Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone please guide me some clarity which one to decide sport vs limited vs touring.
Touring is all upgraded, I am little unsure which one needs to buy.

What is the best price can quote from dealer for touring vs sport? I am new to this subaru family.

Please let me knw if anything needs to be checked before buying the forestor.

Thanks,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Originally I was looking at the Sport on a lease, and it looks cool - but instead I think I'm leaning towards the Limited. The lease is over $30/month cheaper with all or MORE of the features that the Sport has except for the cosmetic orange highlighting and black rims & grille. I can live with that and save $1000+ over the lease. Or pay the same as the Sport and get a Touring.

Sport seems to be focused on the "fun factor" to replace the XT which was discontinued. I'd suggest using a TrueCar type of website to at least get your toe in the water and feel out the pricing.

When I shop I usually use TC first to get a reference point, and I e-mail all the dealerships in x miles around me. Everyone that rights back gets put into competition with each other and when the prices kind of come out the same, I go wherever there's inventory and test drive and usually buy there. I probably don't get the best deal in town, but I'm okay with that. It's relatively painless for me without getting too involved.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
I can't give any great advice but can comment on some of our decision making. From the Sport trim up, you get both X modes, the larger brake rotors, 18" wheels. The Sport has paddle shifters (and then so does the Touring) That should help under the worst driving conditions. I wanted those features but didn't want to overspend for other features. Poor hearing so extra spending on audio systems wasn't desired. Didn't want leather trim, power liftgate. So we didn't load it up. If you do, then the upper trims may make more sense than the Sport.

When it comes to cosmetics, I don't mind the Sport orange trim, probably wouldn't have added it on it's own (especially the interior) but I like the black treatment on the Sport exterior. I really like the Dark Blue Pearl, Sport only, that's what we got. OTOH, the green and red offered in the nonSports were popular win the family, too, so, color may drive some choices.

·
Registered
2013 X premium auto
74 Posts
Seems like it’s mainly whether you like the orange accents or would rather have dual climate and a couple other features the sport doesn’t have. Basically just look at Subaru’s comparison chart and decide for yourself what’s most important to you.

·
Registered
1998 Camry
2 Posts
To add to this question, I am in need of a new vehicle and I believe the forester is right for me (I have taken a few out for a test drive and have been a passenger in a number of friends' foresters). I am a wildlife biologist so I spend part of my life living in a town/city not driving very much and part of my life driving out to trailheads on varying degrees of quality dirt roads. I have a few questions as well about the real world differences between the models in terms of its ability to handle mud/rocks/etc. I don't plan on doing any crazy off-roading but I certainly hope to use my new car to travel down roads I would not dare take a sedan (even the beat up old one I have been driving) and something that is safer to drive in the snow up and down mountain roads. Can you set any of the trim levels to 1st or 2nd gear (or something equivalent) when going down hill or can you only do this with the higher trim levels that have paddles? Should I really splurge and get a higher level trim for the x-mode (and is the new version better than the old found on the premium level)? I really don't care about any of the other features like better technology/safety features or leather seats. I am just looking forward to driving a vehicle that can comfortably/safely get me out to trailheads that I usually have to borrow a vehicle to do and be a good overall snow ready vehicle (which I know based on driving older models in the winter, has been great).

Thank you very much,

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,452 Posts
Everything you want is available in the SPORT. If you want more "premium" features, than the Limited/Touring would be it but it sounds like the SPORT is the perfect fit what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
I had simular questions before I purchased a few weeks ago, but for me the deciding factor was the leather interior. I preferred the Sport, but since I could not get it with leather, I opted for the Touring model.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
I believe all of the trims, except the base, have the X-drive which includes down hill descent control, the Sport on up have the added X-drive mode for more severe mud/snow conditions and the larger brake rotors. The Sport and Touring have the paddle shifters. Otherwise, between trims, the differences are not "functional" in the sense of how the vehicles drives on/off road. So, agreed, the Sport is the least expensive model with the full set of on/off road driving features. You might want to check the option packages to see about winter related features as well. I think but am not sure that most of them are available on all trims (except for some of the rear seat environmentals?).

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had simular questions before I purchased a few weeks ago, but for me the deciding factor was the leather interior. I preferred the Sport, but since I could not get it with leather, I opted for the Touring model.
Leather should never be the deciding factor since you can easily get Katzkin installed for around $1000 and not pay for a bunch of features you don't need.

It's quality stuff. Wife wanted a Manual when we bought the Legacy and the premium with cloth was the highest trim you could get with a manual but no leather.

Had Katzkin installed for 1k. It's been 7 years and still looks great.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,452 Posts
You can always have leather installed in any vehicle and it's typically better and cheaper so don't ever let something not having leather stop you if you like a certain vehicle better than another:wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts