Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 - Got my radio replaced - wifi question?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  carlobasta 
#1 ·
Both Android auto and BT suck on the Forester. BT started acting up worse, so the dealer replaced the head unit. Not much better. In addition, due to the poor quality plastics and the mechanic, a number of surfaces near the radio were scratched up during the replacement. Argh@!
AA besides being hobbled if you are a Google apps client, also drops the connection about every 15 minutes. Browsing through your library with BT is a fail 99% of the time.
Other weird bugs: sound only out of right rear speaker (and very quiet) sometimes; must turn ignition off/on to fix.
Recent releases of AA now work over wifi, but do you think Subaru (through there supplier) would supply a firmware update for that?

#2 · (Edited)
I always thought that Japan made great stereos, until I saw the Forester. My 24 year old S10 pickup and 11 year old Kia Sportage put it to shame.
I agree with the Android Auto & Bluetooth issues. We're on our 2nd stereo in a 6 month old Forester. In addition to everything else, the replacement smelled to high heaven; cheap plastic. We had to leave the new car, sitting in the garage with the windows open for 3 days, while it snowed outside.

#3 ·
I had always thought that Japan made great stereos, until I saw the Forester. My 24 year old S10 pickup and 11 year old Kia Sportage put it to shame.
I agree with the Android Auto & Bluetooth issues. We're on our 2nd stereo in a 6 month old Forester. In addition to everything else, the replacement smelled to high heaven; cheap plastic. We had to leave the new car, sitting in the garage with the windows open for 3 days, while it snowed outside.
Hmmm... I’m guessing you must have had a different factory radio that the one I had in my 2002 S-10 pickup. I generally just abide with whatever radio that comes in the vehicle, but that was one I replaced with a unit I purchased from Crutchfield...

#6 · (Edited)
The 1996 S10 & 2002 are different. The 96 has the optional cassette player.
I also have a 43 year old Chrysler with a better stereo. It has the optional 8-track.
Back then the speakers were in the dash, & rear deck, ceiling or c-pillar, somewhere near our ears. Car manufacturers later decided that people heard better with their ankles.

-The Subaru is a lease car. I'm not buying a new radio for the next owner.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.