Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and sorry if this was brought up on this board already but…..I bought a new 2019 forester premium last weekend and been driving it around all week and noticed something that I did not notice in the test drive. The highway driving is fine and I don’t hear this during this type driving. Its just say your city driving or even going thru a parking lot, when you are slowing down (foot not on gas) and it downshift at like 100rpms it’s a hard type down shift. Kinda jerks the SUV a bit. Granted I never owned a Subaru or a all wheel drive car before. I was maybe thinking its because it’s a AWD vehicle. I doubt anything is wrong, Might be just how these suv’s shift. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine does the same thing. As I coast to a stop, and pass through 15 mph, the vehicle jolts a bit forward. After speaking with a service person at Subaru, this is apparently common with the CVT in the Forester's.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
8 Posts
I think its software cause mine does samething on "intelligent" mode but "fake shifts" fine when I put into "sport" drive mode...

Its annoying though... Love everything else about the car except that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
If it feels like a shove or lurch around 15mph I think it is pretty common and feel lit almost every time. I only have 1600 miles on mine and was going to see if it got better. There was another thread on here somewhere that talked about it too.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
270 Posts
+1 on torque converter locks and unlocks ...
i stop noticing it ~6000 mi not sure if i just got use to it ...

·
Registered
35 Posts
hello my friend
if you suffering from jerking / Clunck during down shift bewtween 40-30 km/h and hestiation acceleration around city because the air goes to engine throw air filter not enough so you can reduce it by 85% by using K&N Filter as I did in our Subaru forester 2019 and the acceleration became smoother and faster from 0-60km I really suprised and happy. The clunck happed becuase of 4WD system and thats happen before in our hyundai santa fe 2014 AWD, the problem was fixed by update after 2 years of waiting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and sorry if this was brought up on this board already but…..I bought a new 2019 forester premium last weekend and been driving it around all week and noticed something that I did not notice in the test drive. The highway driving is fine and I don’t hear this during this type driving. Its just say your city driving or even going thru a parking lot, when you are slowing down (foot not on gas) and it downshift at like 100rpms it’s a hard type down shift. Kinda jerks the SUV a bit. Granted I never owned a Subaru or a all wheel drive car before. I was maybe thinking its because it’s a AWD vehicle. I doubt anything is wrong, Might be just how these suv’s shift. Thanks!
This was THE first thing I noticed about my new 19’ (bought less than 400 miles ago) and is what caused me to find this forum on the internet.
I typed in a google search for “Forester jerks forward at 15mph” and found this place.

In fact, my first post here was describing the same issue.
092D9FEB-A357-41BB-9A7C-53FBC1064EBD.jpeg
As others have said, it’s a strange quirk of the CVT. I came from a 09’ Nissan Altima, which model year either had a buttery smooth CVT, or it crapped out before 115K. Mine was buttery smooth so I was really surprised by the Subaru’s CVT jerkiness.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
141 Posts
Irish, I’ve posted about this on the drivetrain sub forum. I’d bet the posters re the toque unlock are correct...er mostly. What I can also say though is that my 2017 never demonstrated this problem, hence I am guessing that something has been changed either in the hardware or the software controlling the CVT. I’ve written to SOA on June 24 without a response. Called SOA and they acknowledged my letter but offered zero in the way of explanation. I had a Nav system problem on the 17, which I went to SOA about and got the same non-treatment. I concluded that SOA is not staffed with the expertise to handle tech issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello my friend
if you suffering from jerking / Clunck during down shift bewtween 40-30 km/h and hestiation acceleration around city because the air goes to engine throw air filter not enough so you can reduce it by 85% by using K&N Filter as I did in our Subaru forester 2019 and the acceleration became smoother and faster from 0-60km I really suprised and happy. The clunck happed becuase of 4WD system and thats happen before in our hyundai santa fe 2014 AWD, the problem was fixed by update after 2 years of waiting.
My apologies for digging up an old thread but I have been having trouble with the transmission jerk in my 2020. Can you please say more about the K&N filter solution? I'm thinking about trying this.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,916 Posts
@WhalesTales note that @lancer3000gt last signed onto the forum 3 months ago. You could send the member a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. The member is optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts