Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
83 Posts
My 2019 Forester Limited seems a lot bigger than older Foresters that I see on the streets.
That's only because it IS :wink2:
I'm gonna miss my smaller 2003 when I get my 2019 (would have switched to more right-sized Crosstrek except for engine; right-sized for me, that is).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
162 Posts
It is bigger, and some little bit heavier and a few HPs stronger to move the weight, compared to our old '03 X.

Looked at Crosstrek, but no room once you get behind the front seat back.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
38 Posts
We have an ‘06 and just brought home a ‘19 last week. It’s hard to miss the difference when they’re parked next to each other in the driveway.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,429 Posts
No you don't ;)
But seriously I live in a town of 10,000..subarus everywhere. Have yet to see an XT (other than mine)
Where I live it is loaded with XTs. My understanding is that eastern Canada didn’t sell as many as out West where I’m at.

Just like I hear they prefer sedans over hatches out East. Weird and crazy east coasters aha.

My wife usually drives the 18xt, and I’m up for a new car in the next couple years. Not sure what I’m going to buy. I want a small suv, but there just isn’t anything that excites me.

Probably go hatch...oh well

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,319 Posts
Where I live it is loaded with XTs.
Same here in southern Arizona. XT's and Foresters in general are everywhere around Tucson. Seems like 1 out of every 3 is an XT.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Parked next to a recent older model the other day. The front hood actually seemed lower, not sure if overall height to roof was lower, too. (Not including racks). But as you go back more model families, the 2019 is clearly larger. Although that's common with a wide range of cars, they've been evolving bigger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just purchased my first Subaru Forester (my first Subaru period) last week and I'm curious for those that are able to compare, where is the most noticeable size difference? Is it in the height or is it in the length or both? So far, I love the car that I just bought, but I do wish it was a bit more compact lengthwise and a bit taller. I know I can easily compare listed dimensions by looking up the numbers online, but I'm curious how that translates visually when side-by-side.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,121 Posts
I just purchased my first Subaru Forester (my first Subaru period) last week and I'm curious for those that are able to compare, where is the most noticeable size difference? Is it in the height or is it in the length or both? So far, I love the car that I just bought, but I do wish it was a bit more compact lengthwise and a bit taller. I know I can easily compare listed dimensions by looking up the numbers online, but I'm curious how that translates visually when side-by-side.
The big change occurred between the SG (2nd generation) and SH, which was introduced in the US as the 2008 model. That's when the wheelbase increased by 4 inches, the overall length by 4 inches, width by 2 inches, and the height by 6 inches. The overall appearance of the earlier Foresters was that of a beefy compact station wagon; after that, it took on more of the guise of a small SUV.

The third, fourth, and new fifth gen Foresters are more similar, to the point where at first glance it's hard to distinguish a 2019 from a 2018, even though it's an entirely new vehicle. Between the 2009 and the 2019, additional gains have been only 1 inch in wheelbase and length, while width and height have remained essentially unchanged.

Since the Forester has sold in increasing numbers over the years, it's safe to say that far more of them on the road have the larger, more SUV-like appearance of the current version. I'd add, however, that since there are so many other, similar-looking cars on the roads now, they don't stand out nearly as distinctly as the earlier ones, which IMO are minor works of art from a styling perspective, particularly the SGs with the triangular tail lights and giant rear window.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The big change occurred between the SG (2nd generation) and SH, which was introduced in the US as the 2008 model. That's when the wheelbase increased by 4 inches, the overall length by 4 inches, width by 2 inches, and the height by 6 inches. The overall appearance of the earlier Foresters was that of a beefy compact station wagon; after that, it took on more of the guise of a small SUV.

The third, fourth, and new fifth gen Foresters are more similar, to the point where at first glance it's hard to distinguish a 2019 from a 2018, even though it's an entirely new vehicle. Between the 2009 and the 2019, additional gains have been only 1 inch in wheelbase and length, while width and height have remained essentially unchanged.

Since the Forester has sold in increasing numbers over the years, it's safe to say that far more of them on the road have the larger, more SUV-like appearance of the current version. I'd add, however, that since there are so many other, similar-looking cars on the roads now, they don't stand out nearly as distinctly as the earlier ones, which IMO are minor works of art from a styling perspective, particularly the SGs with the triangular tail lights and giant rear window.
Thank you so much!

What a wealth of information. I so appreciate that.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,319 Posts
The big change occurred between the SG (2nd generation) and SH, which was introduced in the US as the 2008 model.
I believe that the first year for the SH was 2009 in the US.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
20 Posts
Where I live it is loaded with XTs. My understanding is that eastern Canada didn’t sell as many as out West where I’m at.

Just like I hear they prefer sedans over hatches out East. Weird and crazy east coasters aha.

My wife usually drives the 18xt, and I’m up for a new car in the next couple years. Not sure what I’m going to buy. I want a small suv, but there just isn’t anything that excites me.

Probably go hatch...oh well
Have you checked out the new turbo CX-5? Probably gets a little pricey when you get to Signature AWD and add the turbo. Nice that it can still chug along on regular unleaded with some loss in power. I considered checking one out before buying a 19 Forester but my wife fell in love with the sport trim and is more brand loyal than me... and I'm approaching Subaru #10!!

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,870 Posts
I believe that the first year for the SH was 2009 in the US.
The first model year of the SH in the US was 2009 but I bought mine in April 2008--I think they may have started selling end of March 2008.

So everyone is right. The '09 was definitely larger than the earlier models, and our '17 is considerably more bulbous, with a higher hood and slabbier sides than the '09. (My son still has the '09 and my wife is driving the '17.) I think the increase from the SH to the '14 SJ was only an inch or two in length. The '19 is a half inch longer than the '18, so the increases are kind of microscopic...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,429 Posts
Have you checked out the new turbo CX-5? Probably gets a little pricey when you get to Signature AWD and add the turbo. Nice that it can still chug along on regular unleaded with some loss in power. I considered checking one out before buying a 19 Forester but my wife fell in love with the sport trim and is more brand loyal than me... and I'm approaching Subaru #10!!
Nothing wrong with the cx-5 turbo. It’s just not a platform I’m excited about for a quite a few reasons.

Bang for my buck (and if nothing in the suv world opens up), I’ll probably end up in a loaded Kia stinger, which I will modify slightly.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Ltd. CVT
19 Posts
We have a 2019 Subaru Ascent. I got to drive a 2019 Forester for a day and I came away with many impressions, but one is that the Forester is a smaller Ascent and the Ascent is a larger Forester. Using the 2014 Forester that we passed on to our daughter as a reference point, I feel that the new Forester has more in common the Ascent than the older Forester. It could be the Global Platform has much to do with with the what I am feeling. If I didn’t need the extra room, I would get a Forester without reservation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts