Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

641 - 653 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
What's your tire pressures? I have a 2019 Touring and in the suburbs I'm getting 27-28 city and have gotten (going downhill) 33 on the hiway. Tires are 36 front and 33 back. Just a thought.
Same, something wrong with the car if thats all you are getting...in the hills here I get 23-24 MPG (my old vehicles got 15-17 MPG same hills) going on the expressway on a FLAT more or less it gets 37-38.....rolling hill type highway at 70 ..33-34 MPG city is about 25-27MPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are there other dealers in your area? If so take it to one of them. And as an old guy (me not u) , if you really hate it get rid of it and get something else. Nothing worse driving A NEW car you don't like. If you can do it (key word is if) , take the hit and get something you like.
Nothing within 30 ish minutes; might be a decent idea too. But I'm semi old too.... But I really wish to get rid of it but not unless I can get 0 or damn near 0% apr on something I really want, since the Forester I got is also 0% apr.

Same, something wrong with the car if thats all you are getting...in the hills here I get 23-24 MPG (my old vehicles got 15-17 MPG same hills) going on the expressway on a FLAT more or less it gets 37-38.....rolling hill type highway at 70 ..33-34 MPG city is about 25-27MPG
At what miles will these engines be broken in? If you guys are getting significantly better mpg around the city with the same MPG, then I will press the local dealer more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nothing within 30 ish minutes; might be a decent idea too. But I'm semi old too.... But I really wish to get rid of it but not unless I can get 0 or damn near 0% apr on something I really want, since the Forester I got is also 0% apr.

At what miles will these engines be broken in? If you guys are getting significantly better mpg around the city with the same MPG, then I will press the local dealer more.
ALL the foresters ive driven and ive driven a LOT of them in the 8-4,000 range all were getting in the mid 30's highway and mid 20's city

·
Registered
16 Posts
ALL the foresters ive driven and ive driven a LOT of them in the 8-4,000 range all were getting in the mid 30's highway and mid 20's city
WTH is 8-4000 range? You've driven them from 8 miles to 4000 miles?

Anyway I haven't come close to 30 yet on 3+ full tanks of highway mileage. I know there is a problem (low mpg) but I don't know what is the cause of this problem...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
124 Posts
I did a 3.5 hour drive where I averaged around 50 mph. I don’t know the exact mileage, but it was at least 35 if not higher. I got nearly 500 miles on that tank and still had around 1/4 left when I filled up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
WTH is 8-4000 range? You've driven them from 8 miles to 4000 miles?

Anyway I haven't come close to 30 yet on 3+ full tanks of highway mileage. I know there is a problem (low mpg) but I don't know what is the cause of this problem...
Foresters in the 2017-2020 year range that had when I was driving them anywhere from 8 to 4K miles on them they ALL got at least 30-36 highway and 24-26 city/mixed as its hilly around here.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
115 Posts
I've had my 2019 Forester for 13 months, put on 11K miles. MPG has improved slightly, but still below the listed ratings. Got 30-31 on the couple road trips we've taken. Only get 21-23 in my daily commute. I chalk that up to stop & go driving on hilly roads, and having a heavy right foot. It's still better than the 16-17 MPG I got in my last car, 2005 LGT wagon (using premium gas).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my 2019 Forester for 13 months, put on 11K miles. MPG has improved slightly, but still below the listed ratings. Got 30-31 on the couple road trips we've taken. Only get 21-23 in my daily commute. I chalk that up to stop & go driving on hilly roads, and having a heavy right foot. It's still better than the 16-17 MPG I got in my last car, 2005 LGT wagon (using premium gas).
Ya there is some minor stop and go around me, but it's all flat here and I drive like a grandma out of curiosity to see if it helps and it doesn't. I don't think this thing has gone above 3k RPMs except for maybe twice the entire time I've owned it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
115 Posts
Ya there is some minor stop and go around me, but it's all flat here and I drive like a grandma out of curiosity to see if it helps and it doesn't. I don't think this thing has gone above 3k RPMs except for maybe twice the entire time I've owned it.
Driving to work I use Sport mode, definitely goes above 3K RPM. The rest of time I use I mode, I don't drive like grandma but I don't drive it like I stole it. Although this car doesn't have enough power for the latter (compared to my previous car).
I run 2-3psi above what the placard says, might try 40/38psi to see if it helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had a flashback to a roommate from 10 years ago. He had a Ford Focus or Fiesta or something, I don't remember exactly. But he told me that when he put a roof rack on his car, he lost 2-3 MPG's.

Anyway, my Sport has those optional cross bars that came with the OEM roof rack. I'm wondering if that's the issue. Has anyone seen a decrease in MPG's with these cars by having the roof rack crossbars on it? I mean 2-3 MPG's doesn't account for my massive loss, but that's better than nothing...

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,141 Posts
Hi @Beejis60 - yes, just those bars will cause some MPG loss - might not be alot... but anytime you add items that create more drag and disrupt the aerodynamics you will see a % of decrease in MPG...

Also remember that when the EPA figures out those "official" MPG numbers it's on a system that has pretty much no relation to any "real" road.. It's usually done in an enclosed and climate controlled environment, on a set of rollers and often times the "highway" MPG is figured at speeds well below the national limte of 70 MPH ... I think I read something somewhere sometime that they speed they used was 48 or 50 MPH... I think that there was a change sometime in the 90s where they altered the program so that it would alter the way the machine ran to simulate hills or at least minor changes to mimic an incline or decline.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi @Beejis60 - yes, just those bars will cause some MPG loss - might not be alot... but anytime you add items that create more drag and disrupt the aerodynamics you will see a % of decrease in MPG...

Also remember that when the EPA figures out those "official" MPG numbers it's on a system that has pretty much no relation to any "real" road.. It's usually done in an enclosed and climate controlled environment, on a set of rollers and often times the "highway" MPG is figured at speeds well below the national limte of 70 MPH ... I think I read something somewhere sometime that they speed they used was 48 or 50 MPH... I think that there was a change sometime in the 90s where they altered the program so that it would alter the way the machine ran to simulate hills or at least minor changes to mimic an incline or decline.
The EPA revised their testing to be a little more realistic in recent years, but it's still far from perfect. But remember that my MPG is downright atrocious.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,141 Posts
What do you consider "low"...? I remember seeing something in a post about low/mid 20s in your daily commute (stop n go, some hills, etc.)... and I remember something about low 30s on a few highway drives? Is that right?

Or was that somebody else...?

For my 2014 Forester, I'm seeing usually low 20s per tank. I work from home so I have no commute. My 2014 currently has 45000 miles. I live in the deserts of SoCal - so my AC system is on non-stop for at least 3 months per year, on some or much of the time for another 3 months and then barely or not at all for 6 months of the year. But during much of those 6 months of not needing the AC, the big roof is often open...

85 or 90% of my driving is on surface streets, with other traffic, traffic lights (a lot red) and short trips (groceries, library, restaurants, whatever) - usually just a mile or two most ways. I do have a heavy foot and tend to move quickly away from a stop.

When I am conscious of trying to better my MPG, I try to keep under 3000 RPM but try to get up to speed quickly. There has been some discussion (on here and elsewhere) as to whether it is better to accelerate slowly to speed or quickly to speed - as the faster you "hit" your target speed, the longer you can spend in maintaining the speed which uses less gas than getting to your speed...

I also do some "engine on, AC on, in park" waiting or sitting - which consumes gas also. I usually start to think about getting gas at 250 to 280 miles (which often has about 1/4 tank showing on the digital gauge) and put in between 11 and 12 gallons of gas, maybe 13 - so about 21 to 25 MPG. Summertime full blast AC is maybe 240 out of 12 gallons. But I've also seen a low of the high-teens (maybe 17 or 18 MPG)....

Best MPG I've seen was about 350 miles on about 14 gallons - and that was a trip back down from Big Bear area to the desert floor - but included a lot of 70 and 80 MPH on the freeway. With the aerodynamics of a brick and the roof basket...

641 - 653 of 653 Posts