Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I was looking at the 2019 Forester Sport. I configured it up on the website and the MSRP on it is around $34k.

Currently driving a 2011 Outback 2.5 Limited that I want to upgrade within the next 6 months before the car is dq'd from the GTP (have until April 2019), and also looking to unload it before the timing belt service and new tires which will be in another 12 months. Also would like to get myself into a Subie with ACC/EyeSight.

I haven't driven a Forester yet, so I'm going to get down to the local dealer and do it. Before the Forester Sport, I was really looking at the new Ascent. I can't wait for the 2020 Outback to come out - since by that time I'll be out of the GTP and have to do the TB/Tires mentioned above. It ends up being around a $6000 swing between the difference in GTP value, the cost of tires, and "thorough" TB service.

Some of the things on the Ascent I really like, and was hoping someone could confirm they do or do not exist on the 2019 Forester:

1. Does the keyless (push-start) remote start still kill the engine on door opening? The Ascent does NOT do this any more, and I find that a great feature.

2. Do you think that the Turbo will make its way back into the Forester going forward? I don't mind the idea of a car with more pep, but I'm pretty content with my 2.5 Outback right now - sure, it revs up a little high when I'm merging, but I expect it to.

3. Does the 33 mpg highway seem accurate? My Outback gets around 25ish mixed with moderate highway use right now. In the winter I'm happy to break 20 mpg.

4. How's the comfort compare to the Outback? I remember the Foz was kind of built on the Impreza frame so the Outback was a little more comfortable and refined in comparison.

Basically, my next ride I wanted to have EyeSight (mostly for ACC), LED headlights/DRL's, CarPlay, and a fun drive. Looks like the Foz checks all those boxes - just curious between the Sport model and the Limited/Touring. Seems like the only difference between the two is the SI S# mode vs a regular SI mode?

Thanks,
Pilot

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Just so you know, the GTP is nothing great and you can, typically, do much better than what the GTP tells you your car is worth. I have received thousands more from my Suby dealer on past trades as it relates to GTP.

To answer your questions:

1. Haven't tried this on my 19 Sport
2. Maybe but not likely in the near future
3. Yes, the mileage is accurate but based on driving style, outdoor temperature and terrain
4. The 19 Forester is far more comfortable than the old body style as the seats have been redesigned (subjective but my 2 cents) - go out for a test drive

The 19 Forester is NOTHING like the 17-18 platform so you can't compare the past to the present...built on the new Global Platform that will find its way into the Outback in 2020.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just so you know, the GTP is nothing great and you can, typically, do much better than what the GTP tells you your car is worth. I have received thousands more from my Suby dealer on past trades as it relates to GTP.

To answer your questions:
Thanks. For reference, you need the separate remote push-start module, separate from the Starlink one that comes with the car... so you need the second fob.

In the Ascent, you can use the Starlink app with the built-in remote start without the separate fob and module - but you need to have the Starlink Plus subscription. \

In my experience, the KBB value of my car is about 6500-7000, whereas the GTP has me up around 10,000.

Obviously without the GTP factored in, I'd have a little more time, since I'm at about 92k on the clock. I'd probably have a year, maybe 18 months, before I'd be due for the 105k timing belt service, then.

If you have the separate module, can you please try checking to see if the engine kills at door opening?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my 2019 touring, the engine does not stop when the door is opened after remote start. This is an awesome feature. You do still need to press the start button before you can take the car out of park.
That's awesome. That's what I was looking for. I imagine that all the Subies will have this going forward. It seems to be tied to the push-start models and only if your car can also be remote started via the StarLink app.

SI Sport Sharp vs. regular Sport is just like the older models, right? harder downshifting, likes to stay in gear better? My 09 Legacy 2.5 had Sport mode, that was pretty fun to fool around in.

Not having GTP "time constraints" is pretty fun, so I would have more time to play around with to see if the 2020 Outback looks fun or not. My wife has a third-row SUV, and I do like being up a little higher.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
41 Posts
Nope - opening the door does not shut off the motor, regardless of whether or not remote start is used.

As for fuel economy, I'm still in my 1000-mile break-in period, so I'm only on my third tank of gas. But my first two measurements have been pretty close to what the trip computer says. I'm seeing about 27.5 MPG in mostly city / suburban driving.

Because I'm still in the break-in period, I've been avoiding long stretches of steady-speed interstate driving. Fortunately, I-83 between York and Baltimore is hilly and heavily congested, which means I can't hold a steady RPM for more than 30 seconds. Today I drove to Baltimore and back, and despite the hills and traffic surges, the trip computer put me at 32.1 MPG. I won't know how accurate that is until I get a few thousand more miles on the car, but based on my first two fill-ups, I would say that 33 MPG is a realistic expectation for interstate travel -- especially if you've got long flat stretches with little traffic.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Thanks. For reference, you need the separate remote push-start module, separate from the Starlink one that comes with the car... so you need the second fob.

In the Ascent, you can use the Starlink app with the built-in remote start without the separate fob and module - but you need to have the Starlink Plus subscription.
In the 19 Forester, you do not need a separate remote start module and fob. Everything is done through the Starlink app and you can get deals like I did which was $75 for a there year subscription so it's a no-brainer:thumbsup:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the 19 Forester, you do not need a separate remote start module and fob. Everything is done through the Starlink app and you can get deals like I did which was $75 for a there year subscription so it's a no-brainer:thumbsup:
Well, I imagine it's the same as the Ascent. If you want to use the long-range fob or standard keyless fob INSTEAD of the Starlink app/webpage, you'd need the remote module.

You're right - it's about $75 for a three year subscription to Starlink Plus, but after that it does get more expensive since the promotional part is on the basic Starlink package - the Plus is what's extra.

Renewal prices for Starlink Security Plus which you need for the remote start are about $15/month, $150/year, or $300/3 years.

While you certainly get other features with Starlink, like the locator, assistance, etc., if your main reason is because of the remote start, it's better in the long run to invest the ~450 into it at time of purchase and have it configured with the remote module. Then, you can either use the keyless fob or you can use the long-range second fob to start your car.

For me, I have to figure out if the rear cargo area is big enough for what I'm hoping to haul around. I coach soccer, so that means at a minimum I have a bag of around 8-10 soccer balls and a few other bags/gear with me. It's not a problem in my Outback now, but I believe the Outback is slightly bigger/longer back there whereas the Foz is taller.

For me the big thing was to make sure the engine didn't cut like it does on my Outback (and pre-2019 models) because it drives me bonkers.

I do absolutely love how there's LED lights everywhere on the Foz (Sport) that I'm looking at, including the flood light around the cargo area. I'd have to think pretty hard about giving up the comforts of my Limited that I'm used to - because I could consider something like a Foz Touring or Limited - and I'd have to really think about how much I'd be using the Sport Sharp mode unique to the Sport. Does the non-sport models have an option to do Sport Mode vs. just "i" mode?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Outback with rear seats folded = 73.3 cubic feet of cargo

Forester with rear seats folded = 70.9 cubic feet of cargo

Difference is 2.4 cubic feet...not really that significant in vehicles with over 70 cubic feet of cargo space. If you are hell bent on an Outback, wait until 2020 when it transitions to the Global Platform and receives all of the electronics upgrades and the remote start should operate as does the Ascent and Forester. Your call but I love the Forester and not a big wagon fan.

Moreover, there will always be deals on StarLink renewals so don't sweat over that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The next time I'm in for service - in about a month - I'll make it a point to test drive both the Sport and Limited/Touring trims.

Regarding the wagon, I think that's the beauty of the Outback - it does NOT drive like a wagon. It does not drive like a boat. It's pretty tight, and while it's a little higher up than my 09 Legacy was and didn't have as tight of a turning radius, it drives pretty much like any other Subaru sedan... I actually like the Outback a little more than the Crosstrek because I felt a little cramped in the 19 Trek, but I think this is because it was what I was used to.

I am not hellbent on the 2020 OB, so I'm pretty curious about the Forester. Something to think about, certainly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2019 Foz Sport "Sport Grille" accessory question

Hi,

Looking at the Sport Grille accessory on the Foz Sport. The rest of the accents are dark/black, but this has a large chrome top around the Subie logo. Is that not a part of the grille, or is it all one piece? Seems to kind of ruin the look of the Foz Sport.

If it's just the Honeycomb black grille part, I'm in... :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
160 Posts
How does one get 3 years for it? :wink2:

I only see 1 year.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Again, it was an offer that popped up when I logged into MySubaru.com and registered my Forester.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it seems like it’s a promo for sale date to 6 months of ownership. If you like the app, get the longest subscription!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Hi,

Looking at the Sport Grille accessory on the Foz Sport. The rest of the accents are dark/black, but this has a large chrome top around the Subie logo. Is that not a part of the grille, or is it all one piece? Seems to kind of ruin the look of the Foz Sport.

If it's just the Honeycomb black grille part, I'm in... :)
I tried getting a visual of the sport grills but cannot find any pics. This is all I could find and a few variants:

https://parts.subaru.com/accessories/Subaru_2019_Forester/Style.html

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I'll try e-mailing the parts department and see. My local dealer contacts weren't sure.

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5 Sports CVT, SI-Drive (S & I modes)
229 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts