Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I last brought my 2019 Forester Touring into the dealer at 12,837 miles. The service tech noted on my bill that doing a "Fuel Injection System Cleaning" @ $170 was recommended on my next visit, which is coming up. I couldn't find this procedure at least in the normal maintenance schedule booklet. It does say "Fuel system,lines and connections" at 30K miles, but without specifying what is to be done and I am only approaching 18K miles now. Is this normal? Is it likely legit? Or are they just trying to pad their service dept revenues?

I definitely don't want to skip any necessary maintenance tasks on this Direct-Injection engine on a new car, but I equally fervently don't want to be fleeced if they're just trying to take advantage of me. On the fence...

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
500 Posts
Subaru says 30,000 miles or 48,000 km. Stick to that. The dealer is just trying to make extra money

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
294 Posts
Direct injection might need a walnut blasting. TheShopCT in Stratford does the service. Tell’em Adrian with the forester sent ya.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,589 Posts
Run a quality fuel injector cleaner every oil change to combat the additional carbon buildup injectors in DI experience as opposed to port injectors.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
433 Posts
The dealer is trying to make $170 sale to you for something you don't need. Fuel injection cleaning is not mentioned at all in the USA owner manual. You may never need your injectors cleaned. No reason to do it unless you're having problems.

If you are using gasoline with ethanol in it (and most of us are), note that ethanol is an excellent cleaner.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
500 Posts
Direct injection might need a walnut blasting. TheShopCT in Stratford does the service. Tell’em Adrian with the forester sent ya.
Please explain why you think a one year old vehicle with low mileage might require ''walnut blasting''? How would that service the fuel injectors? I feel like telling the original poster to go and say Adrian is paying to have your intake manifold removed and cleaned... why not have the complete exhaust replaced at the same time. I am sorry but that is some of the worst and least thought through advice I have ever seen on a forum.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,027 Posts
Run a quality fuel injector cleaner every oil change to combat the additional carbon buildup injectors in DI experience as opposed to port injectors.
If you are talking about a cleaner you add to a tank of fuel, a fuel additive will not combat carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves on a direct-injection engine..
For those with port-injection engines, using Top Tier detergent gasoline will eliminate the need to run a fuel injector cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Fuel injection system cleaning is not related to the intake valves with reference to DI. DI suffers from two different unique issues as a result of moving the injectors to the combustion chamber. One is the injectors themselves are prone to carbon buildup because the injector tips are now introduced to the combustion chamber and Top Tier fuel additives, alone, are often not capable of breaking up injector buildup to the degree they are able to on a port injection car, which is where an in tank cleaner at regular intervals can help supplement and curb the buildup and the related symptoms of dirty injectors. This a separate issue from intake valve carbon buildup as a result of not having fuel spraying over them to keep them clean.

Please don't conflate the two as both need remediation and preventative maintenance on DI vehicles. Several manufacturers with DI engines are introducing fuel injector cleaner at every oil change as a maintenance item requirement (eg: Hyundai, Kia at least)

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
The buildup is not at the injectors but rather ‘behind’ the valves as the there nothing to remove it on DI engines while in port injected engines you’ll have gas spraying cleaning the valves.
It's at BOTH.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
500 Posts
What vehicle is that off of, and at what kind of mileage? That is ridiculous. Injectors on a 2005 Nissan that I replaced with 150,000 miles this summer were far better than that. In fact they actually needed neither replacing or cleaning, but I had bought them already.
I don't know about you but I am rather angry that car manufacturers in the pursuit of very small mileage gains are adding fairly expensive maintenance services. If you keep your vehicle 10 years, for example, are you really expected to pay another 1700 in servicing expenses just for this? Maybe its environmentally desirable but the economics suck big time. Bit like how the CVT will improve your gas mileage but it also increases your servicing costs compared to older style 4AT ones. Or going to 0w20 oil that gives you a really minor increase in gas mileage compared to 5w30, but what you save on gas you need to spend on oil...

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
That's off a Nissan Juke, 75k miles and according to the owner top tier gasoline was being used while they owned the car (bought used). Owner was having misfire problems and had to pull injectors for cleaning. Flow testing showed a problem with one of the injectors that was resolved with cleaning off the vehicle which is many times more effective than running fuel cleaners through them....however preventative maintenance may have prevented a problem with relatively low mileage. Owner has come to the same conclusion and is planning on running injector cleaner every oil change.

It's cheap, easy, and can save a lot of money/headache down the road.

But don't neglect intake valve cleaning either.

PS: My next car is going to be electric.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,027 Posts
I don't know about you but I am rather angry that car manufacturers in the pursuit of very small mileage gains are adding fairly expensive maintenance services.
Agree, but I blame it on upcoming, overly aggressive CAFE standards.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Running fuel injector cleaner often is not necessary and not advised. Not only does it not touch the valves, it is also spray at several thousand PSI, which means it has almost zero time to clean the injector itself.

And you also run the risk of raising the alcohol content higher which could lead to injector seal issues in the long term.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's off a Nissan Juke, 75k miles and according to the owner top tier gasoline was being used while they owned the car (bought used). Owner was having misfire problems and had to pull injectors for cleaning. Flow testing showed a problem with one of the injectors that was resolved with cleaning off the vehicle which is many times more effective than running fuel cleaners through them....however preventative maintenance may have prevented a problem with relatively low mileage. Owner has come to the same conclusion and is planning on running injector cleaner every oil change.

It's cheap, easy, and can save a lot of money/headache down the road.

But don't neglect intake valve cleaning either.

PS: My next car is going to be electric.
The pictures in that post don't really show a clogged injector though. Build up around the injector maybe, but not on the spray orifices.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Did you not see the flow chart? Let me help you with that.

I'm a little befuddled by your comment about not necessary and not advised....by...whom exactly?

And....zero time to clean the injector? You know the injector doesn't like...spray for a split second and then stop spraying...right? The PEA is in constant contact with the injectors while they are running and while it is in the tank of fuel constantly running through it.

wow.

As always, be cautious about who you trust on the internet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm coming from the GM and specially we were told by the GM Performance team that running fuel injector cleaners was not helpful on the 2,000+PSI systems.

For the reasons I stated above. Contact time and raising alcohol levels long term.

My understanding was that your post was about removing the injectors and having them cleaned, verse the Topic of running cleaners in the system at various maintenance intervals. Which is what I thought this thread was about.

Again, fuel injector cleaners typically do nothing in DI systems.

Higher detergent gasoline is a better way to clean the system. Not paying the dealer hundreds to drop snake juice in the tank.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
500 Posts
Re removing them to clean them is what I understood to be the best. For my particular X trail, the cost to have them properly cleaned and to replace the gaskets was higher than buying 4 new beck/arnley one's on clearance, which proved to be the OE part.
I am curious, given that level of carbon showing up on the injector tip, what is the long term prognosis for that engine?

And, darn CAFE standards while well-intentioned are going to have the unintended consequence of shortening the economically effective life of many vehicles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re removing them to clean them is what I understood to be the best. For my particular X trail, the cost to have them properly cleaned and to replace the gaskets was higher than buying 4 new beck/arnley one's on clearance, which proved to be the OE part.
I am curious, given that level of carbon showing up on the injector tip, what is the long term prognosis for that engine?

And, darn CAFE standards while well-intentioned are going to have the unintended consequence of shortening the economically effective life of many vehicles.
Yeah the GM engines were the same way. You could buy a whole new rail and seals for cheaper than sending them off.

We were lucky enough that the V8 injectors works on the I4 cars and could swap to bigger injectors easily. I doubt the Ascent injectors are bolt ins on the 2.5 engines. One can only hope.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,157 Posts
Or going to 0w20 oil that gives you a really minor increase in gas mileage compared to 5w30, but what you save on gas you need to spend on oil...
And sending those quarts of burnt motor oil fumes into the atmosphere…
That makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts