Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone new to the site new to Subaru. I have a 2019 its a week old today, there is something wrong with the tracking of the vehicle on a strait highway it will not stay in its lane weather or not the lane keep assist is on. it drifts to the right most of the time at highway speed but do get the occasional left. on surface streets it will either go right or left any body else having these issues. please and thank you in advance

Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
First off check your tires, then verify the correct pressure as per manufacturer specifications.
It is not unheard-of the alignment could be off a hair but most likely it is the Electronic Steering Assist. The vehicles now- a- days have not just power steering but added electronic design so there is not much of true feedback to the driver. I will tell you it nothing really wrong with the vehicle just you are not really use to the new feel. The vehicle is point and shoot so a little correction from the driver give very quick response. In time it will be a non issue once you become accustom to the steering.

BTW :Welcome to the the Subaru Family and to the forum. :Banane29:

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tire pressure is good. it veers with out any input from me. since it is a new vehicle I was seeing how the lane keep assist works. open highway no traffic took my hands off the wheel to see how well it tracked. Short answer is it doesn't. Straight flat stretch of highway and it will not stay in its lane. the 13 yr old scion I traded in would run down the same stretch of high for miles with out so much as a slight veer

Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
First people should not drive a vehicle without the hands on the wheel. Subaru is Driver Assist not Driver independent.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Registered
2019 Forester CVT
2019 Forester Premium. No issues with tracking with or without lane departure warning or lane keep assist on or off. The two are independent from each other. One is a beep and dash light only (departure warning) when crossing the paint stripes, the other will lightly tug (assist) on the steering wheel that happens a few milliseconds before the beep goes off.

I've learned the Subaru lane assist does nothing to center the car in the lane, it just bumps lightly off the paint stripes but only if you approach the edges gently. Honestly I don't like it, it changes the tactile feedback in the steering wheel and I've just learned to make sure its off. It was excessively annoying when on partially slush covered roads. The system would mistake tire tracks with paint stripes and kept tugging on the steering wheel at inappropriate times. When coupled with the actual pulling normal for slush, it was not pleasant with the car fighting me even though the wheel tug was not overly forceful.

All that being said, I do like to experiment when things are safe to do so. My car flashes a warning to keep your hands on the wheel if you remove them for more than about 15 seconds. This is just the base Premium not the Limited so no Drive Focus system on our car. I didn't try this with every combination of lane departure warning and lane keep assist on but I tried to touch the wheel lightly enough to see if I could find the threshold and it's really low. One finger on the wheel is enough for the car to recognize my steering inputs.

Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
tire pressure is good. it veers with out any input from me. since it is a new vehicle I was seeing how the lane keep assist works. open highway no traffic took my hands off the wheel to see how well it tracked. Short answer is it doesn't. Straight flat stretch of highway and it will not stay in its lane. the 13 yr old scion I traded in would run down the same stretch of high for miles with out so much as a slight veer
I have previous generation Forester and it didn't track straight even when new. My alignment was off on new vehicle so I would recommend you to check it. First time should be free
Even with alignment within spec, it never tracks very well and it is probably my only major letdown with Forester.

Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
These cars blow around with the slightest of winds and with the relative softness of the bushings, if the car gets blown around you end up having to compensate with steering corrections. I'm hopeful control arm bushing replacements may help some here.

Registered
2019 Touring
Coming from a 2002 Infinity QX4 SUV I find that the Forester very sensitive to the road and requires very limited input. It did take me several 1,000 miles to get over the different feel. Now it is becoming normal.

Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
It is common to have the alignment out of spec on a new vehicle. Most likely due to transport from the port to the dealer. Take it back and have the alignment checked. This should be done on the presale prep but not every dealer does.

Registered
2019 White Forester, Replaced a 2009 Forester
These cars blow around with the slightest of winds and with the relative softness of the bushings, if the car gets blown around you end up having to compensate with steering corrections. I'm hopeful control arm bushing replacements may help some here.
Scooby24, I know that this is an old post, but my 2019 got blown around as I was driving from California to New Orleans. I thought it was the tires. Our 2009 had same experience in 2013 on similar trip. Please explain what about control arm bushings? You suggested that stiffer bushings would help. Have you learned that they will? I would love for my 2019 to track without fighting side wind. It was blowing hard at times. Just out of Needles California I stopped for a break and almost lost the door.

Registered
2019 Forester CVT
My 2019 Limited tracks the same way. All too frequent steering corrections are required while traveling on a straight road. My daughter's 2015 Limited however tracks very well.

Registered
Subaru Forester 2006 X
Assuming these are level and straight roads your on... Get your tyres rotated and get them to check the alignment, i guarantee its out or your tyres are causing it to pull.

Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
Scooby24, I know that this is an old post, but my 2019 got blown around as I was driving from California to New Orleans. I thought it was the tires. Our 2009 had same experience in 2013 on similar trip. Please explain what about control arm bushings? You suggested that stiffer bushings would help. Have you learned that they will? I would love for my 2019 to track without fighting side wind. It was blowing hard at times. Just out of Needles California I stopped for a break and almost lost the door.
They did help. The feeling is a result of the body moving enough relative to the suspension to force it slightly out of alignment which causes a pulling feeling. The more you stiffen up all those components with flex, the less pulling you'll experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts