Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have a 2019 Forester and I need to remove the back seat for cleaning. Has anyone done this before or know of a service manual that I can use to figure out how to do this? Thanks!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I removed mine entirely to make more room for Home Cheapo and camping

.. basically. remove everything behind the back seat, lots of stuff just unclip, do the same forward of the seat. This will expose mounting bolts and a central bracket
The above assumes not much has changed in two years time.
I just looked at it and started taking it apart, not too difficult if you,ve a mechanical eye.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
So put on your reading glasses, get a marker, some masking tape and " code" the plugs as you disconnect them.

For tha matter , use tape and marker to code all the bolts and positions where they go, as well as the small plastic connectors and any trim pieces.

Some plastic baggies to keep things organized, a notebook to record the steps and your camera to take pictures as you slowly do the deed.

If the above is too much to handle, see below....there are waterproof seat covers(I think Weathertech) to prevent this exercise in the future.

Suby tech manual subscrip

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the seat down and have the Subaru seat back covers and Subaru Weather mats. The issue happened between the 40/60 seat and it seeped down. Once I get the seat lifted and all cleaned up. I don’t think WeatherTech has a more affordable solution that a Home Depot rubber mat that contains accidents over the whole back seat at around $40.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I had the seat down and have the Subaru seat back covers and Subaru Weather mats. The issue happened between the 40/60 seat and it seeped down. Once I get the seat lifted and all cleaned up. I don’t think WeatherTech has a more affordable solution that a Home Depot rubber mat that contains accidents over the whole back seat at around $40.
Borax and baking soda are great absorbers of smells and moisture after you clean up as best as possible.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I concur with your baking soda and borax recommendation. I have the leather interior but it has some breathing areas and some material on the sides of the seat. I thing after several doses I will let the seat dry and then use Scotchguard on the material sides of seat.

Have looked at a 2015 Forester uTube video and saw a write-up with pictures. The front part of the rear seat look like a trick to do. Fortunately I have a borescope with video and will use it to figure out How-to get the seat to release. I will document what I have to do and post it here so anyone else looking to do this on a 2019 can get it done quickly then enjoy the rest of the weekend with the Fozzi!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
As I recall , I took off the seat backs first, then the base..
.There were( 2)bolts ,holding a rod that the seat backs pivot on, to the base. The rod passed thru a strong bracket bolted to the floor near the center.
I do not believe the seat is designed to be taken out in one piece.

You might as well add some soundproofing when you get it all pulled out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I might have a solution on removing the seat bottom.
at about the 10:15 part of video. CoverKing has seat covers for the 2019.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have leather seats so seat covers are moot as an endorsement by me.😏 However, I am grateful to CoverKing for the online how-to remove the bottom rear seat in the 2019.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts