Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
@CzechFozz I bought the pins from mouser.com. I'm sure there would be a european equivalent. I used 24 awg wires. Not sure what the metric conversion for that is.

These were the things that I used to build the harness. You will need a crimping tool for it as well

I picked up RCA adapters and i think 2.1mm power adapter to hook it up to the camera.

I'm more or less giving up on it for now. Maybe someone will find this info useful. I might still be able to build people harnesses but I would be able to test them. I'd probably charge around 70 dollars just because its a custom process.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes, there is the EU version of mouser.com ;)

basically you built something like:

Connector from car (male)
<>​
T-split (female)
<>​
T-split (male)<>MFD (female)
+ wires for all
pins coming
from the car side
>^​
^​
Camera
video
wires (pin 2+3)
Camera
power wires
(pin 1+4)

I'm more or less giving up on it for now. Maybe someone will find this info useful. I might still be able to build people harnesses but I would be able to test them. I'd probably charge around 70 dollars just because its a custom process.
well, at this point could be worth to connect to pin 24...

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes, there is the EU version of mouser.com ;)

basically you built something like:

Connector from car (male)
<>​
T-split (female)
<>​
T-split (male)<>MFD (female)
+ wires for all
pins coming
from the car side
>^​
^​
Camera
video
wires (pin 2+3)
Camera
power wires
(pin 1+4)

well, at this point could be worth to connect to pin 24...
Thank you sir. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
@CzechFozz I bought the pins from mouser.com. I'm sure there would be a european equivalent. I used 24 awg wires. Not sure what the metric conversion for that is.

These were the things that I used to build the harness. You will need a crimping tool for it as well

I picked up RCA adapters and i think 2.1mm power adapter to hook it up to the camera.

Dude, shoot me an paypal. Will gladly send you 70 bucks + shipping, if you prepare me one of this harnesses for EU Fozz.

·
Registered
78 Posts

So is the only thing you are missing right now a 12V source? I think we have verified the most important part and that is the fact the software exists (and isn't locked out) that allows this to work. If we can get the right parts/connections it should work.

If I do end up getting a forester in the next 2 months I think I'll probably try my hand at this. I should be able to stand on your shoulders here. Hopefully get OEM parts and not have to worry about the power issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@zachavm I was speaking with one of the members here in a private chat. They were able to tap into the 23 pin for 12 volt power for. the camera. they were also able to run that power into pin 5 to turn on the camera via switch. This is a different mechanism than the 1/4 pins. This setting doesn't have the guidelines and will only power the camera while the button is held down (so a switch is probably a better idea). Neither one of us were able to get the factory pin power (1 and 4 or 6 and 9) to work on the American MFD as expected, but this looks like a doable work around. I'll continue to update you through proxy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
that is a real strange behavior for US MFDs. I mean, it seems that, since in US is not foreseen neither the side camera, nor the front one, then MFD has these two "+" pins not enabled by default (positive supply for the front and side camera, respectively 1 and 6), no matter whether the camera is detected.
Hope that for EU ones, wherein the side camera is there in all the trims, that from pin 1 we can get the 6V as expected once we use the "View" button on the center console.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
263 Posts
it looks like they skipped on hardware on (US) MDF board, pins 1,6 are GND but pins 4 and 9 unused also pins 13 and 14(button) also unused
on normal fully working MDF pins 4,9 expected to be 6V and pins 13,14 expected to be @3V (just like pin 15 right now)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
263 Posts
@subidriver now days running extra "sku" in mass production cost very little to nothing
after all if I understand correctly its the only unit to have to have A/C support and its in Fahrenheit

i know Ascent Touring and Ascent Limited have same MDF and have power at pin 4 and Touring comes with front camera , but it got no "A/C support " on MDF .. and i was not able get in to "diagnostic mode " on Ascent..

·
Registered
81 Posts
uh ok ...
side note: what do you mean with "A/C support on the MDF"?
For EUDM we have on the MFD the fan speed, left and right temperature as well as air direction (windscreen, front, feet) shown on the MFD. It is shown even bigger when changing one of these parameters. Do you mean that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Digging in drive2.ru found this very interesting thread https://www.drive2.ru/l/523181993307934787/ pics and questions are very useful for EUDM models which already have the side view camera. Many other threads also available, just use your browser translate feature!

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk
Nice catch mate (y)
(btw this seems to be the manual for the multimedia interface: BE2831 Automotive Infotainment Unit with Bluetooth/WLAN User Manual G31_Manual_Part1 Harman Industries, .)

So recalling the connector scheme:

Since for the EUDM (and at this point for the Russian market as well) there is only the side camera foreseen, they have only pin 14 (camera switch 1) connected and not also pin 13 too (camera switch 2). In the EU dashboard there is only the "View" button at this point connected to pin 14.

On the other hand, e.g. for the Chinese market, there are 2 distinct camera switches called "F. View" and "S. View". I had the opportunity to see them live, since in Subaru Europe imported some cars from China as show cars right before the launch. As far as I remember, there was no way to have both front and side camera shown on the MFD, but
  • you press the "S. View" button --> you get only the side camera on the MFD
  • you press the "F. View" button --> you get only the front camera on the MFD
Therefore, the MFD logic can be explained IMHO as:
  • if pin 14 connected (camera switch 1, typical for EU and RU, connected to the "View" button on the dashboard), then
    • gonna give power to pin 8 (camera 1 power supply) when the "view" button is pressed
    • if pins 1 and/or 2 are connected as well (respectively NTSC B GND and NTSC B image-), then when the "View" button on the dashboard is pressed (pin 14), the MFD loops on
      1. side camera
      2. side+front cameras,
      3. front camera
      4. off
    • if pins 1 and/or 2 are not connected (typical for EU and RU), then the MFD loops on
      1. front camera
      2. off
  • if pin 13 (camera switch 2) is connected as well, then
    • gonna give power to pin 4 (camera 2 power supply) as well
    • at this point, I would expect that the "View" button (pin 14, camera switch 1) does not have the same behavior as above, that is it will not loop on side camera, side+front camera, front camera, off
    • therefore I would expect that pin 14 will drive only the side camera on the MFD, while pin 13 will drive only the front one on the MFD, like for the Chinese market as explained above
The key difference at this point is IMHO pin 13: if it is connected, then the power to pin 4 is granted, else middle finger, no matter whether you connected pin 2 (NTSC B image-).

Anyway, the Russian approach seems to be
  • pins 1, 2 and 3: connect the front camera respectively gnd, image- and image+
  • pin 4: leave it disconnected
  • pin 6, 7, 8 and 9: connect the side camera, as is coming out of the factory
  • pin 9: connect there the front camera power supply as well
The only question mark on my side is the camera consumption. According to the schema above, pin 9 (and 4) can have at most 150 mA as output. What is the power consumption of both cameras when they are both on?

Reactions: foxbat

·
Registered
81 Posts
@InnocentSmith (y)
The only interesting part in the link was - pin 4 did not have power too... But they already have working pin 14(button).. so no problem activating it
well, except I got it wrong, it seems they are pissed since pin 4 has no power at all, despite having the "view" button (pin 14) for the side camera.

·
Registered
81 Posts

This is the EU MFD configuration (with side camera and driver monitoring syste). From left to right, top to bottom:
  • CAN: connected
  • +B: connected
  • USB: not connected
  • ignition: connected
  • camera1: connected
  • control button (what the hell is that!?): not connected
  • camera 2: not connected

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice catch mate (y)
(btw this seems to be the manual for the multimedia interface: BE2831 Automotive Infotainment Unit with Bluetooth/WLAN User Manual G31_Manual_Part1 Harman Industries, .)

So recalling the connector scheme:

Since for the EUDM (and at this point for the Russian market as well) there is only the side camera foreseen, they have only pin 14 (camera switch 1) connected and not also pin 13 too (camera switch 2). In the EU dashboard there is only the "View" button at this point connected to pin 14.

On the other hand, e.g. for the Chinese market, there are 2 distinct camera switches called "F. View" and "S. View". I had the opportunity to see them live, since in Subaru Europe imported some cars from China as show cars right before the launch. As far as I remember, there was no way to have both front and side camera shown on the MFD, but
  • you press the "S. View" button --> you get only the side camera on the MFD
  • you press the "F. View" button --> you get only the front camera on the MFD
Therefore, the MFD logic can be explained IMHO as:
  • if pin 14 connected (camera switch 1, typical for EU and RU, connected to the "View" button on the dashboard), then
    • gonna give power to pin 8 (camera 1 power supply) when the "view" button is pressed
    • if pins 1 and/or 2 are connected as well (respectively NTSC B GND and NTSC B image-), then when the "View" button on the dashboard is pressed (pin 14), the MFD loops on
      1. side camera
      2. side+front cameras,
      3. front camera
      4. off
    • if pins 1 and/or 2 are not connected (typical for EU and RU), then the MFD loops on
      1. front camera
      2. off
  • if pin 13 (camera switch 2) is connected as well, then
    • gonna give power to pin 4 (camera 2 power supply) as well
    • at this point, I would expect that the "View" button (pin 14, camera switch 1) does not have the same behavior as above, that is it will not loop on side camera, side+front camera, front camera, off
    • therefore I would expect that pin 14 will drive only the side camera on the MFD, while pin 13 will drive only the front one on the MFD, like for the Chinese market as explained above
The key difference at this point is IMHO pin 13: if it is connected, then the power to pin 4 is granted, else middle finger, no matter whether you connected pin 2 (NTSC B image-).

Anyway, the Russian approach seems to be
  • pins 1, 2 and 3: connect the front camera respectively gnd, image- and image+
  • pin 4: leave it disconnected
  • pin 6, 7, 8 and 9: connect the side camera, as is coming out of the factory
  • pin 9: connect there the front camera power supply as well
The only question mark on my side is the camera consumption. According to the schema above, pin 9 (and 4) can have at most 150 mA as output. What is the power consumption of both cameras when they are both on?
I quote myself. These statements above related to the logic do not hold.
Australian mode have both side and front cameras, but still one button "View" on the dashboard like for EUDM: 2019 Subaru Forester review – 2.5i & 2.5i Premium (video) | PerformanceDrive
Details:

Then probably pin 4 can be enabled via SSM. In fact here for Australian market, we can see that the icon for the front camera is shown (see bottom right):

161 - 180 of 201 Posts