Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was completely sold on the new Forester until my wife and I came across Motor Treand's recent review and comparison of compact SUVs. More specifically -

The big new Forester maintains its underpowered tendencies to a fault; unfortunately, it doesn't deliver on the ride or handling qualities we expect from Subaru. "I'm pretty fed up with the ride after 20 minutes," Rechtin said. He's not alone. The Forester galumphs down the road like an old Cadillac, even the smallest of bumps making the Subaru porpoise on its bump stops. If a member of your family is prone to carsickness, move along.
We do a lot of HWY driving as we live in a rural area and road trips to Orlando or Miami from Tampa area. Case in point we have a 2015 Highlander with 82K miles, which we are keeping.

This will be my wife's primary vehicle and we intend to offset some mileage from the Highlander's usage on road trips. To add some context she is coming from a BMW 135i with the sport package. Seat comfort and ride quality are main factors. Based on the article it seems as thought the Mazda CX-5 and Honda CR-V are winners in this arena. All of our vehicles are long term 5+ years and residual value knocks Mazda out of the list.

I'm looking for owners to provide their input on the ride quality and comfort of seats. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
So instead of taking a long test drive yourself, you're going to let some dipshit reviewer in a Mag color your impression? We took a long test drive of one, we are definitely buying one this spring, maybe two.

I've actually taken several cars on overnight test drives in the past. Had an XT overnight, helped me realize the last generation wasn't for me.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
447 Posts
There has already been a long thread on this subject.

Take all reviews your read, including reviews here on this board, as just another biased opinion. Drive it yourself and see.

Keep in mind that car magazine reviewers tend to be performance-oriented. Therefore, they typically don't like anything that doesn't whip around corners the way they like.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
Take all review write ups with a huge grain of salt. Go on an extended drive, an overnight commute if you can swing it, evaluate yourself.

I used to hate automatics, still do, hate driving my wife’s Honda.

Subaru lured me in. Retired truck that was too burly and sport coupe that was too limiting into 1. Efficient crossover with bike toting, gravel road ready. CRV and Rav4 had long abandoned stick, Subaru was one of the few options for a stick remaining in 2015. Reviewers destroy CVTs worse than Autos... so that wasn’t an option.

Then for a service visit, ended up with a Forester CVT loaner over night for a commute at one point, and was wildly impressed. Smooth, no lurching, no seek and hunting gears.

When my 2015 was rear ended, I upgraded to a CVT, my first non-stick shift. Despite so many reviewers poopting on it. You gotta make your own decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I just sold my ‘19 Sport. There was a vibration through the floorboard so bad that my wife refused to ride in it. Over the course of two months (yes, I was without the car for two months) the dealer and Subaru corporate worked in tandem to figure it out, replacing wheels and the prop shaft (to no avail). “The ride was comparable to the other '19 Foresters on the lot” is what I was told. The suspension is definitely more floaty than previous models, as I had traded in my ‘15 Forester Premium for it (which seemed to hop over bumps as opposed to bounce). I’m also not a huge fan of the CVT, but didn’t mind it as much in the ‘15.

It’s not a terrible car by any means but compared to my wife’s '13 Santa Fe Limited AWD with 115k miles, it was definitely not as smooth. The seats were comfortable in the Sport (not leather). I can't speak for the higher trim leather.

Be sure to test drive on the highway, especially as passing speeds (70-80). This is something I neglected to do and wish I had.

FWIW, We replaced the Sport with a ‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate AWD 2.0T, where the ride quality and cabin noise is worlds apart better than the Forester (IMHO). I wouldnt hesitate to say that the Ultimate could even be compared to an Acura or BMW as far as fit and finish and ride quality. I would definitely recommend test driving one. There are also a ton of review videos on Youtube (for both cars).

If you want more info on my experience, search for a thread here called “Vibration through floorboard”.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,324 Posts
I was completely sold on the new Forester until my wife and I came across Motor Trend's recent review and comparison of compact SUVs.
I would put a lot more faith into what Consumer Reports has to say about the 2019 Forester:

"The ride is comfortable and supple, the steering is responsive, and there’s little body lean around corners."
"In the real world...the Forester has enough power to pass and merge successfully."

The 2019 Forester is CR's top-rated small SUV. Unlike Motor Trend, Consumer Reports accepts no advertising which may influence the reviews found in car magazines.

Best thing for you to do is test drive a 2019 Forester for yourself. After you do let us know if MT or CR is correct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've test driven both the FOZ and OB 2.5 for around 20-30 mins - highway and city. We like both and the practicality on the highway is on par. We like and appreciate the "rough around the edges" appeal of the Subaru. I think Subie is in a class of its own. As Menel suggested, an extended test drive is in order.

Really comfort over time on road trips is the line we're walking. Corolla seats in the Highlander Limited, Platinum hurts your coccyx after an hour of driving.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
36 Posts
Cx-5 will depreciate fast. CR-V is outdated and will likely get a styling update next year. Forester is the best option right now.

New CRV had a noisey engine with the turbo that still has oil issues from owners. No thanks. Mazda is too small inside and gas mileage is subpar for the class. Those were my impressions when I test drove before getting the Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
843 Posts
IMO, asking someone you don’t know at all about how a vehicle rides is about the same as asking them if you’ll like a particular interior/exterior color combination.

The “acid test” is test driving the vehicle and seeing how YOU think it rides...

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
66 Posts
1. The seats in the 2019 Forester Premium are excellent -- even better than the seats in my E-class Mercedes. Not quite as good as Volvo seats but very, very close.

2. The tires that came OE with my 2019 Fprester Premium made the steering, handling and ride feel like mush. The first, very slight snowfall also showed that the tires were not remotely capable of dealing with a Michigan winter. Changing the tires (to Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady) transformed not only the snow/ice capability but also sharpened the steering and handling. The ride is little firmer, with more bump/thump, but well worth the trade-off.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
I bought my 2019 Forester Limited last Thursday, my work commute is 60 miles round trip(45 min for morning, 55 min for evening) mostly on Parkways, Interstates, and a little bit on side roads, and the ride has been as smooth as silk. I have had the speed up over 70 a couple of times, and so far I love the feel of it! Not one complaint about the ride. I have to disagree with that Motor Trend review.

I saw Killcity's past thread about their vibration problem and had that on my mind when I test drove them. So obviously test drive the one that you are interested in buying to make sure that you do not end up with a lemon.

As for the seating, I was never a fan of leather seats, however in order to get the Limited trim I was had no choice other than leather. I have no issues with my seats as I find it perfectly comfortable and am now becoming a fan of leather finding out that they are not so bad after all. Obviously a test drive will help you with this as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
263 Posts
Keep in mind Motor Trend chose these as their Car of the Year:

1971 - Chevrolet Vega
1978 - Dodge Omni
1981 - Chrysler K Cars (Plymouth Reliant)
1983 - Renault Alliance

I don't think I would hold every one of their opinions in high esteem. Just sayin'.

My humble opinion of the 2019 Subaru Forester ride (we have the base model) is that for "normal", conservative drivers, it is solid and well-controlled. We only have 2,900 miles on it, but I've never felt floaty or seasick. It soaks up bumps with a distant "thump" and offers just enough feedback with the road to feel connected and not like you're part of a video game. I'm happy.

·
Registered
19 Forester Premium
21 Posts
The ride is great, smooth and controlled. Drive and judge for yourself.

I wish it was slightly firmer in fact myself! I lean towards the sportier side of things. I'd wager the 18" lower profile tires would suit me better personally (we have a Premium).

Good luck with your quest! Its a great SUV.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I feel bad for killcity on two counts:

1. he got a bad 2019 with a vibration issue that they couldn't resolve which is NOT normal for this vehicle. Should have just had Subaru replace it as a Lemon

2. he's now stuck with a Hyundai...

I gave them two months to replace the car. FWIW, I also drove two others and they both had the same issue. Maybe some people don’t notice it, but I did.

Hyundai makes some damned fine cars these days. No regrets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep in mind Motor Trend chose these as their Car of the Year:

1971 - Chevrolet Vega
1978 - Dodge Omni
1981 - Chrysler K Cars (Plymouth Reliant)
1983 - Renault Alliance

I don't think I would hold every one of their opinions in high esteem. Just sayin'.

My humble opinion of the 2019 Subaru Forester ride (we have the base model) is that for "normal", conservative drivers, it is solid and well-controlled. We only have 2,900 miles on it, but I've never felt floaty or seasick. It soaks up bumps with a distant "thump" and offers just enough feedback with the road to feel connected and not like you're part of a video game. I'm happy.

Don't forget the 2001 PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was completely sold on the new Forester until my wife and I came across Motor Treand's recent review and comparison of compact SUVs. More specifically -

We do a lot of HWY driving as we live in a rural area and road trips to Orlando or Miami from Tampa area. Case in point we have a 2015 Highlander with 82K miles, which we are keeping.

This will be my wife's primary vehicle and we intend to offset some mileage from the Highlander's usage on road trips. To add some context she is coming from a BMW 135i with the sport package. Seat comfort and ride quality are main factors. Based on the article it seems as thought the Mazda CX-5 and Honda CR-V are winners in this arena. All of our vehicles are long term 5+ years and residual value knocks Mazda out of the list.

I'm looking for owners to provide their input on the ride quality and comfort of seats. Thanks in advance.
These reviews are common for not only the Forester, but for similar car. The Forester, Crosstrek, Outback, and the like really weren't designed for the type of people that write car reviews. The cars don't have a lot of power, but they have enough power. The springs are softer than a lot of cars and will travel further over long bumps, and you get more of a rolling rise and fall in the suspension. This is very different from what you get from sporty cars and is often not what people who drive sporty cars like. The benefit for this type of suspension tuning is that you barely feel smaller bumps like railroad tracks, rocks, and stuff like that. Large bumps do lead to long 'rolls'. I think it's a nicer, more relaxed ride, but it's definitely at the expense of being sporty. I like how it handles. Everything is relative, relative to your wants and expectations.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
843 Posts
I gave them two months to replace the car. FWIW, I also drove two others and they both had the same issue. Maybe some people don’t notice it, but I did.

Hyundai makes some damned fine cars these days. No regrets.
Glad you found a vehicle that suits your wants and needs. Obviously, you are sensitive enough to pick up on something others don’t, seeing as how this issue was in 3 out of 3 cars you tried out.

There isn’t anything much worse than buying an expensive item, and then finding out it isn’t anything like you’d hoped it would be.

Thats why there are so many makes and models of vehicles. If we all wanted exactly the same things in a vehicle, the Model T would still be what everyone was buying and driving...

·
Registered
9 Posts
2019 Premium with about 1500k, in snow and on the roads the ride is excellent! I agree about the tires, but which new car comes with the best tires? I can't believe the MT review. My only problem is the gas mileage is too low (22) but it is winter and I've idled some. Previous cars 1986 GL10 (Subaru), 1996, 2004, 2008, (Civics) and (2) 2015 (CRVs).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts