doubt this message appears in Japan versions. US lawyers want to make sure my wife won't sue them if I kill myself trying to make an update. :D

I bought this car in Nov 18 and had the original software version.

Success! After this message you have to contiue with several hard reboots as described in steps 6-9.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to take a moment to describe the three file types available. I found this information a bit confusing and if you do not take the time to read and understan the bulletin, then you may end up using the wrong file type, like I tried to do.

There are three files:
Base
Base+ / Mid (This file is the same for either system type as described below)
High

System Types:
Base: 6.5" display. Features: 4 speaker system and No CD slot on head unit. Trim: Base level
Base+: 6.5" display. Features: 6 speaker system with CD player slot. Trim: Base, Premium, Sport
Mid: 8" display. Features: 6 speakers or HK system. No Navi. Phone Button under display. Trim: Sport, Limited
High: 8" display. Features: 6 speakers or HK system. Navi unit. Map button under display. Trim: Limited, Touring.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried loading the file, but the forum does not recognize the file type. If you are having trouble, send me a PM with the file you need and I am happy to share it.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are three files:
Base
Base+ / Mid (This file is the same for either system type as described below)
High

System Types:
Base: 6.5" display. Features: 4 speaker system and No CD slot on head unit. Trim: Base level
Base+: 6.5" display. Features: 6 speaker system with CD player slot. Trim: Base, Premium, Sport
Mid: 8" display. Features: 6 speakers or HK system. No Navi. Phone Button under display. Trim: Sport, Limited
High: 8" display. Features: 6 speakers or HK system. Navi unit. Map button under display. Trim: Limited, Touring.
Let's see if this works. These are the Zip files that you can download from my Dropbox. These are exactly what you get from subarunet. Once downloaded continue on with STEP 3 instructions. Those can be found on post #1.

Files:
BASE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0oiac4jsqier5f/Rel_UE.19.22.70_NAFTA_BASE_PRODUCTION.SystemOnly.zip?dl=0

MID: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ndfpviu08w830n/Rel_UE.19.22.70_NAFTA_MID_PRODUCTION.SystemOnly.zip?dl=0

HIGH: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0ochceu6f4fwid/Rel_UE.19.22.70_NAFTA_HIGH_PRODUCTION.SystemOnly.zip?dl=0

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks @Sdcerreta ! Used your drop box files and instructions - worked like a charm! Dealer says they always check for updates when I bring the car in. Just had it in a few weeks ago. Looks like they missed this one.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Question. Does Harman Kardon make all of the head units for the 2018 Foresters? From reading the Forester sales brochure I was under the impression that HK only made the optional 8-speaker head unit but perhaps I'm mistaken.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question. Does Harman Kardon make all of the head units for the 2018 Foresters? From reading the Forester sales brochure I was under the impression that HK only made the optional 8-speaker head unit but perhaps I'm mistaken.
In 2019, Harman made all the head unit models except for the 2019 BRZ 6.2" display which is made by Clarion.

This is according to the service bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Answered My own question. Turns out that I had a bad USB drive. The drive would authenticate and let me start the install but then shows a black screen and flashing hard buttons. I switched to a different USB drive in the install was a success. When it’s installing you were supposed to get status updates if everything is working well. Many thanks to the OP!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
28 Participants
FelineFreddie
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing