263 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
followed by the argument from other saying they got no power on pin 4
yet they not trying to check if they have same MDF
we have 2 in US
85261SJ110 and 85261SJ310 changed mid MY2020
oh well, for at least EUDM (and probably this applies to Russia and Middle East) there are plenty of MFDs based on the "destination" (you can find it on the VIN plate attached at the bottom of the B-pillar)

Reactions: foxbat

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
263 Posts
well...

its 170(210) Front Degrees camera by NATIKA
180 maybe better ...

I made timer so it comes on in reverse and stays on (for 10 seconds) after you take it out of reverse ...
Switch is just ON /OFF at any time.

I am using PIN5 to turn it On/Off (I don't see any other way to turn it ON in US cars )
, with pin 5 you don't get Subaru grid lines , so I am using grid from camera itself

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
55 Posts
Nice work @denissh - apparently these US-specific mfds have the same logic as the old 2014-18 MFDs (constant positive signal to an input pin to trigger the camera view). Did you modify the View switch or use a relay/logic board to convert it from momentary to on/off?

·
Registered
263 Posts
@privatepublic99

on/off rear gate switch is only $9, relay/logic board cost more ...

just swap tops between switches

wires and connectors I think end up most expensive parts of the build ...

i did experiment with timers to power it of gear selector or back up light (for 10 second)

final version is "simple" :) capacitor...

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
103 Posts
Wow, impressive! But I'm lost, I'm no electronics geek. If I get the 6v cam from Ali, for the Forester model which already has the side view monitor, and the 24 pin MFD connector, what else do I need to make the connections and have the front monitor work with the existing side view button? I guess I'm asking for the "for dummies" version of this thread at this point. I'm thinking of going into the Russian forums and ask around via Google translate at this point :D

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow, impressive! But I'm lost, I'm no electronics geek. If I get the 6v cam from Ali, for the Forester model which already has the side view monitor, and the 24 pin MFD connector, what else do I need to make the connections and have the front monitor work with the existing side view button? I guess I'm asking for the "for dummies" version of this thread at this point. I'm thinking of going into the Russian forums and ask around via Google translate at this point :D

if you have side view camera already , all you need is connect pins 1,2,3,4 if you don't have power on on pin 4 you connect pins 1,2,3,9

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes according to Russian forums it all works with the existing side view button
you can just add resistor 75-100omh between pin 2 and 3 , it will think you have camera pugged in and you can see how it all works

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you end up wiring it to the harness, denissh? Been a lot of back-and-forth on this, so interested to hear definitively from someone in a USDM Forester how to get a front camera working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
pins
1 -GND
2-VIDEO-
3-VIDEO+
5-Switch ON/OFF to +12V (activates MFD sceen) (pin 5 to 23 or any other +12v)
23- 12V camera power

·
Registered
2019 Sport
19 Posts
@privatepublic99

on/off rear gate switch is only $9, relay/logic board cost more ...

just swap tops between switches
View attachment 545956

wires and connectors I think end up most expensive parts of the build ...
View attachment 545957

i did experiment with timers to power it of gear selector or back up light (for 10 second)
View attachment 545958

final version is "simple" :) capacitor...
View attachment 545959

Can you provide the part numbers for the 2 different switches?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've read just about all of this and want to make sure i understand, so my question is: are we saying that this "simple" mod will only work if you have the side view cameras? So for a USDM vehicle, like my Sport, which does not have side view cameras, can I, or can't i do all the stuff that was done by denissh?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm very interested in this, and have been doing a lot of reading through this and some of the other threads. My first challenge is parts. I'd like to stick to OEM Subaru parts for the complicated stuff, on the theory it is more likely to work together.

The "View" switch (button) that goes in the center console, above the seat heater switches, appears to be Subaru P/N 83211AN00A. That is titled "Electronic Parking Brake Control Switch" but I strongly suspect that is just wrong. It has description/subtitle "Switch Center Console. Switch ECO CMR. CAMERA." -- center console and camera, that's what we want. It is listed as callout 83243B for the diagram. The diagram shows 83243B labeled as "CAMERA SW", and in the form factor and position for the "View" switch on an Outback.

The associated wiring harness (for the switch) is P/N 81870AN50A. Callout 81870F in the same diagram. It's got a few other connectors on it, plus the upstream connector for whatever it goes to. This is for an Outback, so prolly not terribly useful for Forester owners, but it might be useful to salvage connectors from if needed.

Now, the biggie is of course the camera. I found several parts available in the US market, but all for other model cars. I was also given the P/N for what appears to be the front camera for the Forester in the Japanese market, but it's not sold by SOA.

86357AN000Legacy/Outback 2020
86357VA010WRX/STI 2018-2020
86357FL100Crosstrek 2020
86357XC000Ascent 2019-2020
86357SJ000Forester (non-US market)

I'm unsure which might be the best choice for my project. Will any of the other US model cameras fit the Forester? I'm told no. Maybe I should try an overseas order of the JDM camera?

At some point I may swing by the local Subaru dealer and see if I can take a peek at the grilles for those models. Maybe I can find a concurrence for the Forester and one of the US models with a camera.

I'm still in the early stages of this project, for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Switch Assembly Eco Cmr (camera)83211an00a

Lift Gate Switch 83002al18a

i just used switch connector of it 81870an50a

@DragonHawk

none of the cameras you listed will fit forester
Subaru of Canada got one for Forester now , but its 6v and we have no 6v on US MFD
camera from
aliexpress item 33052193858 model > SonyCCD 180deg is the one i used

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I keep to my "use Subaru parts whenever possible" plan, I can always get a 12V/6V DC/DC converter. I'm not doing any of this until it warms up around here (no garage), so I have time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If I keep to my "use Subaru parts whenever possible" plan, I can always get a 12V/6V DC/DC converter. I'm not doing any of this until it warms up around here (no garage), so I have time.
I also like "use Subaru parts whenever possible " but spending extra $300+ , and end up with camera you still have to modify to connect and no grid lines , add 6V DC converter.. its not like any of it is plug and play

·
Registered
92 Posts
I never said it would be cheap. :) I can certainly understand not wanting to pay for that, and fully respect those who find cheaper ways -- often very ingenious ways, too.

Are the grid lines generated by the cameras? I always assumed they were added by the display electronics.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
103 Posts
I'm very interested in this, and have been doing a lot of reading through this and some of the other threads. My first challenge is parts. I'd like to stick to OEM Subaru parts for the complicated stuff, on the theory it is more likely to work together.

The "View" switch (button) that goes in the center console, above the seat heater switches, appears to be Subaru P/N 83211AN00A. That is titled "Electronic Parking Brake Control Switch" but I strongly suspect that is just wrong. It has description/subtitle "Switch Center Console. Switch ECO CMR. CAMERA." -- center console and camera, that's what we want. It is listed as callout 83243B for the diagram. The diagram shows 83243B labeled as "CAMERA SW", and in the form factor and position for the "View" switch on an Outback.

The associated wiring harness (for the switch) is P/N 81870AN50A. Callout 81870F in the same diagram. It's got a few other connectors on it, plus the upstream connector for whatever it goes to. This is for an Outback, so prolly not terribly useful for Forester owners, but it might be useful to salvage connectors from if needed.

Now, the biggie is of course the camera. I've seen several suggestions, and found some other possibilities. Here is everything I found, and what it's listed as fitting. All are show being fitted to the center of the grille in their diagrams.

86357AN000Legacy/Outback 2020
86357VA010WRX/STI 2018-2020
86357FL100Crosstrek 2020
86357XC000Ascent 2019-2020

I'm unsure which might be the best fit for a Forester, or if there is even a difference.

At some point I may swing by the local Subaru dealer and see if I can take a peek at the grilles for those models. I'm still in the early stages of this project, for me.
Looks like for the Japanese market the camera is part 86357sj000. It does look like it has a custom connector though, so it will need adapting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ohhh, good catch. I've read through this thread three times and still didn't see that. Thanks. I'll edit my post to add that.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts