Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching the 2019 Forester, and decided to check out the complaints here: 2019 SUBARU FORESTER

Majority of people have a complaint about the windshield cracking easily.

Have any of you heard anything about this? I've done a search on here and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,429 Posts
They have been having so many issues since 2017, the time they altered windshields for weight and allegedly eyesight.

They are complete hot garbage

·
Registered
2019 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is really concerning. I've read that some have even had their replacements break within days, and that the replacements are backordered.

I'm assuming everyone is required to pay out of pocket (or through insurance) unless Subaru will admit it's a problem on their end?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,429 Posts
I had a 2017xt that failed 3 times in under a year. So 4 in total. The windshields are 1800 Canadian ... covered by insurance

My 2018 xt has lots of chips...3 I have had repaired/resined to prevent cracks.

1800 ... and backordered total garbage.

They are laughable ... and Subaru knows it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 2017xt that failed 3 times in under a year. So 4 in total. The windshields are 1800 Canadian ... covered by insurance

My 2018 xt has lots of chips...3 I have had repaired/resined to prevent cracks.

1800 ... and backordered total garbage.

They are laughable ... and Subaru knows it.
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad your insurance covered you though.

My insurance deductible is $500 for glass damage and I'm not sure if filing a claim would raise the cost of my insurance or not. I'm thinking about contacting them to ask.

Maybe there is some kind of third-party windshield insurance that will work too.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,319 Posts
My 2018 windshield cracked when SafeLite tried to repair a very small starburst.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe there is some kind of third-party windshield insurance that will work too.
At the time of purchase, the dealership offered coverage through a 3rd party. I think I remember it being just under $800 and maybe it was a 5-year plan. My auto policy covers glass at a $100 deductible for replacement. I passed on what the dealer offered but now I’m having second thoughts. One claim on my auto won’t raise the rates but I know a certain number of them for any reason within a 3-year period will due to higher risk.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
16 Posts
After further reviewing this subject, I live in TX so we do have to pay deductible for windshield replacements, and unfortunately my windshield doesn't have a separate deductible just for windshields so i'd be paying my comprehensive deductible. If this is likely - I'm now thinking I should purchase the 3rd party windshield warranty the dealership offered me. (I just purchased my vehicle 5 days ago on 5/9/19).

·
Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,275 Posts
my sis just got a new windshield replaced on her 2019. Got a rock chip in it, and it seemed like the crack grew pretty big as I recall her telling me. She waited about a week I think it was to get a new one.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
16 Posts
my sis just got a new windshield replaced on her 2019. Got a rock chip in it, and it seemed like the crack grew pretty big as I recall her telling me. She waited about a week I think it was to get a new one.
How much did she have to pay for a replacement if you don't mind sharing?

I'm getting a 5 year warranty (Crystal Fusion/Innovative Aftermarket Systems) for $399 and debating if this is worth it. I figured if 1 claim/replacement is covered by that it's worth the investment.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At the time of purchase, the dealership offered coverage through a 3rd party. I think I remember it being just under $800 and maybe it was a 5-year plan. My auto policy covers glass at a $100 deductible for replacement. I passed on what the dealer offered but now I’m having second thoughts. One claim on my auto won’t raise the rates but I know a certain number of them for any reason within a 3-year period will due to higher risk.
Do you know if that covered replacements? There is a dealer in my area and they offer something similar, but it won't cover a replacement, it'll just cover a repair.
After further reviewing this subject, I live in TX so we do have to pay deductible for windshield replacements, and unfortunately my windshield doesn't have a separate deductible just for windshields so i'd be paying my comprehensive deductible. If this is likely - I'm now thinking I should purchase the 3rd party windshield warranty the dealership offered me. (I just purchased my vehicle 5 days ago on 5/9/19).
Do you know if that will cover replacements? There is a dealer in my area and they offer something similar, but it won't cover a replacement, it'll just cover a repair.

I'm looking to see if there is some kind of plan that will cover replacements.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,452 Posts
Have over 16K miles on my 19 Sport and have been hit by more than my fair share of rocks and I do have a few chips in the glass but the windshield has held up well. No cracks and haven't had to have it replaced. My insurance replaces windshields at a $0 deductible. I think the Subaru windshield cracking issue is a bit overblown IMPO. Not saying people aren't having issues but I think that's with any car you buy today.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't. However, I just reached out via email to the woman at the dealership who finalized my paperwork and discussed the coverage. My guess is she'll respond soon and I'll have details to share at that point.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,452 Posts
Why would you need additional coverage if your auto policy covers windshields either at a $0 or $50 deductible? Typically those policies and just huge money makers for the dealers and not a good deal for consumers. You may want to call you insurance company as to get a zero deductible on glass, the cost was negligible and a no brainer. I do not believe that glass claims impact your annualized auto rates.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I do not believe that glass claims impact your annualized auto rates.
I've had an insurance company tell me that a no fault claim will not impact my rates. Then after making a couple claims for glass or vandalism over a few years, my rates went up. When I inquired, and specifically mentioned being told my rates wouldn't go up due to each claim, they said it was the total number of claims I had made regardless of the nature. That situation has me a little cautious of relying on my auto policy for expensive glass claims. I replaced 2 windshields in the past 12 months on my other rig. With those experiences and the stories of delicate Subaru glass, I'm a little worried. Regarding the coverage the dealer was trying to sell me on, it included more than just glass. There was paintless dent removal and I believe some other benefits. I definitely was not sold at the time of vehicle delivery and still am leaning towards NOT making the commitment.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts