Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts

So here is the pin out for the American version of the MFD. What you are seeing is the following:
Pin 15: Green (MFD SW+)
Pin 19: White (CAN-H)
Pin 20: Black (CAN-L)
Pin 21: Black (Ground)
Pin 23: Red (Ignition Power Supply)
Pin 24: Yellow (Battery Power Supply)

I connected my wiring harness and was able to get the diagnosis menu to detect the camera through pins 2 and pin 3, the only bad part is I was not getting power through pin 1 and pin 4 to power the camera.
1606105927544.jpeg

The resulting screen during front view monitoring adjustment was this (black screen cause no power)

I was able to hook the camera up to external power and get it running just to trouble shoot.

I double checked that pin 1 and 4 had connectivity from end to end using a voltmeter. Then I tested for power using a voltmeter and noticed I wasn't getting any. This led me to think about the following.

It seems that the display itself gets power from pins 23 and 24. This seems like enough power for the screen but thats about it.
Then I looked at the wiring diagram label again. I looked at pin 5. It made me wonder if that pin is the pin that carries power from the wiring harness to the MFD for the camera, then the camera goes about pushing it out through pin 4 to the camera.

Long story short, American models might not have the power support for the camera. I'm going to research the european pictures to see what their pin out looks like. If anyone has a picture of the pin out of an mfd plug from a forester I'd love to see it. I'm going to go look at the previous posts cause I remember some from those.
@subidriver @zachavm @InnocentSmith @denissh @CzechFozz

·
Registered
44 Posts
@privatepublic99 In relation to the previous post. Do you think that I should be getting power for the cameras from some place else?

From this diagram it looks like I should have all the power I need from pin 23 and 24 (top of the image) but it look like the colors for camera power and ground change half way (bottom left of the image)

·
Registered
81 Posts
@foxbat Nice analysis.
I did not get the difference between pin 4 and 5 though.

On the other hand, I can tell you that all EUDM have the side camera connected as "first camera" on the MFD. Then, based on the trim, the driver monitoring system (DMS for short). AFAIK, in no EU countries there is the option to have the front camera.

I have not (yet) the change to take a picture of the MFD connector unfortunately

Reactions: foxbat

·
Registered
44 Posts
@subidriver
I have some pictures that detail how to take the MFD apart so I can help with that. It is relatively easy. Getting a look at the EU version of the wires could help me. Hopefully @InnocentSmith has some pictures too. I saw the russian guy directed people to attach power to pin 9, that (according to the diagrams) is the power pin for the side view, but the russian vehicle already has a side view monitor. So in theory that pin should have already been taken so maybe I need to use pin 9 as power instead.

As far as the front camera it did show up as Camera 2 and I left the settings of NTSC A/B as unused as you mentioned in your previous post. So that part is consistent.

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
55 Posts
I did not use an OEM camera, it required 12V so I connected it to a different ignition circuit that functionally is the same as the one going to pin 23 and left the 6V MFD output unused. Did you measure both pins 4 and 9 for 6V, or just pin 4?

·
Registered
81 Posts
@subidriver
I have some pictures that detail how to take the MFD apart so I can help with that. It is relatively easy. Getting a look at the EU version of the wires could help me.
this would help, definitely (y)

I saw the russian guy directed people to attach power to pin 9, that (according to the diagrams) is the power pin for the side view, but the russian vehicle already has a side view monitor. So in theory that pin should have already been taken so maybe I need to use pin 9 as power instead.

As far as the front camera it did show up as Camera 2 and I left the settings of NTSC A/B as unused as you mentioned in your previous post. So that part is consistent.
I think the MFD of the russian guy, according to his photo, has a different connector. As far as I remember, the connector of his car has 20 pins, while "ours" is 24 pins. I don't know whether it is related to the DMS availability (foreseen for EUDM and trim-based). Try to give a look please (probably 2nd page), a couple of eyes more can help ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just checked 4. The camera I used worked with 12v attached but was advertised on the Chinese website as working with 6v as well(don’t really trust them). Could I combine 4 and 9 to get the 12v I need?

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
103 Posts
@subidriver
I have some pictures that detail how to take the MFD apart so I can help with that. It is relatively easy. Getting a look at the EU version of the wires could help me. Hopefully @InnocentSmith has some pictures too. I saw the russian guy directed people to attach power to pin 9, that (according to the diagrams) is the power pin for the side view, but the russian vehicle already has a side view monitor. So in theory that pin should have already been taken so maybe I need to use pin 9 as power instead.

Yes I can check mine in a couple of days! Do you have a link to the steps to get to the back of the MFD?

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
@InnocentSmith @subidriver

I would recommend prying the bottom of the AC vents and not the top.

When it comes to removing this part grab in on both ends and pull straight back toward yourself. Do not wiggle it like the guy did in the video. If you are lucky you will get that piece along with the flat piece infront of the MFD to come off as one piece. If you only got the front piece to come out, you will have to tie string to the holes of the flat piece and pull straight toward yourself.

From there. there are two screws that you need to un do. Then you would pull the whole MFD screen and hood straight up. Be careful because the mfd cord is short. If you have the driver monitoring system there will also be a cable for that that you need to disconnect.

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
55 Posts
I just checked 4. The camera I used worked with 12v attached but was advertised on the Chinese website as working with 6v as well(don’t really trust them). Could I combine 4 and 9 to get the 12v I need?
No you would need to tap it to pin 23 or a different ignition circuit, the 6V pins cannot be combined (each pin could be activated separately via a solid-state switch but are likely sourced from the same regulator).

·
Registered
44 Posts
@privatepublic99
Yeah that makes sense to me, and I was thinking of doing that. I just don't know why I wasn't getting any power out of pin 4 or 9. I was using a multimeter to test those pins and I double checked that my line was good end to end. The ground for pin 4 I couldn't even get a closed circuit between it and its ground. I was able to get a closed circuit on pin 9 but no power through it. Do you think there is a setting to prevent the MFD from supplying power to the cameras that needs to be changed somehow?

I was going. to go and try to find the post for the wrx. I wonder if they were able. to pull power from the MFD or if they had to tap into power from somewhere else.

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
55 Posts
The newer MFDs seem to be much more complex so it could be a disabled setting but I wouldn't know where to look unfortunately. The ground side could be logic-controlled too, but between testing with the positive leg to pins 4 or 9 and negative to pins 1, 6, or 21, if none of these combinations work then I suspect it is buried in a menu somewhere.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
103 Posts
So here is a pic of another user here in South America with the side camera. Looks like it has 24 pins.

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm sorry I have not been able to dig into things to provide any assistance. However, I am very encouraged by your results. My biggest concern here was that the software would lock you out from being able to interface with the camera. That appears to not be the case and therefore this seems completely possible if the right setup can be deduced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So, on the connector photo above:
  • pin 15: let's forget it, it is related to the "info" button on the steering wheel
  • pin 14: according to the pinout, it is called "Camera switch 1" (side camera) and is there in that connector
  • pin 13: according to the pinout, it is called "Camera switch 2" (front camera) and is not there in that connector; this should be there, AFAIK, only in middle east markets, where there are 2 distinct buttons called "S. View" and "F. View"
@foxbat: when you connected your front camera, where you able to loop through all the cameras using the "View" button on the dashboard? To which pin did you connect it? 13 (side camera) or 14 (front camera)?
Furthermore, how did you manage to deal with the cables coming from the camera? I mean, as far as I can see, the video signal is on an RCA connector :cautious:

·
Registered
44 Posts
@subidriver

I do not have the button view button installed. I wanted to get the camera to work reliably first so there was no cycling through cameras. My T harness just added pins 1-4 for the front camera. I soldered the wires to an RCA video connector for the camera. I was going to add 14 once I got the cameras working and run it to the view button. I was just able to see that the diagnosis mode was able to detect the camera, and I was able to bring up the configuration menu for moving the guidance lines. I even tried putting the car in reverse and then into drive to see if I could trigger the automatic front camera switch but it didn't work, even with the external power.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
263 Posts
No you can NOT..

For test,
connect camera to TV use 4 battery like CR2032 3V and see is if 6V(2x3V) can power up camera or not, if its not on try 4X3V ...
if camera need 12V you will need to find 12v with ignition on (pin 23 ?) or temporary you can use pin 24

141 - 160 of 201 Posts